collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tube Tickets  (Read 3514 times)

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
Tube Tickets
« on: May 12, 2014, 11:47:30 PM »
So Monday 19th I've got to get the tube from Stanmore station to North Greenwich. Seems pretty simple, all on the jubilee line so as far as I know I don't need to change, just chill on the train until it's my stop.

Pardon my ignorance, but I have literally no idea how tickets work with the tube. Can I book them advance like you do with regular trains? I keep hearing about zones, do I need to buy a ticket for a specific zone? How much should I expect to pay? etc etc if someone just tell me what I need to do I would be very thankful.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Tube Tickets
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 11:48:13 PM »
So Monday 19th I've got to get the tube from Stanmore station to North Greenwich. Seems pretty simple, all on the jubilee line so as far as I know I don't need to change, just chill on the train until it's my stop.

Pardon my ignorance, but I have literally no idea how tickets work with the tube. Can I book them advance like you do with regular trains? I keep hearing about zones, do I need to buy a ticket for a specific zone? How much should I expect to pay? etc etc if someone just tell me what I need to do I would be very thankful.

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/

Offline Chipsticks

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 11:51:33 PM »

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/

That tells me the journey but as far as I can see I can't buy the tickets on there, which is my query. Or am I being a knob?

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 02:55:50 AM »
Buy it at Stanmore, probably cheapest way is an all zone Travelcard that way you can break the journey rather than stay on all the way there and back, if you're certain of not wanting to get off and on then a return will be fine.  Cheaper still is an Oyster card, again buy it at Stanmore, load it up and ride away, probably not worth getting unless you plan on coming back to London again and using the tube.

Top tips for riding the tube are don't look anyone in the eye, never speak to anyone and never give up your seat.

Offline peter w

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 07:32:07 AM »
Buy an Oyster card if you visit London regulalry enough. It'll be cheaper - other than the initial outlay for the pyster card - and means you can use all public transport in Greater London.

Other than that the all zones travelcard is the best option. How are you travelling down to London? Because you can buy tickets from outside fo London that cover your tube journey's, or alternatively, you used to be able to buy tube tickets outside of London also.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 10:46:37 AM »
Oyster cards are a fiver by the way (you then load them with as much credit as you want. A tube journey from Stanmore to Greenwich will cost about three quid. Oyster can also be used for bus journeys which are capped at £1.45 regardless of zone). If you're certain you never want to come back again, like Geoff Tippes, you can return the Oyster and get your fiver back.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 02:10:07 PM »

Top tips for riding the tube are don't look anyone in the eye, never speak to anyone and never give up your seat.

After the Spurs game, I did my normal trick of getting back on the Tube at Tottenham Hale rather than Seven Sisters. Therefore, while everyone else was trying to jam onto the train and grab a seat I was already in mine.

A middle aged lady tried to offer her seat to an older bloke (not that much older, maybe in his sixties). The whole carriage, including the bloke in question, gave her a look of "WTF are you doing ?"

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 02:57:14 PM »
Bloke I work with was sitting next to Boris Johnson on the Jubilee line last week. The train was packed, everyone recognised him but not a word was exchanged.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 03:34:41 PM »
Try this on a tube.
Sit yourself down, pull out a banana and as you eat it look into the eyes of the person opposite, I double dare ya!

Offline Chipsticks

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 04:08:39 PM »
Buy an Oyster card if you visit London regulalry enough. It'll be cheaper - other than the initial outlay for the pyster card - and means you can use all public transport in Greater London.

Other than that the all zones travelcard is the best option. How are you travelling down to London? Because you can buy tickets from outside fo London that cover your tube journey's, or alternatively, you used to be able to buy tube tickets outside of London also.

Cheers, what I was after.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 04:35:08 PM »
You can buy tickets at the machines in the stations, I think they're red (from memory). I believe that you have to buy for all zones now and you can't just select from say zones 1-2, or 1-4.

Oyster Card is probably a cheaper option.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 04:40:40 PM »
When I go to London I just buy my mainline ticket with tube included for the relevant Zone.

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 04:53:42 PM »
Bloke I work with was sitting next to Boris Johnson on the Jubilee line last week. The train was packed, everyone recognised him but not a word was exchanged.

Did they recognise Boris as well?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 05:56:57 PM »
Tube ticket on it's own which covers all 6 zones (so all of London plus parts of Surrey, Kent etc) is £8.30. Can use that on tube, the underrated overground network and buses. And maybe a Boris Bike aswell!

Offline BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 07:26:45 PM »
Try this on a tube.
Sit yourself down, pull out a banana and as you eat it look into the eyes of the person opposite, I double dare ya!

Does that not contradict the first 'top tip' of your earlier post?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal