collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Indefensible home form.  (Read 19367 times)

Online rob_bridge

Re: Indefensible home form.
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2014, 08:46:53 AM »
What gets me is there's no media coverage of our demise. We don't even register anymore. No pressure on lambert. It's as if he gets a pass because he plays the "youth". We're a laughing stock
To be fair Pat Murphy did pin him down about home form yesterday in post match press Conf  and Tim Abraham  from talk sport carried on that theme with his questioning. Lambert squirmed and said something that at best I didn't understand and at worst were feeble and  implausible words.

Do you have a link?

But yes the original point is that our profile is below that of Southampton nowadays

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2014, 08:48:42 AM »
The post match interview with Pat Murphy was embarrassingly bad.

And Paul Lambert's answers weren't much better either.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2014, 10:02:24 AM »
It is embarrassing, indefensible, inexcusable, untenable, etc. But there's still no way the board will realise it - they'll think 'how can they complain about the home form when we've beaten City and Chelsea?'.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2014, 10:07:15 AM »
Why are we so crap at home though? It's been going on for a sustained period of time, so there must be a reason behind it. If it's down to the manager, what's he doing wrong? As bad as this squad is, they're better than a lot of the teams we've lost to. Baffling.

We've had 4 years of asset stripping where we've sold our best players and replaced them with substandard lower league players, that's why we're so shit at home. It's not rocket science. We've been run on a (relative) shoe string over the last 4 years. You can't run a Premier League club on Championship wages, and that's the main problem at Villa.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2014, 10:09:14 AM »
We weren't all that great at home under MON either though.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2014, 10:11:16 AM »

we rarely lost though at home under MON though. its the constant enjoyment had by visiting fans at VP this season that's just so depressing.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2014, 10:14:59 AM »

we rarely lost though at home under MON though. its the constant enjoyment had by visiting fans at VP this season that's just so depressing.

19 league defeats at home under Lambert. A quite disgraceful stat. He should be sacked for that alone.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2014, 10:16:07 AM »
Under MON
06-07 - 4 home defeats 7 wins
07-08 - 6 home defeats  10 wins
08-09 - 3 home defeats    7 wins
09-10 -3 home defeats  8 wins

by far biggest problem at home under MON was too many draws.

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2014, 10:21:04 AM »
We've had 4 years of asset stripping where we've sold our best players and replaced them with substandard lower league players, that's why we're so shit at home. It's not rocket science. We've been run on a (relative) shoe string over the last 4 years. You can't run a Premier League club on Championship wages, and that's the main problem at Villa.

We've generally been better away from home for the last few years though, and worse teams than us have better home records than us. I know Villa are going downhill at the moment, but not winning at home isn't a new thing for us. This isn't an argument for this thread and to be honest I'm boring myself with it, but I don't want Lambert sacked. One thing that really, really frustrates me about him though is his stubbornness with the home tactics when it clearly isn't working.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2014, 10:21:23 AM »
Under MON

We used to be difficult to beat though, we could claw back a draw even if we didn't win.
Haven't we had more draw results than any other ever-present Premiership club?

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2014, 10:22:37 AM »
Under MON

We used to be difficult to beat though, we could claw back a draw even if we didn't win.
Haven't we had more draw results than any other ever-present Premiership club?

that was always the case pre-O'Neill too. Under Gregory we were a similar type of side but not as good.

Offline Tom_Mc9?

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2014, 10:23:28 AM »
Is the problem then that we've always been a bit crap? Eureka!

Offline Witton Warrior

« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2014, 10:24:05 AM »

We've generally been better away from home for the last few years though, and worse teams than us have better home records than us. I know Villa are going downhill at the moment, but not winning at home isn't a new thing for us. This isn't an argument for this thread and to be honest I'm boring myself with it, but I don't want Lambert sacked. One thing that really, really frustrates me about him though is his stubbornness with the home tactics when it clearly isn't working.

It's not the fact we aren't winning though Tom - we keep losing - convert half these home losses into draws and we are on 39 points and comfortable if not exciting. The "good away from home" idea is wearing a bit thin now - no win since Jan 1st isn't it?

Offline Witton Warrior

« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2014, 10:24:52 AM »
Is the problem then that we've always been a bit crap? Eureka!

You may just have spotted the problem there mate

Offline Tom_Mc9?

« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2014, 10:26:42 AM »
You're right about the good away form. I hesitated before writing it which is why I wrote 'generally.'

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal