collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Player autographs  (Read 4493 times)

Online Chico Hamilton III

Player autographs
« on: November 25, 2014, 09:20:45 AM »
The Mirror wrote to 60 premier league players:

“I love watching you play and would be really pleased if you could send me your autograph. I have written my address on a stamped addressed envelope so you can send it back to me. Thanks a lot and good luck this season.”

18 replied, including Ron Vlaar.

Benteke and Delph were obviously too busy being injured to find the time to reply. Here's the full list - apologies if it has been posted already

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/premier-league-stars-sent-autograph-4688895

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
Re: Player autographs
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 09:29:42 AM »
Well done to those who replied.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 09:31:12 AM »
Back in the early 80's I'd stand by the gates at the entrance to te Trinity Road and catch them all on their way in, both sets of players.

My brother did the same from the mid 70's. We had quite a collection between us.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 09:48:24 AM »
Guess some are wary stuff goes onto eBay .

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 09:52:34 AM »

How much would a signed photo of Ryan Shawcross go for on eBay? he must be concerned about his image rights

Online Lucky Eddie

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 09:59:12 AM »
When my youngest was born I wrote to several England players to make him a collage of autographed stars from the year of his birth. Gazza and Tony Adams wrote back by return post, interestingly the Arse and Manyoo hounded me for years with their junkmail.

Beckham wrote back with a signed card twelve months later - fair play, so did Shearer.

From memory the only refusal I got was from Liverpool on behalf of Michael Owen.

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 10:06:01 AM »
When my youngest was born I wrote to several England players to make him a collage of autographed stars from the year of his birth. Gazza and Tony Adams wrote back by return post, interestingly the Arse and Manyoo hounded me for years with their junkmail.

Beckham wrote back with a signed card twelve months later - fair play, so did Shearer.

From memory the only refusal I got was from Liverpool on behalf of Michael Owen.

I was watching Drogba on TV after the Shrewsbury v Chelsea game last month and he spent about 45 mins after the match signing autographs. It must be a real pain in the arse at times but it's a small price to pay in return for the money they earn and it makes all the difference to the recipients.

I know the article isn't exactly a peer-reviewed scientific study, but it doesn't show footballers in a good light. They should have sent the same footballers a letter, offering a massive fee for some corporate gig or something, see how they would have reacted

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 10:08:41 AM »

Not wanting to be confrontational but why should the footballer give a shit if the guy sells it on ebay for a couple of quid. Are they really that pathetic and tight that the thought of someone making a bit of cash from their name rankles them? They make enough out of the game and fans that it really shouldn't matter, just sign the autograph.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 10:11:48 AM »
5 years ago I wrote to all the Premiership and West Midlands clubs asking if they would let me have a team photo with a few signatures for a charity auction - only Arsenal  responded and we got £30 for it. I'm usre thye get hyndreds of requests a year so wasn't too bothered by the lack of outcome.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 12:01:43 PM »

How much would a signed photo of Ryan Shawcross go for on eBay? he must be concerned about his image rights

I've just bought the web name www.ryanshawcross.co.uk.

It replaces my www.chedevans.cok site.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 12:04:43 PM »

Be fair, autographs are difficult with crayons

Offline BoskoDjembaSalifou

• BoskoDjembaSalifou
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 12:32:12 PM »
I used to collect autographs a few years ago and got replies from lots of players. Sometimes it takes more than a few months for them to get round to it. A few clubs send out printed (or even occasionally fake) autographs instead of real ones.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 12:49:43 PM »
A lot of clubs are worried about their players autographs ending up on unauthorised items, which as we all know would be a Bad Thing. I've been told that every time Geoff Hurst is asked for one he replies "That'll be £20."

« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 01:38:44 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline mrastonvilla

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 01:00:27 PM »
My Lad collects a few autographs and tried to get Bentekes when he first came to the club by waiting by the players car park before a game. Benteke came over and spent ages signing for a lad next to him who had a folder full of cards with his picture on. After he flipped over the page to reveal more cards for the 3rd or 4th time Benteke gave him a look and wandered off leaving my boy without a signature in his book! He was not happy.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 04:52:35 PM »
A lot of clubs are worried about their players autographs ending up on unauthorised items, which as we all know would be a Bad Thing. I've been told that every time Geoff Hurst is asked for one he replies "That'll be £20."

A few years ago we were playing the 'Ammers away and I was having a look around as it was the first time I had been there.  Was outside the front of the stadium when I realised that a few people were making a bee-line for this chap.  He stood with them for a bit then walked across in my direction and it was Geoff.  Handed him my programme which had a photo of him on I think. He willingly signed it and wished me well.  It's up in the loft nowadays with all the others programmes.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal