collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by eamonn
[Today at 01:34:31 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 01:33:31 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The cycling thread  (Read 100893 times)

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
Re: The cycling thread
« Reply #615 on: June 05, 2023, 07:40:50 PM »
Death at Ironman Hamburg with a press motorbike riding on the wrong side of the road with competitors cycling both ways. Surprisingly the Motorbike rider died in the incident although he was over 70 so might have been a heart attack after the incident.

https://tri-today.com/2023/06/motard-ironman-hamburg-dies-after-horror-crash-with-cyclist-video/

That stretch of road is too narrow for 2 way traffic, add motorcycles in and it’s a recipe for disaster. UCI regs state a physical barrier between riders if an out and back course. Way too many motos on the course and the issue was raised at the pro briefing and Ironman failed to respond to pro concerns about moto numbers.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #616 on: June 06, 2023, 10:59:48 AM »
Death at Ironman Hamburg with a press motorbike riding on the wrong side of the road with competitors cycling both ways. Surprisingly the Motorbike rider died in the incident although he was over 70 so might have been a heart attack after the incident.

https://tri-today.com/2023/06/motard-ironman-hamburg-dies-after-horror-crash-with-cyclist-video/

That stretch of road is too narrow for 2 way traffic, add motorcycles in and it’s a recipe for disaster. UCI regs state a physical barrier between riders if an out and back course. Way too many motos on the course and the issue was raised at the pro briefing and Ironman failed to respond to pro concerns about moto numbers.

I’ve heard quite a few rumbles from a few people I know about Ironman as an organisation Jon, as you’re an actual competitor how does it feel from your angle at the events you’ve done?

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #617 on: June 06, 2023, 10:06:03 PM »
Similar thing happened at Ironman Bolton the other year. Competitor was injured when hit on a supposed closed road section of road. Turned out the marshals had waved the car on to the course. They apparently also opened the course up to traffic a few hours earlier then they told the amateur competitors.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #618 on: June 12, 2023, 03:49:31 PM »

I’ve heard quite a few rumbles from a few people I know about Ironman as an organisation Jon, as you’re an actual competitor how does it feel from your angle at the events you’ve done?

I've raced over 25 Ironman races now including a World Championship 70.3.
Man that is a whole can of worms.
I've had great and shocking and everything in between.

In Bahrain at the Middle East Champs in 2018 there were cars on the bike course within 5km of the start, I also saw at least 3 £15k TT/Tri bikes under lorries heading out to The Tree Of Life and the GP circuit, on the run course local Arab athletes were wearing headphones (specifically banned) on the run course getting in the way and generally obstructing faster athletes, nobody said a word.

In France at Aix-En-Provence cars on a closed road mountain course, marshals and helpers on the run course on their phones playing Candy Crush whilst athletes were collapsing with heat exhaustion in the heat.

In Barcelona pelotons of 30 plus cyclists all drafting (banned) each other and nothing gets done.

In Turkey Russian athletes riding in pelotons together all drafting off each other in turns like a pro peloton and nothing got done.

In Morocco £15k TT & Sri bikes being transferred to the T1 area on a flat bed, bikes literally thrown on top of each other for a 15km journey through the desert.

I am also aware of bikes being stolen from T1 overnight before a race.

Now there's a lot there that is down to athletes not playing by the rules, there have been deaths, mostly in the swim and pretty much all down to a cardiac arrest. Ironman is a hugely popular and successful global brand, it lost it's way during the pandemic but I think it's on the right course again now. It's all about the money though, if I qualified for say the full Ironman World Championships in Kona Hawaii, the race entry fee alone is well over $1000. I know a few people who've raced there, in fact my coach has, it cost him in excess of £20k all in with flights, transport and accommodation, it's just not sustainable and I think that's part of the reason why the mens WC this year is in Nice, France and the women is in Kona.

Offline simon ward 50

« Reply #619 on: June 13, 2023, 11:14:45 AM »
Women's Tour de Pyrenees stopped over safety concerns I see! Namely vehicles and other obstructions as roads not closed even for a few minutes to let the race go by and reports of only 4 motorbike outriders to warn of the oncoming race!

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #620 on: June 13, 2023, 05:00:55 PM »
Yep that tier of racing doesn't get closed roads even under UCI rules.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #621 on: June 14, 2023, 07:38:15 AM »
German newspaper Bild is reporting that the 70-year-old moto driver who died at Ironman Hamburg had an ear infection that led to a balance disorder and was told not to drive for three months in April by his doctor.

Offline Somniloquism

« Reply #622 on: June 14, 2023, 08:43:03 AM »
German newspaper Bild is reporting that the 70-year-old moto driver who died at Ironman Hamburg had an ear infection that led to a balance disorder and was told not to drive for three months in April by his doctor.

So seems to be a similar thing that a Doctor or Optician here could diagnose something which means the driver is a menace on the roads, yet can't legally inform anyone to stop them driving.

Offline ian c.

• GM : 19.06.2024
« Reply #623 on: June 14, 2023, 10:06:47 AM »
On a brighter note, Rachel Atherton was back to winning ways at the weekend.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #624 on: June 14, 2023, 02:26:44 PM »
Really enjoying the Tour de France Unchained documentary on Netflix, great stuff even for the non cyclist.

Offline Somniloquism

« Reply #625 on: June 14, 2023, 02:43:46 PM »
The section with Pidcocks descent.......

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #626 on: June 14, 2023, 10:39:43 PM »

Just watched that episode this evening. Yikes.  I’ve hit 85 kmh a few times but fuck me 105 kmh down the Galibier.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 07:59:33 AM by Jon Crofts »

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #627 on: June 15, 2023, 10:37:08 AM »

Just watched that episode this evening. Yikes.  I’ve hit 85 kmh a few times but fuck me 105 kmh down the Galibier.

Was stunning footage too…totally on the edge riding

Offline Somniloquism

« Reply #628 on: June 16, 2023, 12:11:05 PM »
Gino Mader has died after crashing on a descent leading to the finish. I thought they had stopped doing stage finishes at the bottom of HC climbs to stop riders wiping out trying to cross the finish line.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #629 on: June 16, 2023, 12:11:32 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/65926606

Swiss cyclist Gino Mader has died at the age of 26 after crashing on stage five of the Tour de Suisse.

The Team Bahrain Victorious rider was involved in a high-speed crash with American Magnus Sheffield, 21, on Thursday on the descent of the Albula Pass and fell into a ravine.

He was resuscitated at the scene before being airlifted to hospital in Chur, but passed away on Friday morning.

Bahrain Victorious said Mader was "one of the shining lights of our team".

"Gino was an extraordinary athlete, an example of determination, a valued member of our team and the whole cycling community," the team said.

"His talent, dedication and passion for the sport has inspired us all."

Team managing director Milan Erzen said: "Not only was he an extremely talented cyclist, but a great person off the bike.

"Bahrain Victorious will race in his honour, keeping his memory on every road we race. We are determined to show the spirit and passion Gino displayed, and he will always remain an integral part of our team."

A statement said the Tour de Suisse is "heartbroken" by Mader's death, while the UCI - cycling's world governing body - said he was a "rising star".

Ineos Grenadiers rider Sheffield was taken to hospital with a concussion and soft tissue damage.

More to follow.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal