collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by aj2k77
[Today at 10:01:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 10:00:03 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 09:57:10 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by chrisw1
[Today at 09:56:02 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by john e
[Today at 09:55:13 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by brontebilly
[Today at 09:53:18 AM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by brontebilly
[Today at 09:51:18 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The cycling thread  (Read 98359 times)

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
Re: The cycling thread
« Reply #195 on: July 18, 2016, 05:05:00 PM »
Sagan magnificent as usual.Cav put up a very good performance to be close near the end.
Looking forward to Paris.Dont disregard Griepal for the final Sprint.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #196 on: July 20, 2016, 05:11:03 PM »
Quintana is fucking hopeless, I've seen club riders put in more effort on a Sunday club run 60 miler to a coffee shop the lazy bastard.

Online SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #197 on: July 20, 2016, 06:12:29 PM »
Quintana is fucking hopeless, I've seen club riders put in more effort on a Sunday club run 60 miler to a coffee shop the lazy bastard.

He's completely devoid of any tactical nous and from the outset would be happy with second place.  Hopefully he won't be on the podium.  Can't see Valverde helping him too much in the remaining stages. 

Froome looks very strong and completely in control.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #198 on: July 20, 2016, 06:33:51 PM »

He's completely devoid of any tactical nous and from the outset would be happy with second place.  Hopefully he won't be on the podium.  Can't see Valverde helping him too much in the remaining stages. 

Froome looks very strong and completely in control.

Nobody should be helping Quintana, he's done nothing so far and I really hope he doesn't make the podium come Paris.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #199 on: July 20, 2016, 08:41:53 PM »
As an aside I have been impressed by David Millar's input as co commentator. Pity some of our ex footballers are not up to his standard regarding their own sport.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #200 on: July 20, 2016, 09:41:44 PM »
Cavendish!  4th stage win, mighty impressive.

He will be totally cream crackered come the Olympics.

That was his last day, was always his plan to withdraw and concentrate on Rio.

Is that official?  He's in with a shout for tomorrow's stage  and must fancy Paris given current form.

Well according to The Torygraph yesterday he's now saying he still intends to ride to Paris whereas in last weeks Cycling Weekly he claimed he'd withdraw before The Alps.  Who knows!

A few days ago he was talking about Paris in a 'see how it goes' type of vein.  He's keen to win on the Champs Elysee but doesn't want to kill himself for Rio in the process.

He didn't start yesterday. Withdrew to concentrate on Rio.

Online SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #201 on: July 20, 2016, 09:45:53 PM »
As an aside I have been impressed by David Millar's input as co commentator. Pity some of our ex footballers are not up to his standard regarding their own sport.

Agreed, and both his books are well worth reading.  He reminds me of a 1980's David Byrne.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #202 on: July 21, 2016, 08:48:19 AM »

Agreed, and both his books are well worth reading.  He reminds me of a 1980's David Byrne.

He's a very nice bloke, I've ridden with him twice now, only bad thing to say about him is his sense of fashion, he has some honking outfits.

Offline ian c.

• GM : 19.06.2024
« Reply #203 on: July 22, 2016, 09:10:25 AM »

He's a very nice bloke, I've ridden with him twice now, only bad thing to say about him is his sense of fashion, he has some honking outfits.

I believe you are confusing honking with sartorial elegance.  It's a fine line.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #204 on: July 22, 2016, 03:23:18 PM »

What he wears on a bike is his own gear, he worked with Castelli to produce a line of clothing called Chapter 3 http://www.chpt3.com/home

Buttons on a cycling jersey FFS?  £260 for a Gabba jersey that Wiggle pug out for £70.  Plus it's all so fucking dull, grey, light grey or dark grey.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #205 on: July 22, 2016, 03:56:21 PM »
Froome's legendary bike (mis) handling skills there, stay off the white line numb nuts.

Offline ian c.

« Reply #206 on: July 22, 2016, 04:03:21 PM »
Froome's legendary bike (mis) handling skills there, stay off the white line numb nuts.

Tense stage so far.  Hard blokes these.

Offline ian c.

« Reply #207 on: July 22, 2016, 04:07:17 PM »

What he wears on a bike is his own gear, he worked with Castelli to produce a line of clothing called Chapter 3 http://www.chpt3.com/home

Buttons on a cycling jersey FFS?  £260 for a Gabba jersey that Wiggle pug out for £70.  Plus it's all so fucking dull, grey, light grey or dark grey.

Eye watering prices....   I think I'll stick Cafe du Cycliste if I need something expensive, but not that expensive.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #208 on: July 22, 2016, 04:55:08 PM »

Eye watering prices....   I think I'll stick Cafe du Cycliste if I need something expensive, but not that expensive.

People moan about Rapha prices but quite honestly you get what you pay for, I have 2 pairs of their bib shorts that must be 3 and 4 years old respectively and they still feel brand new and soak up century rides with ease, same with jerseys, I think I have 3 or 4 and again they look and feel brand new, one of them is long sleeved, I think it's called Deep Winter, best bit of cycling clothing I own alongside a Gabba from Castelli.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #209 on: July 24, 2016, 01:44:05 PM »
Just the 113km procession from Chantilly to go.  Froome & Team Sky far too well organised and far too strong for the rest of the field, unless there is a seismic shift in cycling I can't see anyone challenging Froome for a while at the TdF. 

As dominant as he's been at the tour again, I don't understand why he doesn't take that clear dominance to other stage races, Eddy Merckx he is not.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal