collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:25:54 PM]

Re: Joe Gauci - Signed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:25:04 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by paul_e
[Today at 05:24:21 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by chrisw1
[Today at 05:23:50 PM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:22:42 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:22:39 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by AV82EC
[Today at 05:20:30 PM]

Re: FFP by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:18:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Would it be more fun if we went down?  (Read 83156 times)

Offline montague

• GM : 13.12.2015
Re: Would it be more fun if we went down?
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2015, 05:43:24 PM »
It was fun in the 70s and awful in the 80s. Nowadays an absolute financial catastrophe once the Sky Money has gone.

Also not completely beyond the realms of possibilities Blues and Wolves will come up and Albion will stay up.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2015, 05:45:56 PM »
It was fun in the 70s and awful in the 80s. Nowadays an absolute financial catastrophe once the Sky Money has gone.

Also not completely beyond the realms of possibilities Blues and Wolves will come up and Albion will stay up.

Blues and Wolves coming up..... that's in the same realm of possibility as me arriving at the Chelsea game on a Dragon and then watching deadline day signing Lionel Messi run riot for us in a 7-0 rout.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2015, 05:46:22 PM »
I think if you compare the best bits of life outside the top division with the very worst matches we've had in the Premier League we can see, quite conclusively, the proof that relegation would be ace.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2015, 05:55:30 PM »
It would be dire.  Most of the teams in the Championship are recently relegated Premier League teams, so it would be the same trips to the likes of Wigan, Norwich and Blackburn, with the added "bonus" of games against our beloved neighbours again.

Whilst watching teams like Bournemouth or Watford in the Premier League.

Bollocks to it, we'd probably be just as rubbish under Lambert as we are now.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2015, 06:22:57 PM »
There would be a brief novelty factor, and we'd be away from the hype etc of the Premier League. But ultimately, it would be shit at Villa Park. Attendances would be awful, and a half empty ground is pretty dreadful isn't it? Away matches would probably be more fun because it was somewhere new. Still godawful though.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2015, 06:27:33 PM »
We are stagnating in a pile of shit as we speak. My first season was 86/87 and it hurt even then to get relegated. We only came straight back because of Sir Graham's organization and ability to spot a player Mark Lillis and Steve Sims for example.
I have no faith in anyone at the club being able to sort out our problems this season let alone sort out a relegated 'giant'.
The embarrassment of relegation would fade though, if it happens we have to deal with it.
Those pricks at Smethwick and Small Heath are already organizing a relegation party on facebook.
Being the biggest team in The Championship could galvanise though but it needs leadership, something were sadly lacking.

I'm not sure the 'biggest club in the championship' tag means much. Derby, Boro and Ipswich are in the top six right now but how long have they all been out of the PL?  Wolves, Wednesday, Forest and Leeds have all been in League One more recently than the top flight. Norwich have recently dropped that far too. League One Sheffield United and Coventry both looked a good bet to bounce back to the PL after relegation.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2015, 06:27:58 PM »
My overriding thought is: we'd better get used to the idea becuase - unless a miracle happens - I can see it as the most likely reality in May.
And, I'd say I'm not naturally pessimistic. I just don't see a way out of the current dross that Lambert has us playing.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2015, 06:29:42 PM »
It all depends whether this twat is still manager.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2015, 06:33:35 PM »
In response to the initial question, no but ish!

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2015, 06:36:52 PM »
Seeing as the consensus seems to be next season in the championship would be terrible what do we think next season in the premiership would be like?

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2015, 06:39:19 PM »
As others have said, I actually quite enjoyed 87-88. Or at least I enjoyed the away trips, as home form was dire.  However, I remember talking with a Leeds fan when they came to us and him saying that when they first got relegated they thought they'd bounce straight back up and by then it was something like their eighth season out of the top flight.  As it so happens, we did got straight back up by the skin of our teeth, but how much fun would I have been having in the second or third or fourth or fifth season down?  Not much.  And there in lies the rub.  Look at the clubs in the Championship.  There is no guarantee we'd go straight back up. 

Offline Damo70

« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2015, 06:43:33 PM »
As others have said, I actually quite enjoyed 87-88. Or at least I enjoyed the away trips, as home form was dire.  However, I remember talking with a Leeds fan when they came to us and him saying that when they first got relegated they thought they'd bounce straight back up and by then it was something like their eighth season out of the top flight.  As it so happens, we did got straight back up by the skin of our teeth, but how much fun would I have been having in the second or third or fourth or fifth season down?  Not much.  And there in lies the rub.  Look at the clubs in the Championship.  There is no guarantee we'd go straight back up.

Good point. It was fun because it was a novelty and it was ultimately a successful season. Five years down there would not be fun.

Offline Rioch is King

« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2015, 06:44:17 PM »
I live abroad and don't go to games anymore so i don't really count but... on match days for the last few years I have this feeling of dread. It lasts until we just escape relegation, I feel a relief that there will be no match days for a few months, enjoy the transfer dealings and blind renewed hope of the summer - and then we have to play games again. Shit!. How much worse could 'supporting' a team feel?. Sorry to be such a downer but I preferred being in Div 2, standing in the Holte in the rain watching Charlton, playing in Grey, beating us 0 - 1 to this torture.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2015, 06:47:18 PM »

There's no guarantee
But there has never been a club as big as Villa who went down and stayed down in the modern era,
 Leeds had worse problems than ourselves as they were near on bankrupt, you really can't compare there special circumstances to ours

We would come back pretty quickly imo

Offline Damo70

« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2015, 06:49:12 PM »
I live abroad and don't go to games anymore so i don't really count but... on match days for the last few years I have this feeling of dread. It lasts until we just escape relegation, I feel a relief that there will be no match days for a few months, enjoy the transfer dealings and blind renewed hope of the summer - and then we have to play games again. Shit!. How much worse could 'supporting' a team feel?. Sorry to be such a downer but I preferred being in Div 2, standing in the Holte in the rain watching Charlton, playing in Grey, beating us 0 - 1 to this torture.

Every Villa fan counts. Especially those who keep the faith in foreign lands.

Do you live somewhere hot? Do you have a spare room for visitors of a claret and blue persuation?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal