collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jordan Amavi - gone again  (Read 208761 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Jordan Amavi
« Reply #1110 on: December 30, 2016, 07:54:41 PM »
I think he had a good first half, 2nd half he didn't have a great time but he was 2 on 1 with Sacko and Ayling far more than he should've been and the gap between him and Baker was far too wide meaning he was caught between 2 bad decisions far too many times.  He didn't help himself with some of the dithering though.
Even though he tried to shepherd the ball out, failed, fell on his backside appealing for something and nearly cost us a goal?

So 1 defensive mistake means that anything else he did should be ignored?  Also, that specific moment wasn't all that disimilar to one at the other end 5 minutes earlier where Bacuna conceded a free kick, I couldn't really work out how the ref saw one as a foul and not the other.  I know that's not entirely relevant but I do think the ref was very lenient with Leeds in the first half, can't work out how the leveler on Grealish wasn't a foul at the very least.  The dithering over the penalty would've been the last straw if he hadn't given it and I can't quite work out how taking someones legs in the box is an auto red for denying a scoring opportunity but using your hand to push the ball off their head in a similar place isn't.  Accidental handball is one thing but a genuine professional foul like that really has to be a red for me.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1111 on: December 30, 2016, 07:57:47 PM »
Brilliant and totally awful at the same time. Hold out for 25.1m and then sell.

The Savo of left backs. Keep hold, if history repeats itself someone will offer about £100m for him 12 months down the line.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1112 on: December 30, 2016, 08:04:14 PM »
He was okay going forwards but poor at the back. He does tend to make a mistake or two a game but gets away with it as he has the pace to get back and make amends. He didn't have that luxury yesterday as the Leeds player he was against was a quick fucker, too.

He's still learning and will get better. He's also just come back from a year out and, for the most part, been very good for us. I wouldn't be so dismissive of his abilities as some are on here.

Exactly right.  I think the current problem is that he has a striker out of position in front of him most games and a central defender with a history of positional problems inside him and no one really talking to him in the game to help him get his head back in the game after a mistake.  Like Grealish there's enough natural talent there that I want to see us build a team with him in mind.  I suspect he could become a very, very good full back in a couple of years.

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #1113 on: December 30, 2016, 08:19:33 PM »
Gareth Bale started out in much the same way. He looked a disaster as a defender.
I

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1114 on: December 30, 2016, 08:20:12 PM »
Gareth Bale started out in much the same way. He looked a disaster as a defender.
I

I, and I

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1115 on: December 30, 2016, 08:23:12 PM »
Amavi reminds me of Kyle Walker when he was with us. Good going forward, suspect defensively at times but with the pace to make up for it a lot of the time.

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #1116 on: December 30, 2016, 08:28:50 PM »
I

I, and I

I

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #1117 on: December 30, 2016, 08:39:30 PM »
I Claudius.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1118 on: December 30, 2016, 08:57:29 PM »
I
And I. I looked a disaster as a defender but severely better than as a midfielder or forward😟

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #1119 on: December 30, 2016, 09:37:54 PM »
Amavi is only 22. Defenders tend to really mature around 26/27. Still has a lot to learn, but the talent is there.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #1120 on: December 31, 2016, 11:31:35 AM »
He missed nearly all of last season with a horrendous injury, so he got very little experience of English football. He has had six managers since he arrived. The team has been relegated. New team members have joined the group. He is reasonably young with, imo, a potentially successful career in front of him. I have seen improvement throughout this season. The last couple of matches he has made poor decisions but he will learn and become better. As always we need to be patient, support our younger players and give them confidence to improve.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1121 on: December 31, 2016, 12:38:30 PM »
Because defenders are asked to do loads more than they used to do there is very few really good ones who rarely make mistakes even at the top of the prem teams all have defenders that do dodgy things
there are no more like Stuart Pearce anymore who was just great at defending,
If we sold Amavi and I think I would be tempted at 25 mill to be honest, it would be impossible to find a defender who was without faults especially at this level and for reasonable money
Just look at the goalkeepers we are going through, they are all no better than Guzan who made mistakes but was still better than Bunn etc

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #1122 on: December 31, 2016, 04:44:50 PM »
....... and I can't quite work out how taking someones legs in the box is an auto red for denying a scoring opportunity but using your hand to push the ball off their head in a similar place isn't.  Accidental handball is one thing but a genuine professional foul like that really has to be a red for me.

I am surprised nobody else has mentioned this.  From the first replay I saw, I thought he clearly deliberately pushed the ball away from Gestede's head to prevent him scoring.  From his position, the referee should not have missed the handball and if he had seen it, he might have deemed it deliberate and a sending off offense.  The linesman clearly saw what happened but would the referee accept the linesman saying it was a penalty and it was deliberate.  Did the referee take the easy option by just giving a penalty.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1123 on: December 31, 2016, 05:06:01 PM »
....... and I can't quite work out how taking someones legs in the box is an auto red for denying a scoring opportunity but using your hand to push the ball off their head in a similar place isn't.  Accidental handball is one thing but a genuine professional foul like that really has to be a red for me.

I am surprised nobody else has mentioned this.  From the first replay I saw, I thought he clearly deliberately pushed the ball away from Gestede's head to prevent him scoring.  From his position, the referee should not have missed the handball and if he had seen it, he might have deemed it deliberate and a sending off offense.  The linesman clearly saw what happened but would the referee accept the linesman saying it was a penalty and it was deliberate.  Did the referee take the easy option by just giving a penalty.

He gave him a yellow card which means they saw it as a deliberate handball but not as denying a goalscoring chance.  It's the latter interpretation that I think is questionable.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #1124 on: December 31, 2016, 05:24:51 PM »

He gave him a yellow card which means they saw it as a deliberate handball but not as denying a goalscoring chance.  It's the latter interpretation that I think is questionable.

Didn't he get the yellow card for dissent.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal