collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa Sack Manager Ads  (Read 74332 times)

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Moyes sacked? Let's get him in...
« Reply #435 on: April 25, 2014, 12:35:55 PM »
Disagree Hoyle87. It's not just that his style has that glass ceiling, it's that we've had enough of this particular limited footballing style. Swansea and Southampton have managed to combine progress with a footballing identity - some would say because of it - through many divisions. Moyes' record looks good over 11 years, but how many of the last few years could actually have been better for Everton if someone more like Martinez had been in charge? It could be that Moyes actually limited them for the last few years, and who's to say in the next few years that this limiting will trickle down the league from the top six to the whole division?

It's all well and good to build foundations, but if you're building them out of mud and everyone around you is building on concrete then the foundations are themselves inadequate and restricting - look at Newcastle, who have lots of players capable of playing good stuff, especially when Cabaye was there, but are clearly constrained by Pardew's near-moronic football thinking.

I'm fed up of managers content to make us 'hard to beat' (and harder to watch), to make us 'compact' and 'well-organised', where 'all the players know their jobs' and all of those other patronising euphemisms. I'm fed up with the long ball being considered a legitimate attacking tactic, with all our attacking coming from 'pace on the wings' rather than quality through the middle. I'm fed up with players moving about as freely as if their boots were stitched into the turf, of last-minute goals conceded after 89 minutes of unsuccessful bludgeoning against a simple defensive opposition, of losing the ball from throw-ins, of dreading the weekend arriving for fear of what garbage might be hurled our way this time. If sodding Southampton can do it, then so too can we.

Amen to that, Monty.

This is one of the best posts I've seen on here in a while. Absolutely bang on.

Yes, although i do like to see a winger bombing forward and crossing balls into the box too

Me too, but it only tends to work if you've made space on the overlap and can actually get to the byline to put a ball between keeper and defenders (who are hopefully running towards their own goal by this stage). If all you do is bunt it around and then cross it from the angle then the opposition can just set up to head it away, like that Fulham amateur earlier this season said.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #436 on: April 25, 2014, 12:41:17 PM »

Am i the only one that thinks Bertrand has been bang average ?

I wouldn't be offering more than 3/4m tops for him thats for sure

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #437 on: April 25, 2014, 12:59:51 PM »

I quite agree with this. When I first saw him I thought he was vastly superior to Bennett, but as time's passed he's not been nearly as impressive. I partly put that down to joining a failing side though. I'd be disappointed if we paid over the odds for him.

Offline glasses

« Reply #438 on: April 25, 2014, 01:00:27 PM »

Not at all on your own in that regard.

He's not a 7m left back that's for sure, although he possibly isn't helped out by the others around him

Offline glasses

« Reply #439 on: April 25, 2014, 01:01:13 PM »
Suspicious Satsuma beat me to it

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #440 on: April 25, 2014, 01:09:52 PM »
Is there another satsuma about? We must duel!

Offline citizenDJ

• GM : 28.05.2020
« Reply #441 on: April 25, 2014, 01:19:16 PM »
I'd say £5 or 6 million for Bertrand would be a decent enough deal. He's a good player, with good experience for his age and is easily good enough for a team such as ours at the moment, and I suspect he'd do a good job at better teams, too - after all, he performed well enough for Chelsea!

Offline glasses

« Reply #442 on: April 25, 2014, 01:22:16 PM »
Don't be a confrontational citrus, now

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #443 on: April 25, 2014, 01:25:24 PM »
We haven't looked so weak down the left hand side since Bertrand has come in but I do think there's a lot more to come. He does tend to make decent runs down the left as well.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #444 on: April 25, 2014, 01:27:08 PM »

Agreed. He started off pretty well bit since the first 2 or 3 games he's looked decidedly average. I certainly don't want to make his move permanent. 

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #445 on: April 25, 2014, 01:41:42 PM »
If Lerner is still there Bertrand won't be, he is paid far more by Chelsea than what we pay these days.
Lambert has said he wasn't able to get experienced players in because of the wages they wanted and thats the problem, Lerner has gone from paying wages way over the odds to paying in premiership terms peanuts. Thats why the suggestion that Moyes could come in had me laughing why would he come here when the structure is so restrictive?

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #446 on: April 25, 2014, 01:48:21 PM »
I don't think anyone was/is seriously suggesting he would come now, but certainly in 2011 or 2012 I'd have welcomed him with open arms. Not that I think he'd have come even then.

Offline bobdylan

« Reply #447 on: April 25, 2014, 01:54:35 PM »
Currently I'd have more confidence in Bennett at left back than i do in Bacuna or Lowton at right back, so I'd prioritise a new right back over a new left back.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #448 on: April 25, 2014, 02:26:42 PM »

I say we let bygones be bygones and both retire on deuce.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #449 on: April 25, 2014, 02:31:14 PM »
after all, he performed well enough for Chelsea!

How often ? He barely started games for them from memory

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal