collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Indefensible home form.  (Read 19364 times)

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: Indefensible home form.
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2014, 10:27:26 AM »
We've had 4 years of asset stripping where we've sold our best players and replaced them with substandard lower league players, that's why we're so shit at home. It's not rocket science. We've been run on a (relative) shoe string over the last 4 years. You can't run a Premier League club on Championship wages, and that's the main problem at Villa.

We've generally been better away from home for the last few years though, and worse teams than us have better home records than us. I know Villa are going downhill at the moment, but not winning at home isn't a new thing for us. This isn't an argument for this thread and to be honest I'm boring myself with it, but I don't want Lambert sacked. One thing that really, really frustrates me about him though is his stubbornness with the home tactics when it clearly isn't working.

Sorry but you can't just dismiss 19 home defeats in less than 2 seasons like that. It's a diabolical stat. We've never ever been this bad at home before no matter how some may try to dress it up otherwise. Lambert has to go before he inflicts more damage onto the club.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2014, 10:28:09 AM »
Going to home games expecting a defeat - regardless of the opposition - is just not on. I'm as optimistic as the next man but over time I simply expect less and less. I will renew though, I always will.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2014, 10:30:15 AM »
We've still only won two less than we did in Mon's final season when we finished 6th. It's very unlikely but theoretically we could still equal that by winning the last two home games this season.

The difference nowadays we just lose games at home instead of the endless draws we used to have under MON in the crucial run in.

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2014, 10:35:02 AM »
Anybody remember that Celeveland Browns fan who said that Lerner had turned their stadium into "a factory of sadness"? I found it funny then, but find myself empathising with him nowadays.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2014, 10:38:49 AM »
We'll rebrand it to that next season. Or the house if horrors.

Offline caster troy

« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2014, 10:50:52 AM »
I didn't use my season ticket yesterday, the whole thing was so predictable. It's like watching a shit film over and over hoping the ending will change.

I'm not going again until Lambert is gone.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2014, 11:05:58 AM »
I was amazed at the crowd yesterday. There were jeers and boos of course, but on the whole they seemed pretty inured to it all. What Villa fans have gone through for the past four seasons has browbeaten them, yet they still turn up in reasonably good numbers. So much for a fickle fan base.

What I also noticed was the lack of hope and resignation to a bleak future. It reminded me of the scene in Orwell's 1984, when Winston is told that, to get a picture of the future, he should imagine a boot stamping on a human face, forever. It's not the first time that image has occurred to me when following the Villa.

To use another literary reference, we're in a footballing catch 22 situation. We need to sack Lambert, but we can't trust our board to replace him adequately. Our manager is incompetent, often incoherent, and his record is - as the thread title states - indefensible. In any other Villa era, he'd have been sacked twice by now. But our disinterested, passive, absentee owner and his clean cut yes man have made three shockingly dreadful appointments already (each time the process was farcical) and we're now perennial relegation strugglers as a direct result of their mismanagement of the club.

The owner and CEO don't know what they're doing, the manager is winging it, and the players are coasting comfortably in a club culture where failure is the norm and there is no expectation to excel. It's a certain recipe for disaster, and that's what we'll all be facing unless this chain of incompetence and failure is broken. Randy Lerner, it's over to you.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2014, 11:07:14 AM »
We've still only won two less than we did in Mon's final season when we finished 6th. It's very unlikely but theoretically we could still equal that by winning the last two home games this season.

The difference nowadays we just lose games at home instead of the endless draws we used to have under MON in the crucial run in.

But more importantly we've lost 10 home games. That's why we're struggling at the wrong end of the table and not competing for a top 6 place like we were under O'Neill.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2014, 11:20:50 AM »
Is the problem then that we've always been a bit crap? Eureka!
No that's not the case. Whilst fortress Villa Park has never been there not even in the season we won the Championship I can not remember anything as bad as this season. I expect a club the size of ours to win at least 60% of the home games with a few draws and the odd defeat now and then but maximum 3. This season losing games particularly to the likes of Crystal Palace, West Ham, Stoke and now Fulham is NOT acceptable.

Offline achilles

« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2014, 11:39:18 AM »
I was amazed at the crowd yesterday. There were jeers and boos of course, but on the whole they seemed pretty inured to it all. What Villa fans have gone through for the past four seasons has browbeaten them, yet they still turn up in reasonably good numbers. So much for a fickle fan base.

What I also noticed was the lack of hope and resignation to a bleak future. It reminded me of the scene in Orwell's 1984, when Winston is told that, to get a picture of the future, he should imagine a boot stamping on a human face, forever. It's not the first time that image has occurred to me when following the Villa.

To use another literary reference, we're in a footballing catch 22 situation. We need to sack Lambert, but we can't trust our board to replace him adequately. Our manager is incompetent, often incoherent, and his record is - as the thread title states - indefensible. In any other Villa era, he'd have been sacked twice by now. But our disinterested, passive, absentee owner and his clean cut yes man have made three shockingly dreadful appointments already (each time the process was farcical) and we're now perennial relegation strugglers as a direct result of their mismanagement of the club.

The owner and CEO don't know what they're doing, the manager is winging it, and the players are coasting comfortably in a club culture where failure is the norm and there is no expectation to excel. It's a certain recipe for disaster, and that's what we'll all be facing unless this chain of incompetence and failure is broken. Randy Lerner, it's over to you.

For me that sums it up perfectly!

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2014, 11:42:06 AM »

For me that sums it up perfectly!

Best post on here in ages.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2014, 11:50:22 AM »
I hate ,absolutely hate, away fans celebrating goals and wins at Villa Park. It has been a dreadful dreadful season for that. Something that I can not recall in my 40+ years of going down there. I am just fed up now.

Under Lambert walking out of the North stand up Witton Lane against a tide of celebrating away fans has become Groundhog Day.

Offline claret and blue blood

« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2014, 12:05:57 PM »
Having slept on yesterday's latest humiliating surrender (broken sleep) ,I think we as fans have been to passive,Lerner has got away with murder and we either don't go anymore or we sit there,the odd muted boos or leave early.If I remember correctly Liverpool and Manure fans have forcibly demonstrated against their owners in the recent past (both American) it's time for us to do the same FORCIBLY or are we too down trodden to do it?

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2014, 12:10:50 PM »
Having slept on yesterday's latest humiliating surrender (broken sleep) ,I think we as fans have been to passive,Lerner has got away with murder and we either don't go anymore or we sit there,the odd muted boos or leave early.If I remember correctly Liverpool and Manure fans have forcibly demonstrated against their owners in the recent past (both American) it's time for us to do the same FORCIBLY or are we too down trodden to do it?

Agreed. When Ellis was here the fans were never shy to protest but under Lerner there's so much apathy. Fans just sit there and say nothing other than a few muted boos at the final whistle.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2014, 12:14:04 PM »
Is the problem then that we've always been a bit crap? Eureka!
No that's not the case. Whilst fortress Villa Park has never been there not even in the season we won the Championship I can not remember anything as bad as this season. I expect a club the size of ours to win at least 60% of the home games with a few draws and the odd defeat now and then but maximum 3. This season losing games particularly to the likes of Crystal Palace, West Ham, Stoke and now Fulham is NOT acceptable.

We haven't won 60% of home games for a long long time.

Our best home season in the last 10 years was 07/08 when we won 10/19. Even that season we still had 6 defeats so not a million miles off this one.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal