collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jordan Amavi - gone again  (Read 208757 times)

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
Re: Jordan Amavi
« Reply #900 on: October 23, 2016, 07:12:38 PM »
More games, more improvement. An exciting player going forward needs to defend better which I think will come under SB. I maybe wrong but seems to want to be at the club.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #901 on: October 23, 2016, 07:57:39 PM »
He does seem to want to be at the club. Which I have to say I find surprising

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #902 on: October 23, 2016, 09:33:28 PM »
I've always thought he was the best signing we made last summer, the injury was immensely frustrating and he was always going to need a few months to get back up to speed but he's streets ahead of cissokho and hopefully will nail the position down, build his confidence and be ready to show his stuff in the premier league once we get back.

For info the year when Lambert 'went foreign' I said at least a couple of times that I suspected Baucna would be the best signing of the lot, seeing him get a bit of a run and getting fans back onside is good, I think he could be a very good full back as well (and capable cover in centre mid if needed).

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #903 on: October 23, 2016, 11:55:05 PM »
He does seem to want to be at the club. Which I have to say I find surprising

Professional pride maybe? Doesn't want to leave knowing the deal didn't work and would rather fight and make it work? Which would be fair enough and would get a lot more respect for that sort of attitude.

Offline Havencheese

« Reply #904 on: October 24, 2016, 07:58:56 AM »
He may well have wanted to repay faith in the club. The cynic in me thinks however that he may have had limited interest elsewhere, coming back from a serious long term injury.

Appears to be on the right track.

Offline alan_clarke

« Reply #905 on: October 24, 2016, 11:30:59 AM »
Liked his attitude on Saturday - he put in a great shift and I'm sure Bruce can help iron out some of his defensive inadequacies.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #906 on: October 24, 2016, 11:40:01 AM »
His attitude is fine and he now appears to be working a bit harder.  However, for the life of me I do not see an £11 million player in him. Last season before his injury he performed fairly well up till the 75th minute mark after that it was like he'd been switched off. That might appear a bit harsh but I can only go by what I see. We need him to be very good and really prove his worth.  He should be the best full back in this league.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #907 on: October 24, 2016, 11:58:54 AM »
We still haven't reached the one year anniversary of his knee injury, so I think we have to be patient, given the nature of the injury. It's one thing if it had been something other than the ACL, but the point is just about always made that it takes a particularly long time to get back up to speed from such an injury because a player needs time to regain full confidence in the strength of the knee from a mental standpoint.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #908 on: October 24, 2016, 12:02:01 PM »
I like Amavi but he certainly didn't look 11m quid's worth on Saturday - neat and tidy at times but didn't really put in a killer cross.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #909 on: October 24, 2016, 02:20:43 PM »
He can cross as he showed from a couple of Gestede's goals in the early part of last season.

What people need to remember is he didn't play much in pre season, think he played a few minutes of the Boro friendly and that was it so will take a while to get properly match fit.

I think he's a class act though and we'll be all the better when he has a run of 5 starts.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #910 on: October 24, 2016, 02:26:07 PM »
I thought it was reported as being around £9m we paid for him, not £11m. He's only started a dozen league games games in total for us so hardly surprising he's not yet firing on all cylinders yet after so long out and so little football.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #911 on: October 24, 2016, 03:11:33 PM »
We still haven't reached the one year anniversary of his knee injury, so I think we have to be patient, given the nature of the injury. It's one thing if it had been something other than the ACL, but the point is just about always made that it takes a particularly long time to get back up to speed from such an injury because a player needs time to regain full confidence in the strength of the knee from a mental standpoint.

After any major injury I think it takes 6-10 games to get back into the mental shape needed to play at your best.  The example we should always look to is Delph who kept getting little runs of 2-4 games and looking well off the pace and it was only in his last couple of seasons where he got a good summer behind him and got a run of games that he started looking like the player we wanted him to be.  Giving players that time is the real challenge but when the alternative is Cissokho it's worth the effort.

Offline Old Kodjia

« Reply #912 on: October 24, 2016, 03:55:20 PM »

After any major injury I think it takes 6-10 games to get back into the mental shape needed to play at your best.  The example we should always look to is Delph who kept getting little runs of 2-4 games and looking well off the pace and it was only in his last couple of seasons where he got a good summer behind him and got a run of games that he started looking like the player we wanted him to be.  Giving players that time is the real challenge but when the alternative is Cissokho it's worth the effort.

I thought that Saturday was very encouraging.  Maybe the lack of pressure that we were put under helped but I was very pleased with his performance.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #913 on: October 24, 2016, 07:20:05 PM »

Add Benteke at Liverpool to the list too.  Players need a run of games to get up to speed.
Is Delph getting any games at man City?

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #914 on: October 24, 2016, 07:25:28 PM »
only 3 this season it would appear

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal