collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Football Mavericks  (Read 6342 times)

Offline SirSteveUK

Re: Football Mavericks
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2015, 09:19:04 PM »
This was the classic FW goal

Offline peter w

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2015, 09:24:32 PM »
the Leatherhead Lip Chris kelly

Alahn Hudson

Tony Currie

Glen Hoddle

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2015, 09:40:16 PM »
Bowles didn't get much international action simply because he wasn't good enough. I wouldn't say that he could be called a maverick either. He was just a weak willed twat who couldn't stay out of the bookies. I can understand his wife's point of view entirely.

Tony Currie had a lot more about him than dainty feet and was genuinely hard done by in not getting picked more often for what at the time was a very poor England team.

Marsh did ok for ManCity up to a point. Their failure to win the title had more to do with Allison's insistence of shoehorning him into a team that he really didn't fit into.

Frank Worthington was/is a 24 carat maverick but he showed enough application on the pitch to warrant more caps. The dobbins that replaced him - Malcolm MacDonald, Stuart Pearson and the like - hardly set the international scene alight.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2015, 10:01:53 PM »
Bowles didn't get much international action simply because he wasn't good enough. I wouldn't say that he could be called a maverick either. He was just a weak willed twat who couldn't stay out of the bookies. I can understand his wife's point of view entirely.

Tony Currie had a lot more about him than dainty feet and was genuinely hard done by in not getting picked more often for what at the time was a very poor England team.

Marsh did ok for ManCity up to a point. Their failure to win the title had more to do with Allison's insistence of shoehorning him into a team that he really didn't fit into.

Frank Worthington was/is a 24 carat maverick but he showed enough application on the pitch to warrant more caps. The dobbins that replaced him - Malcolm MacDonald, Stuart Pearson and the like - hardly set the international scene alight.

Agreed. Although I think Hudson was better than any of them

Offline Tuco Salamanca

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2015, 10:08:57 PM »
Robin Friday.

A hero to many modern MOTD viewers  ;)

Legend in his own lifetime. Nowhere near as good as bowles and Worthington etc as proven by his career

Wasn't suggesting he was any good!

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2015, 10:11:26 PM »
Robin Friday.

A hero to many modern MOTD viewers  ;)

Legend in his own lifetime. Nowhere near as good as bowles and Worthington etc as proven by his career

Wasn't suggesting he was any good!

His book was a decent read

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2015, 11:14:42 PM »
That Worthington goal is incredible really. Messi or Ronaldo score one like that today and SSN would play it on repeat for 3 years.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2015, 12:36:58 AM »
This was the classic FW goal

Might be hearing it wrong, but I'm sure it says "Allardyce's throw" at the start of that clip as a long throw is launched into the box.  Would explain a lot.

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2015, 05:23:17 AM »
Ladies and Gentlemen, all rise for Chic Charnley. Then run away because it's Chic Charnley. Genius footballer and incredibly dirty player.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2015, 08:18:56 AM »

Agreed. Although I think Hudson was better than any of them

I agree with almost all of that assessment but I liked Stan Bowles the footballer. Alan Hudson was the classical midfield player with a range of silky skills that were a pleasure to watch. He was far more talented than Gasgoigne for instance without getting the same same false adulation.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2015, 08:59:22 AM »
The Stan Bowles and Robin Friday books are two excellent football books. Two of the best I have read.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2015, 11:38:21 AM »
The Stan Bowles and Robin Friday books are two excellent football books. Two of the best I have read.

The Stan Bowles one was particularly good but the best one I have read is the Trevor Ford autobiography 'I Lead the Attack'. Written in the fifties the great Welsh centre forward who played for us post second world war pulls no punches regarding the way football was run in those days.

Offline stuart r

• Location: Highley (Home of the Gerry Hitchens Fitness Suite at the local leisure centre- He started his career with Highley Miners Welfare)
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2015, 04:27:42 PM »
From wikipedia... "Following a number of incidents, on and off the field—including kicking Mark Lawrenson in the face mid-game— Robin Friday retired from football in December 1977, aged 25"

I like the cut of his jib.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2015, 04:51:07 PM »
From wikipedia... "Following a number of incidents, on and off the field—including kicking Mark Lawrenson in the face mid-game— Robin Friday retired from football in December 1977, aged 25"

I like the cut of his jib.

It gets better..

"After receiving a red card, Friday left the ground with the game still going on; according to legend, before leaving he broke into the Brighton dressing room and defecated in Lawrenson's kit bag."

He'll do for me.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2015, 07:40:47 PM »
Those players mentioned were all knobs but, on their day they could be unplayable and it chokes me to say that.

Is 'unplayable' a compliment or a criticism?

People use the word as if a footballers good but i read/hear it as they're shit?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal