collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Goals against  (Read 13565 times)

Offline QBVILLA

Re: Goals against
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2014, 01:27:01 PM »
It's probably paranoia but it seems to happen a lot that when a striker is in a barren spell he breaks it against us. Remember Forlan going something like 28 games without scoring and being a laughing stock, then we went to Old Trafford. Anyway, back to the original question that volley from Scholes at the Witton End was horrendously good strike. The ginger bastard. Also as much as it grates, Long's first last season at the Hawthorns was a great goal. The bastard.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 01:39:35 PM by QBVILLA »

Online Pat McMahon

« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2014, 01:41:13 PM »
Most comical goal I remember was Norwich at home, 1994-95 season. They have a corner, Bosnich comes for it with no chance of winning, misses it, Norwich player hits the post, Kevin Richardson clears it, Norwich player hits the bar, Villa player clears it, tremendous scramble before Norwich player scores finally from header.

Deano, that goal was so comically shite it closed the credits for French TV channel Canal Plus' European football round up that weekend.

Online Pat McMahon

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2014, 01:46:46 PM »
3rd Division.
Villa vs Torquay
My 4th game.

Villa dominate the game for 89 minutes (seemed that way)
Torquay make a break away, and Jimmy Cave sticks it in the back of the net from 25 yards

Was that the one we won 5-1? Brian Little's debut?

No, Mal.
Was our first season in Div 3 and we lost 0-1  :-[

I was at that game and strangely enough I can still recall my dad asking a bloke with a radio on the bus home who had scored for Torquay and the name Mickey Cave stuck in my mind.  John Dunn didn't bother diving as he knew he had no chance. I didn't realise it was 89th minute though.

To this day Mickey Cave is the only Torquay player I could ever name.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2014, 02:26:06 PM »

And he's been dead for 30 years. I went to school with a kid who played for Torquay

None-Villa goals at Villa Park - I went to the FA Cup semi final between Ipswich and Man City in 1981 ( standing in the Man City end with the biggest bunch of racist lunatics I've ever met) and Paul Power scored a blinding 25 yarder in extra time to win the game. Nice goal, nice moustache 

Offline Damo70

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2014, 07:25:13 PM »
Paul Power. A classic 70's/80's one club man. Until he went to Everton obviously.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2014, 08:36:36 PM »
Robbie Fowler got a few crackers against us for Liverpool back in the day.

Offline nigel

« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2014, 08:46:13 PM »
3rd Division.
Villa vs Torquay
My 4th game.

Torquay make a break away, and Jimmy Cave sticks it in the back of the net from 25 yards

No, Mal.

I was at that game and strangely enough I can still recall my dad asking a bloke with a radio on the bus home who had scored for Torquay and the name Mickey Cave stuck in my mind.  John Dunn didn't bother diving as he knew he had no chance. I didn't realise it was 89th minute though.

To be honest, Pat, it may have been Mickey Cave, not Jimmy.
It was late in the game when he scored. It certainly felt like the 89th as the time flew by after.
I might try and find out. Knowing my memory it was probably in the first half  :-[

Offline Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2014, 09:06:48 PM »
3rd Division.
Villa vs Torquay
My 4th game.

No, Mal.

It was late in the game when he scored. It certainly felt like the 89th as the time flew by after.
I might try and find out. Knowing my memory it was probably in the first half  :-[

7th November 1970 .Mickey Cave it was. Definitely second half (must have lost the toss- they scored at The Holte End). Took them to third place and us fourth.

Offline peter w

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2014, 09:15:21 PM »

Not against us, but best goal (by a long way) by a non- villa player I've seen scored at VP was giggs's in the semi-final. Absolutely fantastic

Really? You watch it again. Only one actual challenge and that was when he wa sin the box. He runs about 50 or 60 yards without being challenged. IT WAS A BRILLIANT FINISH BUT NOT A FABULOUS GOAL BY ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION. I'll stop shouting now.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2014, 10:17:38 PM »
Couldn't agree more peter. In fact, it is the most over-hyped goal at VP in my view.

Online Pat McMahon

« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2014, 10:33:55 PM »
3rd Division.
Villa vs Torquay
My 4th game.

No, Mal.

7th November 1970 .Mickey Cave it was. Definitely second half (must have lost the toss- they scored at The Holte End). Took them to third place and us fourth.

Cheers Godfrey. I genuinely had forgotten that Torquay were up there with us at the top of the table.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2014, 08:41:15 AM »
3rd Division.
Villa vs Torquay
My 4th game.

No, Mal.

Cheers Godfrey. I genuinely had forgotten that Torquay were up there with us at the top of the table.

Two days before I was born.

Offline andyaston

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2014, 04:34:34 PM »
Paul Ince for West Ham near the end of the 88/89 season. He ran from half way in his own half took a few players on and then hit a 30 yarder into the top corner. The Holte applauded it probably because it was early in the game, it was to become the only goal though and we felll further towards the relegation zone. Thankfully West Ham went down instead of us.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2014, 05:13:50 PM »
Matt Jansen's goal for Crystal Palace when we beat them 3-1 and the goal was a consolidation. Couldn't find a You Tube video of it though.

1 hr 6

Memories. I think that was when we were going nowhere in the league, Gregory took over and with 11 games to go, won 9 and drew 2 to get us into Europe.

Lost two, both at home to sides that were relegated (Barnsley and Bolton).

I maintain that the football we played during those three months we've never bettered in the fifteen or more years since (also lost and won against Atletico during this time). Yorke, Savo, an emerging Hendrie and even Joachim and Collymore at times, gelled fantastically in many of those games.

Barry looking an absolute star at 17 on his home debut and Yorke dinking a match-winning penalty against Arsenal on the last day seemed to preview an incredibly exciting future in store. Brian Little must have been shaking his head, it was the same rabble that failed to show their potential for the two thirds of the season he had been in charge.

Then the summer came, Savo left and the saga of Dwight's departure rumbled on before ending in acrimony. We continued to boss the league for the rest of the calendar year but something had changed and the effusive, attacking football of Gregory's early games was suddenly giving way to a more pragmatic, fitfully exciting but ultimately functional approach, and spring '99 was as torrid and depressing as the preceding one had been entertaining and satisfying.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2014, 06:08:02 PM »
Matt Jansen's goal for Crystal Palace when we beat them 3-1 and the goal was a consolidation. Couldn't find a You Tube video of it though.

1 hr 6

Memories. I think that was when we were going nowhere in the league, Gregory took over and with 11 games to go, won 9 and drew 2 to get us into Europe.

Lost two, both at home to sides that were relegated (Barnsley and Bolton).

I maintain that the football we played during those three months we've never bettered in the fifteen or more years since (also lost and won against Atletico during this time). Yorke, Savo, an emerging Hendrie and even Joachim and Collymore at times, gelled fantastically in many of those games.

Barry looking an absolute star at 17 on his home debut and Yorke dinking a match-winning penalty against Arsenal on the last day seemed to preview an incredibly exciting future in store. Brian Little must have been shaking his head, it was the same rabble that failed to show their potential for the two thirds of the season he had been in charge.

Then the summer came, Savo left and the saga of Dwight's departure rumbled on before ending in acrimony. We continued to boss the league for the rest of the calendar year but something had changed and the effusive, attacking football of Gregory's early games was suddenly giving way to a more pragmatic, fitfully exciting but ultimately functional approach, and spring '99 was as torrid and depressing as the preceding one had been entertaining and satisfying.

Yes those last 12 or so games of 97-98 were magical. The display at Sheffield Wednesday when we won 3-1 was perhaps the best display, as bad as they were it was a complete Villa performance. I also remember a game vs Coventry, our favourite away ground at that time and their fans thought they would turn us over having already done so in the FA Cup. Nope, overhead genius goal from Yorke and we won 2-1. Also loved a win at Southampton where Yorke scored an amazing finish first time from an Alan Wright cross. To be fair the start of the next season wasn't bad either but as always we failed to build when in a dominant position.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal