collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jordan Amavi - gone again  (Read 208795 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Jordan Amavi CONFIRMED
« Reply #510 on: July 30, 2015, 12:42:03 AM »
He's not bad as a straight up defender who isn't required to join the attack. However it's very rare to find those nowadays and all full backs need to have some ability to come forward and look comfortable in possession of the football. Cissokho just doesn't know what he's doing when he tries to do that.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #511 on: July 30, 2015, 12:45:12 AM »
I'd rather have Bennett as back up than the woeful cissoko

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #512 on: July 30, 2015, 07:27:18 AM »
I really like amavi - he may actually be right footed he uses it so much

But he does need to improve defensively it seems. Against wolves he was poor at tracking his runners and a bit dodgy under the high ball. I wondered about using him in midfield to begin with.

If he does start a bit wobbly it won't take long for the grumpier members of the trinity to get on his back you'd think

Online KRS

« Reply #513 on: July 31, 2015, 01:47:24 AM »
He was rated as one of the best defenders in Europe last season so I don't question his defensive abilities. From what I've seen he literally sprints back into position to track players and I'd be inclined to point to Sinclair for any issues with tracking back against Wolves. He's made a few mistakes with ball control, but he's obviously a bit nervous and finding his feet so that will come with confidence when he's more settled and familiar with his new team mates.

What did piss me off against Wolves was how he made himself open on the left and the midfield either slowed played down or seemingly refused to pass him the ball...I'm not sure why.

As for the Trinity moaners...I'm sure he'll have them on side pretty sharpish with the amount of running and skills he'll be showcasing down the left wing.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #514 on: July 31, 2015, 10:15:23 AM »
He was rated as one of the best defenders in Europe last season so I don't question his defensive abilities. From what I've seen he literally sprints back into position to track players and I'd be inclined to point to Sinclair for any issues with tracking back against Wolves. He's made a few mistakes with ball control, but he's obviously a bit nervous and finding his feet so that will come with confidence when he's more settled and familiar with his new team mates.

What did piss me off against Wolves was how he made himself open on the left and the midfield either slowed played down or seemingly refused to pass him the ball...I'm not sure why.

As for the Trinity moaners...I'm sure he'll have them on side pretty sharpish with the amount of running and skills he'll be showcasing down the left wing.

The first paragraph is pretty much exactly what I was going post on here, especially the bit referring to Sinclair who left their right back unmarked repeatedly.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #515 on: July 31, 2015, 10:21:15 AM »
I wasn't really referring to the goal but there were plenty of other times that he let his man get a start on him

I think he looks bloody brilliant so as much as anything I'm just hoping that if he does make some early mistakes people don't get on top of him

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #516 on: July 31, 2015, 10:24:02 AM »
I wasn't really referring to the goal but there were plenty of other times that he let his man get a start on him

I think he looks bloody brilliant so as much as anything I'm just hoping that if he does make some early mistakes people don't get on top of him

As I say though, those times were often when they were 2 on 1 against him and Sinclair was ambling around 30yards up the pitch.  It may be that those were Sinclairs instructions but for me if you're playing against a side playing 442 and one of their fullbacks is breaking forward at will someone from midfield needs to start looking to help the fullback.

Online KRS

« Reply #517 on: July 31, 2015, 11:17:39 AM »
I wouldn't be too concerned with that to be fair...Amavi has pace to burn so even with a head start I'd back him to get ahead and at least put in a challenge against most players in a foot race. It'd actually be interesting to see him in a race against Gabby...he looks like he could be one of the fastest players in the PL.

Online Pat McMahon

« Reply #518 on: July 31, 2015, 01:48:19 PM »

I am hopeful of Amavi being our first decent left back in a few years, but I would disagree with your first comment re being one of the best defenders in Europe last season. He is athletic and skilful but hasn't been selected for a France squad yet.

My French friends reckon he is solid, good going forward (Nice manager Claude Puel converted him from an attacking midfielder ) and uses his pace to get him out of trouble. The Nice defence was apparently porous last year though.

I am not being funny with you, I think he is the type of player we should be signing - technical and athletic. Villa is a step up for him and he will hopefully do well for us. And dare I say it, he should have a good resale value when he moves on.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #519 on: July 31, 2015, 01:54:14 PM »

I am hopeful of Amavi being our first decent left back in a few years, but I would disagree with your first comment re being one of the best defenders in Europe last season. He is athletic and skilful but hasn't been selected for a France squad yet.

My French friends reckon he is solid, good going forward (Nice manager Claude Puel converted him from an attacking midfielder ) and uses his pace to get him out of trouble. The Nice defence was apparently porous last year though.

I am not being funny with you, I think he is the type of player we should be signing - technical and athletic. Villa is a step up for him and he will hopefully do well for us. And dare I say it, he should have a good resale value when he moves on.

I think he might be talking about his Whoscored.com average match rating, which was very high. Obviously while you can't make a definitive assessment of a player based off that, you have to have done at least fairly well to get a high rating like Amavi did.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #520 on: July 31, 2015, 03:19:34 PM »
According to the OPTA stats he was the best performing left-back in the five major European leagues last season - I guess that's what he was referring to.

Offline ClaretAndBlueBlood

« Reply #521 on: July 31, 2015, 03:31:06 PM »

you leave us Trinity moaners out of it.......most of us take our afternoon nap through the match so not moaning all the time!!!!

Online Pat McMahon

« Reply #522 on: July 31, 2015, 04:00:12 PM »
Dave, passitsideways, cheers for your clarifications.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #523 on: August 02, 2015, 07:18:23 AM »
Excellent going fed yday and good recovery pace. But v weak defending for their second

I think we'll see a bit more of that in the next few weeks

He does look very talented though doesn't he?

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #524 on: August 02, 2015, 05:42:33 PM »
maybe a little early to say it but I can see him going very far, very composed player.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal