collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Takeover Thread - Recon Group - NOW WITH NEW POLL  (Read 2655056 times)

Offline exiled on the wirral!

Re: The Takeover Thread - Recon Group - NOW WITH NEW POLL
« Reply #15105 on: May 25, 2016, 08:31:38 PM »
Whilst I applaud the fact that Dr X has been refreshingly candid, it does bother me that he seems to be the sole face/voice of Recon, and there's no press liaison or translater to assist with the trickier questions.  It may simply be that Chinese corporate culture is so different to that of the west, but it does give a somewhat tinpot setup feel.
He is probably surprised like the rest of us the attention is getting from the likes of CNN and the FT ..he probably didn't think he would need one.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #15106 on: May 25, 2016, 08:36:30 PM »
Wow. A Brummie clubs fans criticising the way someone speaks English. You'd think that we'd have sympathy with that.

Anyone remember the first time Randy was heard speaking? One of the local TV stations snuck upto him at an American Footy game I think it was and he mumbled something equally in incoherent about MON being 'the man' if I recall.

Give him a chance.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #15107 on: May 25, 2016, 08:37:30 PM »
Can you imagine the "he won't even speak to us" comments if he'd got a rep to field the questions for him?

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #15108 on: May 25, 2016, 08:40:55 PM »
I think the biggest concern with him speaking as much as he has is that he isn't officially the owner yet.

Offline curlytailavfc

• www.friendsofakitas.co.uk
  • GM : 26.02.2019
« Reply #15109 on: May 25, 2016, 09:00:39 PM »
Im bored with all this crap already any one else thinking the end is Nigh

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #15110 on: May 25, 2016, 09:17:08 PM »
He's in The Times now. Behind a paywall though.

Offline avfcpg

• http://www.flashfitness.me
« Reply #15111 on: May 25, 2016, 09:19:18 PM »
Can you imagine the "he won't even speak to us" comments if he'd got a rep to field the questions for him?
Thought had crossed my mind several times....damned if he does and all that.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #15112 on: May 25, 2016, 09:19:23 PM »
there's going to be a run on bedsheets/'shrouds very soon - I can feel it!

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #15113 on: May 25, 2016, 09:37:22 PM »
I've only just watched the CNN interview.

When I watch this, as with Tony's other interviews, I can't help admiring him for doing these interviews in English (in which he is more intelligible than Paul Lambert) and allowing himself to be asked questions which Randy Lerner would never have permitted to be asked of him in public.

Not that this is a reason to be suspicious of him (there are enough of those as it is without fishing around for more), but for someone who has a degree from Harvard, I'd have thought his English would have been better.

Just saying, like.

There's at least a 5-6 posts about that already, the conclusion was that his English is about the same as most Chinese exchange students.  I worked, for about a month as a temp, in the library at Birmingham Uni and I can back up all the comments about poor spoken English being common.

But he wasn't an exchange student there for a few months, surely he was a student at Harvard doing his degree?

It's no big deal, I was quite surprised, that's all.

It's a side note but pertinent point. I guess his major ,or actually we know his major, isn't languages. I can certainly say English isn't the easiest language. It's like English people learning to speak not only Cantonese or Mandarin but with the required accent and inflections.  It's a different part of world. And mit required skills set would be very good . There was the intrigue for me what our new leader sounds like . I was there in expectation to hear like a south korean American style accent having some his American work however he was in departments that perhaps focsuces on medical sciences and engineering. Essentially Dr Tony is a man with a comprehensible use of English languages understood and I think the difference is the cultural way of working.  Again i reiiterste I get the point regards opinion to his use of English but i think the interviewer reading situation and not saying accumen and credentials as there aren't exact translations in such words

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #15114 on: May 25, 2016, 10:42:28 PM »
*RUI KANG PHARM <8037>  JOINT ANNOUNCEMENT (1) CLOSE AND RESULTS OF THE VOLUNTARY CONDITIONAL SECURITIES EXCHANGE OFFERS BY C
*RUI KANG PHARM <8037>  JOINT ANNOUNCEMENT
(1) CLOSE AND RESULTS OF THE VOLUNTARY CONDITIONAL SECURITIES EXCHANGE OFFERS BY CHINA WAH YAN
TO ACQUIRE ALL THE ISSUED SHARES IN THE CAPITAL OF RUI KANG (OTHER THAN THOSE ALREADY OWNED BY CHINA WAH YAN AND PARTIES ACTING IN CONCERT WITH IT) AND
TO CANCEL ALL OUTSTANDING SHARE OPTIONS OF RUI KANG; AND
(2) PUBLIC FLOAT OF RUI KANG

FULL STORY TO FOLLOW

Just flashed up on Bloomberg - no idea what it means though.

edit - China Wah buying the outstanding shares of Rui Kang for just under £10m (I think).

http://iis.aastocks.com/20160525/002522516-0.PDF

Rui Kang and Recon are different companies.
The confusion seems to come through translation. Reading through the Recon websites news/media sections and using Google translate, the Chinese name for Recon gets translated to United Rui Kang, and sometimes Joint Rui Kang.

They are similar, they are not the same.

They're equal, but different. It's obvious.

The Au Pairs!

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #15115 on: May 25, 2016, 10:44:22 PM »
The above comments by Monty are accurate. Having worked in China and studied with Chinese colleagues in the UK I have been amazed at how people whose spoken English was very average could study complicated textbooks on business, strategy, economics etc. The answer was basically getting to competent conversational level in English and sheer hard work.

They were also less distracted by the opposite sex and partying and had a capacity for studying that put us westerners to shame.

Not sure about the 'they' and 'us' on the study front (nor on its benefits - I can assure you from my experiences in music that the emphasis on joyless graft is, in the long-term, something of a guarantee of mediocrity), but it sounds like your experiences on the language front mirror my own on this side of the Eurasian landmass!

Ha! Which language is torturing you then?

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #15116 on: May 25, 2016, 10:46:51 PM »
Has anyone else actually looked at all this scrutiny from the other way around? I mean it's not everyone who can end up with giving interviews to television stations left right and centre. The guy surely must have some influence to end up on CNN and other networks.

Whether it's all a massive scam or completely legit, Tony seems to be big news.

Must admit I also find the interview answers slightly hard to understand, if he's a wealthy, savvy, private businessman, I wonder why he's putting himself out there so much without any media help. Maybe he's trying to front up and put pay to some of the "allegations". There is a whiff of the unorthodox about the whole affair - not completely dissimilar to the early days of Lerner. I'm still hopeful it's the good type of orthodox though and he has the will and the means to make us a serious player again.

Time will tell I suppose.

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #15117 on: May 25, 2016, 10:49:05 PM »
I think the biggest concern with him speaking as much as he has is that he isn't officially the owner yet.
I keep wondering about this too, we must be awfully confident the deal is going to go through, I mean he's on the OS, interviews everywhere. Is this because we're extremely sure of the result of the fit and proper test or is this some way of trying to influence said test?

Offline joecrow

« Reply #15118 on: May 25, 2016, 10:57:33 PM »
Damon v Dr Xia > Al Swearengen v Mr Woo
Applause.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #15119 on: May 25, 2016, 11:02:46 PM »
Wow. A Brummie clubs fans criticising the way someone speaks English. You'd think that we'd have sympathy with that.

Anyone remember the first time Randy was heard speaking? One of the local TV stations snuck upto him at an American Footy game I think it was and he mumbled something equally in incoherent about MON being 'the man' if I recall.

Give him a chance.

Well if he turns out to be anything like as good as Randy I'm sure we've got nothing to worry about ;-)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal