collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Plaudits are due!!  (Read 11199 times)

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Plaudits are due!!
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2015, 02:17:46 AM »
Quantity isn' t quality, but time will tell.

Frankly I don't give a monkey's chuff whether the signings were done months in advance with meticulous planning or were agreed over 10 pints of  Inferno, written on the back of a fag packet- all signings are a gamble.

Barry, Barry Fry? Is that you?

I thought it was Martin O'Neill but then remembered he didn't smoke.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2015, 09:28:09 AM »
I think some people are missing the point.  It's not so much about who we've signed specifically but the professional (finally) way in which the club have gone about bringing in promising players in good time for the season.  I think most people accept that new signings can always go either way, even the Shevchenkos and Falcaos of this world aren't guaranteed to work out.  I think credit is due for the approach, especially if they now add some more defensive options.

True to an extend, but the professionalism can only really be judged once the quality of the players is apparent, after all to spend money is not difficult, to spend it in a sustainable way, much more difficult.

I disagree, the quality of the players is often a gamble however much you spend and however you bring them in.  There are no guarantees, but I would have thought an approach where the signings are part of an overall strategy, are well scouted and brought in relatively early to give them a run together in pre-season, has more chance of succeeding.     

Offline Boz

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2015, 10:03:20 AM »
I was not applauding who we have signed.   Only time will tell us the answer to that one.   What I am applauding is the way we have gone about our business.   There has clearly been a plan.   In my eyes it is a very astute plan to look for european players and pay with record low Euros.   France was always going to offer opportunities to acquire better class players at competitive prices and players willing to move a relatively short distance for better wages than they can earn in Ligue Un.
I do not ask every new player we sign to be a Benteke, all I ask is for the purchase of the player to be done in a planned, positive and professional way.   For five years every sign coming out of VP was that we were making it up as we went along.   That that is over is reason enough to celebrate.

Spot on. For the first time in a long time, the club looks like it's being run on a professional basis.

Well done to all concerned, let's hope they are able to deliver improved results throughout the season.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2015, 11:03:53 AM »
I honestly can't comment on the signings as not seen any of them play. Maybe Crespo in Europa League games gone by. Haven't even looked at the YT footage of the others.

However there seems to be a more imaginative approach to signings for the first time in a long time so the recruitment side has been done effectively.

I now hope this is transposed to the playing side in the coming weeks.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2015, 11:21:04 AM »
I honestly can't comment on the signings as not seen any of them play. Maybe Crespo in Europa League games gone by. Haven't even looked at the YT footage of the others.

However there seems to be a more imaginative approach to signings for the first time in a long time so the recruitment side has been done effectively.

I now hope this is transposed to the playing side in the coming weeks.

Have you watched any of the pre-season footage?  Amavi looks a fantastic prospect from both the YT footage and from his perfromances so far, I think we might have bagged an absolute bargain there, looks every bit as good as Luke Shaw to me.

Online KRS

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2015, 12:11:15 PM »
The only cause for concern I've noticed with the new players is that they make (with a few exceptions) the remaining squad members look as bad as we thought they were. Its like having a new kitchen fitted, filled with all the latest mod cons and appliances...except you forgot to buy a new kettle and toaster because they did a job.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2015, 12:23:17 PM »
The only cause for concern I've noticed with the new players is that they make (with a few exceptions) the remaining squad members look as bad as we thought they were. Its like having a new kitchen fitted, filled with all the latest mod cons and appliances...except you forgot to buy a new kettle and toaster because they did a job.

From what I've seen Westwood and Clark have stepped up and Gil, Bacuna, Kozak and Sinclair have shown they can do the same.  Grealish was showing the rest of the squad up already last year so I'm confident he'll fit right in as well.  If Guzan, Okore and Sanchez step up as well that's the core of the matchday 18 all performing at a higher level than we're used to, which is what I thik will happen, but it may take a few games for them to all get properly used to each other and start looking like a unit.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2015, 01:14:39 PM »
To my mind all the players Sherwood inherited have been signed on frees from a particuarly shite team. Let's see what they can do with the benefit of  decent coaches; remember that in his first season Westwood was as good as the snake. 

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2015, 02:07:17 PM »
To my mind all the players Sherwood inherited have been signed on frees from a particuarly shite team. Let's see what they can do with the benefit of  decent coaches; remember that in his first season Westwood was as good as the snake. 

I agree.  He has actually got worse since he has been here in some aspects.  He was much more willing to pass/move when he first joined and has only shown that fleetingly since.  I think he is now stronger however and possibly is starting to feel that he belongs at this level.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2015, 02:22:58 PM »

I agree.  He has actually got worse since he has been here in some aspects.  He was much more willing to pass/move when he first joined and has only shown that fleetingly since.  I think he is now stronger however and possibly is starting to feel that he belongs at this level.

Westwood is a very tidy passer of the ball and is a good player when we are in possession. If he can add more first time passes to his game to surprise opponents he can be dangerous for us.

Defensively he is not great and he needs to work more on interceptions and being a nuisance.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2015, 03:30:50 PM »
Westwood could become the Carrodus/ Bremner type player the team needs (seniors please explain to juniors)

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2015, 06:29:37 PM »
Westwood could become the Carrodus/ Bremner type player the team needs (seniors please explain to juniors)

We need an old bloke in midfield.*

* I was being facetious!

Offline gervilla

« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2015, 06:54:17 PM »
He may need some Red Bull.

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2015, 07:01:47 PM »
Oldtimernow

Not even mo farah can run as much as frank carrodus
Wish we had him now mate

Utv

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2015, 07:06:47 PM »
To be fair we were mostly very complimentary about he way we did business in Lambert's first window. There always seemed to be an alternative if the selling club messed about and we had no problem dropping a deal and moving on if it looked like getting sticky.

Maybe the difference this time around is the apparent quality of the players we have bought, and it does help when you have a Benteke to sell.

The proof will be in the playing, but if some players we have bought in this window turn out to be as good investments as Benteke, Lerner's fourth generation Villa will be some team.

I'd certainly agree with the sentiments about coaching. In pre-season Westwood and Bacuna especially have already looked more accomplished  players.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal