collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Rugby Union (was 2014-15, now an ongoing thread)  (Read 81476 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Rugby Union 2014-15
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2014, 11:12:05 AM »
I'm not agianst this but I'm really interested in how he approaches the autumn internationals, he has 2 genuinely massive calls to make:

At 7 his captain has started the season badly and we don't really have any experienced cover for him, now is a perfect time to call in Kvesic and Fraser (I'm not going to suggest Armitage because I think that a 'cut your nose off to spite your face' standoff now he's signed a new deal) and let them have a few games to fight for the squad place.  I don't think he'll do that though, I think we'll see Robshaw play every minute he's available for until the world cup.

At 10 his first choice hasn't played at 10 yet this season and will miss the next few games with an injury so almost certainly won't have played a game in the position this season by the time the internationals start.  Given that Burns, Cipriani, Myler and Ford have all started the season in top form it's pretty difficult to justify Farrell starting any of these games, I really wouldn't want to call this one though, there's 5 players there who all deserve to go to the world cup but only 3 spots for them.

I'm intrigued as to what he plans at 9 and on the wing are as well. As well as care, dickson and youngs who seem pretty well established Simpson has started the season well and Robson has looked dynamite off the bench for Gloucester so there's huge depth there. On the wing it's even worse, Ashton, May, Yarde, Wade, Nowell and Watson look to be the main players for those positions which is already a big selection and there's a lot of others not far behind as well.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2014, 12:50:06 PM »
Not sure Ashton should be anywhere near it, a case of once being on the inside you are more difficult to dislodge.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2014, 12:56:14 PM »
In fairness Ashton's club form really picked up again last year, he certainly deserves to be in the conversation at least. It's exciting really there are so many options available, but we really need to be nailing down our team for the World Cup soon.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2014, 02:53:05 PM »
oh ffs, Corbisiero ruled out until the new year with a shoulder injury.

Ashton - on form he's too good to ignore.  The move to sarries and change in playstyle really screwed him up for a while but he kicked on around Christmas and has looked top quality since.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2014, 03:13:52 PM »
The front row and injuries is becoming a real problem.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2014, 03:46:28 PM »
luckily on Corbs side (Loosehead) we have Marler, Mako and Waller who all look international class. It's the backup for Cole that worries me, Wilson is ok but nothing more and Thomas has potential that he's yet to really fulfil then you're on to peoplewho either aren't good enough, aren't experienced enough or are just unknowns.  Brookes looked like the next big thing but moving to Tigers too early set him back badly (he was 3rd or 4th choice behind cole, castro and mulipola most of the time) if he can get back to his best he should be an option. Collier looks good but has injury problems, Doran-Jones isn't good enough. That leaves a couple of youngsters in Scott Wilson and Balmain who have a lot of potential but it's a big risk to rely on any of them.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2014, 03:14:44 PM »
Gloucester v Leicester tomorrow with the return of Burns to spice things up. Should be an interesting game. Neither side has been at their best so far.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2014, 04:25:53 PM »
"London Wasps of Coventry near Birmingham"

Offline paul_e

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2014, 04:36:45 PM »
Good game coming tonight first, Bath vs Sarries, both have a fair few injuries.

I looking forward to both of them, the good thing about the rugby at the minute is there are 10 sides that can compete (newcastle and welsh are weak), the top 4 will contain sarries and saints and you suspect Irish will be nearer the bottom but the spots in between are too close to call, which makes for a lot of exciting games.  What's surprising is the number of games between teams where you'd expect them to be close and they've turned into hammerings.  It shows that we're learning to punish mistakes as ruthlessly as the all blacks have for the last few years, if we can carry that mentality into the national side and keep developing the world cup will be very interesting.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2014, 08:25:46 PM »
I genuinely believe that the pack will dictate the game without dictating the scoreline tomorrow.

If Gloucester win the set piece they will marmalise Leicester. They get on top up front and we won't get close to winning the game.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2014, 08:44:16 PM »
I genuinely believe that the pack will dictate the game without dictating the scoreline tomorrow.

If Gloucester win the set piece they will marmalise Leicester. They get on top up front and we won't get close to winning the game.

The set-piece and breakdown are the key, same as always, the thing is the packs are all so strong now that it's tough to call between them.  I actually think Kvesic vs Salvi is the key tomorrow.  Salvi has been a bit hit and miss this year and Kvesic obviously didn't start the first few games so neither of them is in top form but if one of them can keep the 9 quiet and boss the breakdown they win. The choice at 9 for glaws will be interesting as well, Laidlaw starting means they're playing for territory and going to try to win with the boot, Robson starting is a signal they want to be a bit more expansive.

Harsh yellow for Ashton in tonights game, done for a deliberate knock-on, and I think making sure the ball didn't get through was his priority, but the ball was there for him to try to intercept and I'm not entirely convinced he didn't drop it because his eyes lit up at the prospect of the breakaway try.  Good game so far though.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2014, 08:52:19 PM »

I looking forward to both of them, the good thing about the rugby at the minute is there are 10 sides that can compete (newcastle and welsh are weak), the top 4 will contain sarries and saints and you suspect Irish will be nearer the bottom but the spots in between are too close to call, which makes for a lot of exciting games.  What's surprising is the number of games between teams where you'd expect them to be close and they've turned into hammerings.  It shows that we're learning to punish mistakes as ruthlessly as the all blacks have for the last few years, if we can carry that mentality into the national side and keep developing the world cup will be very interesting.

Does it also mean that all the players will be fucked by the time that the WC comes round too?

Answering my own question, I'd hope not.  The timing of the world cup might actually help us as we'll have lots of players involved in real matches this season and then a few months getting warmed up next year before the WC starts.  Have I got my calendar right?

Great try by Bath.  18-6 at the moment.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2014, 09:08:43 PM »

Does it also mean that all the players will be fucked by the time that the WC comes round too?

Answering my own question, I'd hope not.  The timing of the world cup might actually help us as we'll have lots of players involved in real matches this season and then a few months getting warmed up next year before the WC starts.  Have I got my calendar right?

Great try by Bath.  18-6 at the moment.

Wonder try, the line Joseph runs is sublime and Eastmond ran the perfect support line as well.

Calendar - yes, the premiership starts after the world cup so they'll finish the season in Late May and then have a summer to build to the world cup.  On top of that most of the sides have such deep squads that not many of the key players for England will have played every game they're available for.

Brilliant strength and awareness from Billy V for the Sarries try.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2014, 01:15:43 PM »
I listened to most of the Glos v Leices game on the drive up yesterday.

Good to see one of the county's lesser teams getting their act together at last this season.

It was also good to hear the commentators saying that May was backing his pace by looking to go outside people rather than keep cutting back inside where his lack of bulk leads to him getting splatted too often.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2014, 01:23:46 PM »
Gloucester were pretty good but the result was largely down mto a dire performance from Leicester, I counted 6 konck-ons in the Gloucester 22, that's truly pathetic.  Add on the fact they looked like a bunch of amateurs at the scrum and glaws got handed a pretty easy 4 points and should actually be a bit upset with themselves for not getting the bonus point.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal