collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jordan Amavi - gone again  (Read 208807 times)

Offline BoskoDjembaSalifou

• BoskoDjembaSalifou
Re: Jordan Amavi
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2015, 11:33:19 PM »
When I think of Bennett, the first thing that comes to mind is that game at Bradford. Terrible performance.

Online Pat McMahon

« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2015, 11:40:19 PM »
Paulie
Take on board what your saying but when have we ever put a Few games together to give these players a chance.
It's just the modern game with us all wanting instant success me included. I can remember ken mcnaughts first 4-5 games for us and if that was now he would of got dogs abuse and hounded out

Ken McNaught was poor for a lot longer than his first 4-5 games. It all worked out well in the end, mind.

Offline Karl Bridges

« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2015, 12:53:35 AM »
There are rumours that Atletico are interested and obviously Lyon are his preferred destination. He is being tipped for greatness in France so it's hardly surprising he isn't swimming the channel to come and sign for the team that finished 17th in the Prem last season is it.

It does look like we are prepared to pay the most though so fingers crossed. If this one happens it'll be a cracking signing. 

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2015, 12:57:47 AM »
We will pay him a lot more than either Atletico or Lyon.

Online Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2015, 04:00:58 AM »
We've got to get away from these release clauses. If he still wants to go to Lyon like I was reading earlier, go to the next on the list. Our recruitment process should ensure that we always have a good few quality options in each position.

We could do that and most likely not sign/re-sign very many players.

Release clauses are a (sad) feature of the game but inevitable - though sometimes work for the club.

A few days ago people were incensed about a £8m release clause for Delph, but the probability is that he would not have re-signed without a clause. Plus once a clause was being discussed (triggered by relegation according to some reports) he would not have signed a deal IMO if it had a clause that was close to his true market value.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2015, 09:49:15 AM »
I'm not saying that there won't be circumstances where we need to put a clause into the contract. Delph was one example and presumably the only way of keeping Benteke happy and for him to sign a new contract was his clause. My point was that it should only be used where it's absolutely unavoidable, not to offer them when approaching a new player. If we have to it should be something like £25-30m or more.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2015, 10:04:11 AM »
If we have to have a release clause, I'd like to try to negotiate one that is only valid in July, or from, say, January 1st-15th.

That way we're not at risk of being shafted and left with no replacement at the last second.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2015, 10:16:12 AM »
Not having a go at you per se, but I thought that a player turning down the chance to win trophies just because another team is willing to pay them more money was a sign of all the things that are supposedly wrong in football?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #128 on: July 13, 2015, 10:19:16 AM »
In any case, pretty sure Atletico will pay big wages, they'll just do it via some dodgy third party shenanigans like when Falcao was there.

Not sure about Lyon, they must have a few quid being in Europe every year.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #129 on: July 13, 2015, 11:11:14 AM »
Not having a go at you per se, but I thought that a player turning down the chance to win trophies just because another team is willing to pay them more money was a sign of all the things that are supposedly wrong in football?

Seconded.  I read this and immediately thought the same.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2015, 11:13:53 AM »

He wants to be paid the big money  and win the 2016 FA Cup.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2015, 12:00:34 PM »
Paulie
Take on board what your saying but when have we ever put a Few games together to give these players a chance.
It's just the modern game with us all wanting instant success me included. I can remember ken mcnaughts first 4-5 games for us and if that was now he would of got dogs abuse and hounded out

Petrov was also nowhere near as impressive as his debut for ages following his first few games.

However, it is probably harder for a defender to get away with it than it is for a midfielder - mistakes aren't usually so imminently punishable.

I also think it is natural for players to get less chance to shine when you're a perennial struggler. For example, we can't allow ourselves to do any worse than we did last season in terms of league finishing place, because it'll mean we get relegated. We just don't have any lea way for struggling players.

If people say Gary Gardner is not going to make it, that strikes me as harsh as he's had a handful of games. If people say Bennett isn't going to make it, then that's considerably less harsh, as he has played in far more games. He's also failed to impress many people whilst on loan in the championship (unlike Gardner).

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2015, 12:11:10 PM »
Bennett has had more than enough time to prove himself. He's completely out of his depth in the PL and frankly I'm surprised people still think he maybe an uncut diamond.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #133 on: July 13, 2015, 12:34:08 PM »
Bennett is too slow and immobile to be a full back, but on the other hand you wouldn't want to try him at centre back either as he's to prone to mistakes. He does have more of the physical attributes for that role though.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #134 on: July 13, 2015, 12:40:05 PM »
Bennett is too slow and immobile to be a full back, but on the other hand you wouldn't want to try him at centre back either as he's to prone to mistakes. He does have more of the physical attributes for that role though.

Are we talking about the same player? 5ft 10, ten stone, built-like-he's-made-out-of-wet-tissue-paper Joe Bennett has the physical attributes to be a centre-back?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal