collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 01:47:35 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by SaddVillan
[Today at 01:44:57 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 01:36:50 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 01:31:49 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Diego Carlos by OCD
[Today at 01:21:52 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 01:10:53 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 01:10:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 01:47:35 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:46:51 PM]

Re: Peter McParland 90 today by SaddVillan
[Today at 01:44:57 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 01:42:08 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 01:37:11 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 01:36:50 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:36:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 01:35:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 58 Years of Hurt, in all its awfulness  (Read 10417 times)

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
Re: 58 Years of Hurt, in all its awfulness
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2015, 07:02:11 PM »
Crikey that list is an exercise in masochistic nostalgia.As a kid I was convinced we were going all the way to Wembley in 68/69 having dumped out QPR and Southampton under the doc.And then we got Spurs away and went out narrowly.Bloody Tottenham always ended my dreams in the late sixties early seventies! :)

I remember that Spurs cup match very well. The first attempt to play it at White Hart Lane was called off due to the snowy conditions when we were half way down the motorway!. The second we gave it our all but Greavsie scored twice and that was that for another year.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2015, 07:03:59 PM »
That West Ham defeat in 1980 took some getting over especially the manner of it.

Offline lennythekad

• GM : 25.01.2023
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2015, 07:05:36 PM »
Crikey that list is an exercise in masochistic nostalgia.As a kid I was convinced we were going all the way to Wembley in 68/69 having dumped out QPR and Southampton under the doc.And then we got Spurs away and went out narrowly.Bloody Tottenham always ended my dreams in the late sixties early seventies! :)

I remember that Spurs cup match very well. The first attempt to play it at White Hart Lane was called off due to the snowy conditions when we were half way down the motorway!. The second we gave it our all but Greavsie scored twice and that was that for another year.

That would have been my first ever away game. We were on the Harpers coach outside The Yenton, when the news came through.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2015, 07:14:14 PM »
Man U (various), Liverpool and this years effort were painful but Wimbledon was the one that felt like the hugest kick in the bollocks.

Which one, there are 3 exits to Wimbledon, saw 2 of them first hand, the 0-1 loss at Villa Park when Allan Evans missed a penalty and the Plough Lane replay when Alan Cork popped up deep into extra time to send us home in the rain the bald bastard.

In the whole smörgåsbord of Cup exits that I've had served up to me by the Villa, a last minute extra-time defeat watched from the open terrace at Plough Lane in a January monsoon will always rank up there as one of the most miserable football-related evenings of my life.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2015, 07:15:48 PM »
That West Ham defeat in 1980 took some getting over especially the manner of it.
Considering it was only a QF it was quite a hard one to take.

Offline Broughty-Villian

« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2015, 07:17:48 PM »
was one of those wimbledon exits a replay. I travelled down for a midweek game but it was called off due to fog. then went down for the re-arranged fixture. was that a cup match i recall we lost

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2015, 07:24:06 PM »
We were drawn at home to Wimbledon on all three occasions.  As far as the defeats go:

89 was the first game at Villa Park.

91 was the last minute replay defeat at Plough Lane

93 was in the replay at Selhurst Park when we first got to realise that Kevin Richardson couldn't take penalties.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2015, 07:34:47 PM »
Wasn't the replay played in mad fog as well?

Fucking Wimbledon.  All the hatred for MK Dons made me forget how much I despised those bastards 20-odd years ago.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2015, 07:36:32 PM »

Fucking Wimbledon.  All the hatred for MK Dons made me forget how much I despised those bastards 20-odd years ago.

That 1989 game was the most thuggish performance from an opposition I can remember, worse than any game against Small Heath.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2015, 08:49:03 PM »

That 1989 game was the most thuggish performance from an opposition I can remember, worse than any game against Small Heath.

Summed up by an interview with Vinnie Jones around the time where he said his job was to foul the toughest bloke on the other team as early as possible in the game.  When asked who that was on the Villa team, he said "Gordon Cowans".

Offline Damo70

« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2015, 08:04:48 AM »
My earliest memory is as a nine year old watching the wrestling on World Of Sport when the West Ham score came up and we had conceded the late penalty goal. I was at the Oldham QF game in 1990, which was pretty grim but we still had the league to play for. The one that got to me the most was Liverpool in '92. Phillip Don was ref and gave us nothing. It didn't help that they went on to win the trophy by beating two average second division sides. Looking through all those games from 1980 onwards, strangely the only one I can't recall at all is Everton in 2009.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2015, 11:09:29 AM »
My earliest memory is as a nine year old watching the wrestling on World Of Sport when the West Ham score came up and we had conceded the late penalty goal. I was at the Oldham QF game in 1990, which was pretty grim but we still had the league to play for. The one that got to me the most was Liverpool in '92. Phillip Don was ref and gave us nothing. It didn't help that they went on to win the trophy by beating two average second division sides. Looking through all those games from 1980 onwards, strangely the only one I can't recall at all is Everton in 2009.

To those of us of a certain age 1992 was The One, not helped by Liverpool's ridiculously easy run to the final.

Offline Rioch is King

« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2015, 12:52:40 PM »
Let's hope that the reaction to the Albion and Liverpool wins and the wembley turnout will be remembered when future managers ponder over how important the FA cup is.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2015, 12:54:06 PM »

To those of us of a certain age 1992 was The One, not helped by Liverpool's ridiculously easy run to the final.

I was at that Quarter Final, aged 8.  To me it Was The One.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2015, 06:31:21 PM »
Portsmouth an Sunderland to follow wasn't it, for them ?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal