collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Delph signs new deal  (Read 42755 times)

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
Re: Delph signs new deal
« Reply #270 on: March 27, 2015, 09:51:33 PM »
I've been worried about him getting clogged this week. Hopefully he'll get a reduced role against the Italians.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #271 on: March 27, 2015, 09:59:25 PM »
In patches I thought. Gave the ball away quite a bit, especially first half and did his usual iffy challenges.

The one time he gave it away in the first half, it was an ambitious pass where if it had got through we had a player in on goal. There was a quick interchange in the second half too where again, had he got it right it would have been a certain goal-scoring chance. So I think to say he gave the ball away a few times is missing context. In games where teams come to park the bus, those are good risks to take. It will be interesting to see what he's like against Italy.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #272 on: March 27, 2015, 10:01:58 PM »
I agree, but there were times it was just crap passing when he gave it away. Something that could be punished against a better side than Lithuania, who often just gave it straight back any way.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #273 on: March 27, 2015, 10:04:51 PM »
He was great without the ball and poor with it.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #274 on: March 27, 2015, 10:07:02 PM »
At times in the second half he seemed to be like a magnet for the ball which seemed to say a lot for the confidence in him from his teammates.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #275 on: March 27, 2015, 10:13:41 PM »
I read an interview with Woy a long time ago where he was discussing the role of a surging midfield player. He said that he expected to lose the ball at least 1 time in 3, and that the crucial thing was that the player in question should be sure that cover was in place.  He went even further to suggest that the failed attempts would actually make subsequent moves easier and that in any case it was a good way to prepare a counter attack. . The analogy he used was a game of chess.  The main reason I remember the interview is that he said his favourite author of fiction  was J. P. Donleavy, who is now largely forgotten. 

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #276 on: March 28, 2015, 12:14:09 AM »
I read an interview with Woy a long time ago where he was discussing the role of a surging midfield player. He said that he expected to lose the ball at least 1 time in 3, and that the crucial thing was that the player in question should be sure that cover was in place.  He went even further to suggest that the failed attempts would actually make subsequent moves easier and that in any case it was a good way to prepare a counter attack. . The analogy he used was a game of chess.  The main reason I remember the interview is that he said his favourite author of fiction  was J. P. Donleavy, who is now largely forgotten. 

I hadn't forgotten J.P. Donleavy but I was surprised to see he's still alive!

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #277 on: March 28, 2015, 12:20:35 AM »

I hadn't forgotten J.P. Donleavy but I was surprised to see he's still alive!

Me too. He must have the constitution of an ox.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #278 on: March 28, 2015, 05:34:51 PM »
No doubt Delphi will get another full game in Italy leaving him either clogged or knackered for the Yanited game.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #279 on: March 28, 2015, 09:01:16 PM »
No doubt Delphi will get another full game in Italy leaving him either clogged or knackered for the Yanited game.

Predictably the negative outlook. Or another perspective would be he gets another full game, plays well, and comes back to us brimming with confidence and energy that rubs off on his teammates.

I want the future captain of Aston Villa to be playing for his country. In fact I want as many Villa players as possible full internationals and regulars because it likely means the club is doing really well for them to have received their recognition.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #280 on: March 28, 2015, 11:09:33 PM »
Totally agree Toronto Villa, hate the thought of any player picking and choosing when they play for their country and even more so dislike the manager and fans of clubs thinking the same

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #281 on: March 28, 2015, 11:13:10 PM »
In truth, he would have more chance of being injured in the new style training sessions at BH.

« Reply #282 on: March 28, 2015, 11:17:32 PM »
In truth, he would have more chance of being injured in the new style training sessions at BH.

Is that a criticism of the new regime?

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #283 on: March 28, 2015, 11:44:00 PM »
I long stopped wanting Villa players to get picked for England.

It always seems to result in bad things rather than good.

« Reply #284 on: March 28, 2015, 11:47:10 PM »
That's a shame, always thought of it as an honour to the club, even if twats like Hodge get their heads turned.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal