collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[Today at 11:47:33 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[Today at 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jordan Amavi - gone again  (Read 208843 times)

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: Jordan Amavi
« Reply #1125 on: December 31, 2016, 06:11:34 PM »
I can't quite work out how taking someones legs in the box is an auto red for denying a scoring opportunity but using your hand to push the ball off their head in a similar place isn't.

It's not anymore (the first one) - they changed the laws in the summer, if it's not deemed to be a deliberate foul then it's just a caution rather than a red.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #1126 on: December 31, 2016, 06:29:22 PM »
Leeds were regularly targeting balls down his side and clearly identified his defensive frailties . He has no positional sense. If someone is offering £25m (and I very much doubt it) I would bite their hand off.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #1127 on: December 31, 2016, 07:33:39 PM »
Leeds were regularly targeting balls down his side and clearly identified his defensive frailties . He has no positional sense. If someone is offering £25m (and I very much doubt it) I would bite their hand off.

And their arms and legs

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1128 on: December 31, 2016, 08:32:36 PM »

It could be that or it could be that he had Sacko and Ayling both on him and their striker was drifting to that side as well, put any left back in that situation and they'll make positional errors because he had no choice but to leave gaps.  If you watch it back you'll notice that the point where his positioning became really suspect was when Ayew went off (actually for about 10 minutes before because Ayew looked fucked after about 50-55 and stopped tracking back) and we had no one on the left side of midfield, they realised and pushed Ayling much higher up the pitch.

This is why I'd like us to buy someone who is naturally a left of centre midfielder who can help out in this cases, it allows the left sided attacker to be higher up the pitch (which keeps their full-back in check anyway) and stops Amavi being exposed.  Someone LIKE barry or delph, naturally left sided, good defensively and either fit enough or talented enough to ofer something going forward as well.

Offline peter w

« Reply #1129 on: January 01, 2017, 03:22:52 PM »
Not sure it's been mentioned but credit must go to Amavi for making the mistake at the end and recovering in time to get a touch on the shot that hit the bar. make the error and clean up your mess. He should be applauded for that at least.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #1130 on: January 01, 2017, 03:35:59 PM »
Not sure it's been mentioned but credit must go to Amavi for making the mistake at the end and recovering in time to get a touch on the shot that hit the bar. make the error and clean up your mess. He should be applauded for that at least.

Totally agree. Great recovery. He'll be some player given time and once fit.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1131 on: January 01, 2017, 03:44:25 PM »
l

Agree totally. His defensive game can be coached, but he has all the natural talent to succeed.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1132 on: January 01, 2017, 08:39:02 PM »
l

Agree totally. His defensive game can be coached, but he has all the natural talent to succeed.

The bold bit is key.  I think as a club we've spent a fair bit of time focusing on players who don't have that, people like Gabby, Hutton, Westwood, Gestede can all be effective and at times have worked hard but the lack of natural ability is a limiting factor.  It's my concern with Baker as well, he's playing really well at the moment and has worked hard to get to the level he is but there's still problems because he just doesn't have the natural instincts you'd expect.

Offline john2710

« Reply #1133 on: January 01, 2017, 08:48:34 PM »
A few years ago Walker when he was with us and Rose when he was at Sunderland had loads of defensive flaws but bags of ability. They've both improved defensively since then. Amavi fits into the same category, he may not be worth £25m now but he will, given time.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #1134 on: January 01, 2017, 09:17:11 PM »
A few years ago Walker when he was with us and Rose when he was at Sunderland had loads of defensive flaws but bags of ability. They've both improved defensively since then. Amavi fits into the same category, he may not be worth £25m now but he will, given time.

I agree completely (well maybe not the exact numbers).  However will add that it will only happen if the club place the greatest emphasis on having the best coaches and a manager that works them hard and buys in to the development strategy.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #1135 on: January 16, 2017, 11:53:52 AM »
With Cissoko leaving looks like Amavi is well a truly staying. I would like Brady to come in to help support him both as a cover during a match but also if he was injured.
Then in  summer reassess what will happen.
I have to say seeing fully the wolves match that he was a joy when he skipped over a few tackles and clipped in a delicious cross for mcCormack header. I'd like to see a constant threat by this guy going forward and I do feel despite having defensive laps that he can be a threat and value addition like a Danny rose or Monreal is too spurs and arsenal

Online aj2k77

« Reply #1136 on: January 16, 2017, 11:55:36 AM »
Don't rate him at all. I've seen a fair few left backs in this crap division this season much more solid than he is, he looks like he's worth a couple of million.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #1137 on: January 16, 2017, 11:58:36 AM »
Defensively he can be shambolic but like to think he improved.  I felt initially under Bruce he had got message on how to defend but he's fallen a bit . 

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #1138 on: January 16, 2017, 12:03:50 PM »
He is not a left back, positionally unaware and a bottler even before is injury. He is a left sided midfielder who with a decent left back behind him would make us much more solid

totally disagree about the coaching bit, if at nearly 23 you are a defender who is shit at defending then it aint going to happen

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #1139 on: January 16, 2017, 12:58:53 PM »
Been saying it all season and got criticised for it - he can't defend.
I'm glad people are finally seeing it

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal