collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa Sack Manager Ads  (Read 74308 times)

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
Re: Moyes sacked? Let's get him in...
« Reply #270 on: April 22, 2014, 10:02:15 PM »
Have you decided to look at all of Moyes transfers, or just the "good" ones.

Rodwell came through the youth team and Stone never played under Moyes either. But all lower league buys are gambles. Moyes have come off more then most but also they would have come into the team with experience around them. Most of ours were all bought and played at the same time.

Doesn't matter if Stones played under him, he may not have been ready, he bought him that was the point.

I thought they signed Rodwell from Plymouth? Maybe I'm confusing him with another of Moyes' purchases.

I haven't looked anything up as my partner is an Everton fan so I see a fair bit of them. The fact is he spent an average of around 10 mill a season for 10 years and spent almost every season in the top 8, often higher.

Rodwell joined Everton when he was 7.

Apologies, I'm confusing him with the other midfielder they signed from the lower leagues (Gosling from Plymouth), who didn't turn out to be anything like as good.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #271 on: April 22, 2014, 10:03:19 PM »
Biliyetdinov, Johnson, Beattie and that one from Leeds that someone on here loved are others that people ignore.

As for Stone, my point being that he spent £3mil on him and didn't need to play him as he had experience in those areas so could afford to leave him out until decided he was ready. If Lambert had brought him we would have had to play him straight away dropping him straight into a team made up of other kids and then had people on here rubbishing a player as soon as he played and saying why didn't we buy experience. Not many of Lamberts signings have been afforded that time, yes partly through him but mainly due to the paucity of the squad and injuries to key players.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #272 on: April 22, 2014, 10:06:10 PM »
Biliyetdinov, Johnson, Beattie and that one from Leeds that someone on here loved are others that people ignore.

Jermaine Beckford. Coopers Injury loved him iirc.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #273 on: April 22, 2014, 10:09:09 PM »
If Lerner and Faulkner think he would be a good fit then no way should we hire him. Worryingly he may be hired. If however they think he would not be a good fit then he would probably be a great choice. Worryingly we'd miss out on him.

There is only one catch and that is Catch 22.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #274 on: April 22, 2014, 10:11:06 PM »
Biliyetdinov, Johnson, Beattie and that one from Leeds that someone on here loved are others that people ignore.j

Jermaine Beckford. Coopers Injury loved him iirc.

And Villa Kicks

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #275 on: April 22, 2014, 10:11:48 PM »

As for Stone, my point being that he spent £3mil on him and didn't need to play him as he had experience in those areas so could afford to leave him out until decided he was ready. If Lambert had brought him we would have had to play him straight away dropping him straight into a team made up of other kids and then had people on here rubbishing a player as soon as he played and saying why didn't we buy experience. Not many of Lamberts signings have been afforded that time, yes partly through him but mainly due to the paucity of the squad and injuries to key players.

They made a profit on Johnson and got their money back on Bily so although the signings may not have worked out in the long term, nothing was lost on those two.

It's more about what Moyes could do for Villa now than comparing him to Lambert, who has quite clearly failed.

This is a manager that I feel could get us in the top 8 within 2 seasons for starters.

Online Somniloquism

« Reply #276 on: April 22, 2014, 10:16:37 PM »
As a young hungry manager just brought up from Preston maybe, as someone who spent 11 years at one club and then under the pressure he has been under for the last 12 months, I think it will turn out he is burnt out and the hunger will not be there.

And the reason I was comparing him to Lambert now is because you were using previous signings to show Moyes could do it for us, some of those from the start of his career.

Offline LTA

« Reply #277 on: April 22, 2014, 10:39:44 PM »
The first mistake United made was allowing Ferguson to pick his successor.  He might have been a great judge of players, but - as we know - his judgement on managers is rubbish (almost "jobs for the boys" like).

The second mistake was letting Ferguson stay at the club.  It was bordering on impossible for Moyes to do the job while he was peering over his shoulder.  However, that was what Ferguson wanted.  Whatever anyone at United tells you, Ferguson still pulls the strings there, and Moyes was easy to control.  A Van Gaal or a Mourinho would have gone in and said, "no disrespect Alex, but you times gone, clear off".

Its like Sir Matt Busby all over again.

As for us, I wouldn't even entertain going for Moyes.  We need someone who can get the juices going, not another "grafter over quality" appointment.

Online Somniloquism

« Reply #278 on: April 22, 2014, 10:44:26 PM »
If we are in the same situation next season in terms of Senior mamangements approach to buying and spending, then Moyes would probably be a better bet then Lambert. However if the rumours of a takeover is true, I hope we are looking elsewhere for managers as I can see Moyes doing the equivalent of MON when Lerner first took over.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #279 on: April 22, 2014, 10:45:17 PM »
Moyes v Lambert. Anyone not wanting the former at Villa right now needs their bumps feeling

Online Somniloquism

« Reply #280 on: April 22, 2014, 10:45:35 PM »
I mentioned elsewhere, but I wonder if the sacking is the first signs of the Glazers wrestling control away from Fergie.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #281 on: April 22, 2014, 10:49:32 PM »
I mentioned elsewhere, but I wonder if the sacking is the first signs of the Glazers wrestling control away from Fergie.

The Glazers always were in control. As Brian Green pointed out years ago, Ferguson has always backed down from confrontation with the board.

Offline dl9

• It all began vs Eintracht Frankfurt......
« Reply #282 on: April 22, 2014, 10:56:05 PM »
Billy McNeill, McLeish, Lambert, Moyes, Krankee, Michelle McManus from X factor 'fame', that hotel owner that David Walliams plays in Little Britain.

Aside from Walliams' character, they are all shite

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #283 on: April 22, 2014, 11:13:25 PM »
Moyes v Lambert. Anyone not wanting the former at Villa right now needs their bumps feeling

That's not the choice though as far as I can see.  Isn't it Lambert v "Another manager".  It doesn't have to be Moyes and clearly a fair few people, myself included would prefer to gamble on someone more dynamic than Moyes.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #284 on: April 22, 2014, 11:18:18 PM »
it wasn't meant to be. moyes wouldn't come to villa but I know who I'd rather have had, had we ever enticed him here a couple of years ago

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal