collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: NSWE Investment by Axl Rose
[Today at 04:59:04 AM]

Re: Peter McParland 90 today by ROBBO
[Today at 04:48:05 AM]

Re: Villa songs on Alexa by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 02:17:54 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Rory
[Today at 02:00:53 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:57:49 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:53:04 AM]

[Today at 01:49:02 AM]

[Today at 01:48:10 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 14 years ago today!!  (Read 3833 times)

Offline Chico Hamilton III

14 years ago today!!
« on: May 20, 2014, 04:29:32 PM »
Jesus, time flies when you're shit. Thankfully this is just a dim and distanmt memory of a shit day at wembley

Dreaming of one last white horse final.

By David Lacey.

20 May 2000

The Guardian

GRDN

(c) 2000

FA Cup final

If this really is the last FA Cup final played at Wembley before the old stadium is knocked down then surely it is not asking too much for Chelsea and Aston Villa to provide a match that will be remembered for something more than the result, the fate of so many of its 71 predecessors.

Time and again the Cup final has failed to live up to the grandeur of the occasion. Before substitutes were allowed injuries were the problem, reducing one or other finalist to 10 men and upsetting the balance of the contest. From 1952 to 1960 five out of nine finals were affected in this way.

Then there were Cup final nerves. Frank Buckley's fine young Wolves side, weaned on monkey-gland tablets, were overwhelming favourites in 1939 but when they autographed a ball before kick-off their shaky signatures were barely legible. Portsmouth won 41.

With finals increasingly dominated by big-occasion teams such as Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal, pre-match nerves have become less of a problem. Yet still the Football Association's showpiece has resolutely refused to combine memorable football with a contest of such drama that the crowd has gone home with its heart racing.

Even the most famous Wembley final of all, the game in 1953 when Stan Mortensen and Stanley Matthews, supplied by Ernie Taylor's passes, inspired Blackpool to a 43 victory over Bolton Wanderers after they had been 31 down with 20 minutes to go, was a case of bad football redeemed by outstanding individualism.

Nine years later Tottenham defeated Burnley 31 in the most aesthetically pleasing of the Wembley finals but it was a relatively passionless game for all that. Asked whether he had enjoyed the match, Bill Nicholson, the Spurs manager, replied, `No, it wasn't hard enough,' and you could see what he meant.

The final which more than any has combined conflict and art to best effect remains the 1948 encounter between Manchester United and Blackpool when Matt Busby's first great United side came from behind to win 42.

Those were less cynical times. Both teams were rich in players who just wanted to demonstrate their trade as attractively as possible: Johnny Carey, Johnny Morris, Jimmy Delaney and Charlie Mitten for United, Harry Johnston, Matthews and Mortensen for Blackpool.

This afternoon's final, in prospect at least, has something of those qualities about it. Gianfranco Zola, Gustavo Poyet, Didier Deschamps and, yes, Dennis Wise are each capable of bringing the finest of football's arts to Chelsea's performance, and Paul Merson, Benito Carbone, Dion Dublin and Gareth Southgate can do the same for Aston Villa.

By no means all of the finals of the 90s were bad - although it seemed to take Arsenal and Sheffield Wednesday four years rather than four hours to settle the replayed final of 1993 - but none was outstanding.

The most enduring images of the past decade will be of a tear-stricken Paul Gascoigne being carried off the field in 1991 and, the previous May, Ian Wright leaping off the Crystal Palace bench to score twice and take Manchester United to a second game.

The 80s produced the most recent final that combined a sense of the dramatic with a genuine surprise. Who will forget the diving header by Coventry Keith Houchen to take Tottenham, who had led twice, into extra-time, the Cup eventually going to Highfield Road? Wimbledon's victory over Liverpool the following season may have been the greater shock but it was not the better match.

That decade was a vintage period for Wembley finals. The 1981 replay and Spurs' 32 triumph over Manchester City was an absorbing, fluctuating affair won by Ricky Villa's famous dribble through the City defence, which upstaged one of the best goals scored in a Wembley final, Steve MacKenzie's wonderful volley for City.

Wembley FA Cup finals have never seen more heart-warming scenes than when Sunderland, lying halfway in the old Second Division, beat Don Revie's Leeds United in 1973. Or a less likely hero than Mike Trebilcock, whose two goals turned the 1966final around for Everton against Sheffield Wednesday.

Yet the most tumultuous final at Wembley remains the first, in 1923, when the new stadium was engulfed by a tide of humanity that saw the game between Bolton and West Ham witnessed, unofficially, by a crowd of more than 200,000. PC George Scorey and his white horse Billy became lasting symbols of English football's sense of order and discipline even amid scenes of the utmost chaos. What a long-lost world that seems now. David Lacey.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: 14 years ago today!!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 04:45:44 PM »
So drunk I thought we'd played well.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 05:17:30 PM »
I had managed to erase that day from my memory bank. Now you've reminded me of it and it's all coming back to me.

I still loathe Dennis Wise.

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 05:51:14 PM »
I broke my toe kicking the stadium when i left i was that pissed off by the result and the way we played

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 05:54:16 PM »
Great day until kick off. A bunch of us hired a limo to take us there and back. The game itself means it is the worst day of my Villa life. When the final whistle went I just turned my back to the pitch, sat on the back of a seat and slumped forward with my head in my hands for a while. I still fucking hate that Madness song, as I always associate with that day.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 08:28:23 PM »
Terrible day, terrible view, terrible stadium.

As soon as the whistle went I ran back to the car and hightailed it out of there as fast as I could.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 08:52:38 PM »
We were atrocious.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 08:53:10 PM »
So drunk I thought we'd played well.

First half we didn't play too badly as I remember

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 08:54:35 PM »
Shudder. Still not ready to talk about this one yet.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 09:01:41 PM »
Villa fans fighting with each other in the Villa end after the game kind of summed up a shit day, add to that mouthy cockney fuckwits outside the ground and you have a recipe for a wanky day out.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 04:10:53 AM »
Biggest anti climax of my entire life.  Never been so excited about any match and so utterly deflated afterwards.  Dennis Wise and his fucking baby - fuck off!!

To add insult to injury, the outlaws at the time where Chelsea fans and we had to meet them afterwards in London - we ended up in a pub in Chelsea FFS! 

Wiped from my memory to such a degree i'm not even sure if we lost 1-0 or 2-0.  WANKERS.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 11:58:39 PM by OzVilla »

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 04:30:31 PM »
What final was this? I can't recall.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 09:35:27 PM »
Can't remember anything about the game and never watched any footage since. I remember getting shit faced in a pub in Paddington afterwards, but not in a good way. The train journey back on the Sunday was a miserable, alcohol sodden nightmare.

I have detested Chelsea fans and their fucking celery ever since.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »
Yep, it was meant to be our year, I could just sense it :'(

Since that day I have believed that like England with the WC I would never see Villa win the FA Cup during my life time, that is of course until we get a new richer backer, another decent/good manager, and start to look like contenders again of course :-X

Maybe we should just stick to dreams of winning back the league cup..

Offline Dlp

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 10:57:25 PM »
Went to this game with the missus. The only good part of the day for me was meeting a Villa legend (Dennis Mortimer) on the wembley car park and having picture taken with him. Had a shit view in the ground, thank god they demolished it and built the new stadium.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal