collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Paul Lambert thread - poll reset after our capitulation to Hull  (Read 1631656 times)

Offline aj2k77

Re: The Paul Lambert thread
« Reply #4620 on: April 17, 2014, 10:50:57 AM »
These two muppets going hopefully wont be enough of a gesture to appease the fans and the chief muppet lambert will follow them in the summer.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #4621 on: April 17, 2014, 11:20:41 AM »
Was going to say Ads. Pulis spent a fortune on shit players at Stoke. He has done wonders at Palace, but he has been very lucky to walk into a squad with 2 players of the quality of Puncheon and Bolasie. He has focused them brilliantly, but I would say had he built the Palace side himself they would be worse off.

its the one thing that you cant deny about Pulis, nobody wants to play (or watch) his teams. With hindsight he would have been perfect for the last 3 years at our club.

I'd rather have a shit competitive team than a shit calamitous one

He's fine at small clubs where expectations are low but he wouldn't survive at a club like us.
If you had written that message 5 years ago maybe. Go back to the threads at the start of tthe season -all we hope for now is midtable safety, the double over the albion with a half decent cup run and a Wembley appearance every 3-4years. Look at our attendances, look at our squad and the wages we pay. Dont fool yourself into thinking having a great stadium allows us to be defined as a big club anymore, we cant play the proud history card forever.

We are now only just above West Ham, West Brom and Stoke in terms of our appeal and are now less of a draw than Spurs, Everton and Newcastle. I am gutted to write that as it is a sad inditement of the Lerner tenure. After the initial indignation of a statement like that dies away, im sure most on here would probably agree....

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #4622 on: April 17, 2014, 11:27:36 AM »
Was going to say Ads. Pulis spent a fortune on shit players at Stoke. He has done wonders at Palace, but he has been very lucky to walk into a squad with 2 players of the quality of Puncheon and Bolasie. He has focused them brilliantly, but I would say had he built the Palace side himself they would be worse off.

its the one thing that you cant deny about Pulis, nobody wants to play (or watch) his teams. With hindsight he would have been perfect for the last 3 years at our club.

He's fine at small clubs where expectations are low but he wouldn't survive at a club like us.
If you had written that message 5 years ago maybe. Go back to the threads at the start of tthe season -all we hope for now is midtable safety, the double over the albion with a half decent cup run and a Wembley appearance every 3-4years. Look at our attendances, look at our squad and the wages we pay. Dont fool yourself into thinking having a great stadium allows us to be defined as a big club anymore, we cant play the proud history card forever.

We are now only just above West Ham, West Brom and Stoke in terms of our appeal and are now less of a draw than Spurs, Everton and Newcastle. I am gutted to write that as it is a sad inditement of the Lerner tenure. After the initial indignation of a statement like that dies away, im sure most on here would probably agree....

Alas while Lerner remains that is the truth of the matter.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #4623 on: April 17, 2014, 11:34:06 AM »

He would come in like McLeish, with half the fan base already against him. First sign of trouble and the other half would turn.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #4624 on: April 17, 2014, 11:39:41 AM »
Its easy to say with hindsight that i too would have sooner had Pulis in over the last 3 years than the two that we've had, but i wouldn't have wanted him at the time we took Lambert on, and i would be pretty underwhelmed if he came in now.

That said, i think people saying 'he weren't that good at Stoke' and 'He's been lucky at Palace' really are doing him an injustice. He's been really good for both no question.

As i say though, i'd still be aiming a little higher for us this summer, should Lerner do the right thing and move Lambert on. A little more style please.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4625 on: April 17, 2014, 11:43:11 AM »
I think the majority of Stoke fans were pleased when Pulis went though. They were starting to grumble about the kind of football he played and if you remember they were bloody awful towards the end of last season.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #4626 on: April 17, 2014, 11:58:26 AM »
If Pullis came to Villa it would be a similar deal to Stoke. Establish us safe mid table and then get Mark Hughes in hire a manager who could take us the next step.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #4627 on: April 17, 2014, 12:01:14 PM »
I am pretty sure if Lambert finishes with less points than last season he will be gone and quite rightly so. The board can't point to injuries as Mcleish had a pretty horrific time on that front. He needs a real good finish to the season ( I make that the equivalent of 3 wins ) If we're stumbling over the line with no sign of improvement he will be gone.

Unless we go down I think he will be given more time. There seems to be trust between him, Lerner and Faulkner and they know from experience that getting rid of a manager in itself doesn't necessarily bring any improvement.

I agree with you, Chris, I'm convinced Lambert won't be going anywhere but it's for personal reasons rather than footballing. Lerner obviously has a very good personal relationship with Lambert and that to him is more important than what happens on the pitch.

Lerner obviously has very little faith in his ability to appoint managers if he thinks another manager couldn't bring any improvement. Truth be told, he'd struggle to find a manager that could match Lambert's poor record and disjointed football. No doubt it will prove to be another expensive mistake by Lerner, paying out yet again to replace another underperforming, tactically inept manager.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #4628 on: April 17, 2014, 12:04:40 PM »
I think the majority of Stoke fans were pleased when Pulis went though. They were starting to grumble about the kind of football he played and if you remember they were bloody awful towards the end of last season.

I think quite a few of the Wolves fans were pleased when McCarthy went though, but that one went well and truly tits up! :-)

I think Stoke did well getting Hughes in, another underrated manger IMO. It really could have gone either way for them. Pulis got them up and established them in the division, at that point for the first time in over 20 years.

Online FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #4629 on: April 17, 2014, 12:15:29 PM »
All the talk of Lamberts's job being safe because of his relationship with Lerner is short term.In the long term it's the Villa fans who will determine his fate.
If we survive and Lambert brings in his own new coaching staff next season , what happens when we have a bad run or the home form is still dire ?
The buck stops with Lambert.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #4630 on: April 17, 2014, 12:47:05 PM »
All the talk of Lamberts's job being safe because of his relationship with Lerner is short term.In the long term it's the Villa fans who will determine his fate.
If we survive and Lambert brings in his own new coaching staff next season , what happens when we have a bad run or the home form is still dire ?
The buck stops with Lambert.

I don't think we can speculate with any confidence beyond this summer. My guess is that if by Christmas things have not improved then his position will be very precarious and he could be out. However, if we are nudging the top 10 he will be ok. 

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #4631 on: April 17, 2014, 01:08:19 PM »
are you Paul Lambert?

Offline supertom

« Reply #4632 on: April 17, 2014, 01:15:32 PM »

I think quite a few of the Wolves fans were pleased when McCarthy went though, but that one went well and truly tits up! :-)

I think Stoke did well getting Hughes in, another underrated manger IMO. It really could have gone either way for them. Pulis got them up and established them in the division, at that point for the first time in over 20 years.
I think sometimes you can be in a job too long. I think Stoke needed to freshen things up and Pulis needed a fresh challenge. It's worked out all round. Needless to say he did a fantastic job for Stoke all told and has started very well for Palace.

Would I want him at Villa? Not really. I'm not sure he'd suit us for one, and after 3 years of durge, we deserve a bit of good football I think. I'd look overseas.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #4633 on: April 17, 2014, 01:18:33 PM »
are you Paul Lambert?

Ha, brilliant.

I'm just a realist, looking at the facts as far as we know them. If we find out anything else I might see things differently but at the moment everything is pointing to Lerner wanting to keep him.

Offline caster troy

« Reply #4634 on: April 17, 2014, 01:28:06 PM »
The thought of another season of Lambert is so depressing. I never thought it would be easy to walk away from the club but they are practically forcing me out of the door at the moment.

It seems like the only hope we have now is a summer takeover, otherwise we'll just have Lerner, Lambert and Faulkner patting each other on the back while the club slides into oblivion.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal