collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 20 years ago today  (Read 5198 times)

Online Chico Hamilton III

20 years ago today
« on: March 27, 2014, 09:07:25 AM »
Villa's cup fill it up

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
Re: 20 years ago today
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 09:28:15 AM »
a brilliant day and stopped them winning the domestic treble !

""where's your treble gone""

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 09:33:19 AM »

[/youtube]

Offline Damo70

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 09:52:45 AM »
Great day. I was so hyped up I didn't go to bed the night before. It was a few weeks before I moved out of my parents house and I worked my way through the drinks cabinet. The first and last time in my life I ever drank Cinzano. I went down the road for a newspaper at about seven. Despite staying up all night drinking I felt fresh as a daisy.

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 10:09:40 AM »
Do not go but watched it with some friends one a manure fan " You are only here to make up the numbers" Yes we made them up Villa 3 manure 1 lol

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 10:34:36 AM »
Great day. I was so hyped up I didn't go to bed the night before. It was a few weeks before I moved out of my parents house and I worked my way through the drinks cabinet. The first and last time in my life I ever drank Cinzano. I went down the road for a newspaper at about seven. Despite staying up all night drinking I felt fresh as a daisy.

Nice post damo. I was a filthy student at the time in north London. Had been on the mick mills the night before and wasn't the freshest the next day, also had tonsilitis. One of the best days of my Villa supporting career though-  first villa wembley final. What a day! Rest of the night is a bit hazy after leaving the ground! Big Ron, where's ya jewellery gone?

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 10:40:59 AM »
What a day! We had lost four on the bounce going into it as well, hadn't we? No-one gave us a chance.

I was sat way up behind the goal we were playing towards in the first-half. Cyrille Regis was sat a few seats away.

Coming after the Tranmere semi-final and then being followed by the win over Inter a few months later, that was an amazing time to be following the Villa.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 01:04:20 PM »
What a day! We had lost four on the bounce going into it as well, hadn't we? No-one gave us a chance.

I was sat way up behind the goal we were playing towards in the first-half. Cyrille Regis was sat a few seats away.

Coming after the Tranmere semi-final and then being followed by the win over Inter a few months later, that was an amazing time to be following the Villa.

You must have been very close to me as I could see Regis from where I was sitting but I can't quite remember exactly where he was in relation to me. Definitely to my left but more than a few seats away and may have been a row in front or behind. I punched the bloke in front of me in the back of the neck whilst attempting to to Bosnich's job for him when we were under pressure at 2-1. I apologised but I don't think he even felt it much everyone was so hyped up at that point.

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 02:07:09 PM »

You must have been very close to me as I could see Regis from where I was sitting but I can't quite remember exactly where he was in relation to me. Definitely to my left but more than a few seats away and may have been a row in front or behind. I punched the bloke in front of me in the back of the neck whilst attempting to to Bosnich's job for him when we were under pressure at 2-1. I apologised but I don't think he even felt it much everyone was so hyped up at that point.

It sounds as though we were sat very close to one another! He was to my left, a few seats away - maybe ten or so, I don't remember clearly - and, I think, one row behind.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 03:39:01 PM »
Great day out, on a par with Tranmere because we beat the so called Treble winners, as mentioned earlier we were told Manure just had to show up. So many superb memories and the save that Bozzie made at 2-1 was top drawer, utv!

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 04:10:12 PM »
Something that nobody has mentioned really, is the fact that we genuinely had a bit of a rivalry going with ManUre back then.   They had only just pipped us to the league the year before and our games around that time were always very close.  So yes, although we were underdogs, we weren't coming at it from a no-hope situation, we belonged there and had the players to do them some damage - and so it proved.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 04:20:45 PM »
I always remember from the commentary Brian Moore and Kevin Keegan moaning about Kanchelskis being sent off - for stopping a certain goal with his hands in the last minute of a Cup Final when the result was on a knife edge!

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 04:27:02 PM »
As the free kick Deano scored from was being lined up when it was still 1-0 the bloke next to us turned to us and said "If this goes in I'm going to come in my trousers."

Next thing that happened was the ball hit the back of the net. We never found out if he was telling the truth - although we did ask. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 04:29:04 PM by Richard E »

Offline glasses

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 04:31:14 PM »
I always remember from the commentary Brian Moore and Kevin Keegan moaning about Kanchelskis being sent off - for stopping a certain goal with his hands in the last minute of a Cup Final when the result was on a knife edge!
Me too.

I also remember Keegan saying something about us struggling to get into the game or something, just as Atkinson was put through to score!

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 04:31:29 PM »
I liked how Brian Moore described Man Utd's play as some sort of exhibition performance, seconds before we scored the first goal.

What a magnificent weekend that was.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal