collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:04:11 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by trinityoap
[Today at 07:00:10 PM]

Bristol Villa fans by The Edge
[Today at 06:55:20 PM]

Robin Olsen by olaftab
[Today at 06:53:59 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 06:50:36 PM]

Champions League Contention by olaftab
[Today at 06:36:06 PM]

VAR by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:35:46 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 06:20:06 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our new style of play  (Read 14599 times)

Online Deano's Mullet

Re: Our new style of play
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2015, 10:36:14 AM »
We pass to the left, we pass to the right, that Paul Lambert he only talks shite!

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2015, 10:43:37 AM »
Seems to run throughout the club, the under 21's were beaten again last night 2-0 by the mighty Brighton and are having a poor season,have all the decent coaches left and left us with Lambert and one or two others?

What's Kevin Mac up to these days?
Not a lot I saw him at the docs the other day and in tescos in Hinckley.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2015, 11:00:25 AM »

I think calling it a 'style' is going a bit over the top

Putting on the agony putting on the style. That's what all the young folks are doing all the while. And as I look around me I sometimes have to smile....er...fill in the last line yourselves! I cant think of anything that rhymes!

...'cos the only style at Villa park comes in a steaming pile!

Not my greatest work Ron, but us artists don't get warmed up 'til after midday when the mescaline starts to kick in.

Wonder how many other old gits recognise the words and can sing them to the tune?

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2015, 11:33:27 AM »

Putting on the agony putting on the style. That's what all the young folks are doing all the while. And as I look around me I sometimes have to smile....er...fill in the last line yourselves! I cant think of anything that rhymes!

Not my greatest work Ron, but us artists don't get warmed up 'til after midday when the mescaline starts to kick in.

Wonder how many other old gits recognise the words and can sing them to the tune?

All hail the Skiffle King!

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2015, 12:15:58 PM »
I think I preferred counter attack to this new "style"
At least when it came off it was generally pacey , sharp and incisive.

I do love our new solid defence though . All very George Graham.

« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2015, 01:29:46 PM »

All hail the Skiffle King!
Never failed to get the toes tapping - even at my tender age!

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2015, 01:42:13 PM »
Our defensive frailties were down to 2 common issues:

The opposite fullback being too narrow - because we had a centre back coming out to help his full back everyone shifted across 1 leaving a huge gap at the back post.

The 2nd was a direct result of this because a centre midfielder would try to drift out and we'd end up with gaps on the edge of the box which encouraged runners from deep and left us all over the place.

This season we seem to be trusting the fullbacks more (which makes sense as they're much better defenders) but also a central midfielder drifting over to help is more common than a central defender which means we're not seeing players drifting across anything like as much.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2015, 12:36:31 PM »
Yeah I think the full backs have helped the centre backs massively. They were an absolute liability before and I really like lowton as a player

« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2015, 12:56:38 PM »
But Lowton's hardly played Matt.
And his defending of Young for the Yanited goal was shite.

Hutton has made a big difference on that side of the defence.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2015, 07:46:52 PM »
That's my point. LOWTON is a good footballer but a crap defender. Hutton and cissokho much more solid. Defence now better. Centre backs form much improved

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2015, 08:49:39 AM »
On the style of play:

I do think it's very odd to be changing our style after all this time and that does diminish my confidence in Lambert further

But I don't think it's surprising that we're struggling to create chances as we transition and I can envisage that improving as we adjust. This is what I was expecting when Lambert started but we didn't keep the passing style for too long

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2015, 08:53:44 AM »
On the style of play:

I do think it's very odd to be changing our style after all this time and that does diminish my confidence in Lambert further

But I don't think it's surprising that we're struggling to create chances as we transition and I can envisage that improving as we adjust.

That's kind of my take on it as well and now we've started, we've got to stick with it. I just hope we don't persist with Sanchez, Westwood and Cleverley in the same midfield though. That's not going to get us anywhere.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2015, 10:20:58 AM »
The problem for me is the lack of pace in our game.  It is an improvement that we are now keeping the ball better as our lack of the ball was costing us points before.  But you still have to pass with a purpose, and need to mix it up.  That is what worrys me is that like relaying too much on the counter attacking tactic before than Lambert will now just stick to this passing game and nothing else.   You do wonder also if this change has been more just to get fans on side than because it suits the team.  Then again the likes of Sancenz and Cleverly do fit this sort of tactic so I maybe looking for something which isn't there :-X

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2015, 10:55:17 AM »
I wouldn't mind trying Lowton further forward to whip balls in. But Lambert simply doesn't play that way so I'd rather we sell than play him in defence.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2015, 11:00:14 AM »
I wouldn't mind trying Lowton further forward to whip balls in. But Lambert simply doesn't play that way so I'd rather we sell than play him in defence.

What I don't get is that it is almost like he sees playing that sort of player as leaving ourselves too open, but as long as they track back when we don't have the ball I don't see the issue really.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal