collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: View From the Opposition - WBA fan  (Read 29707 times)

Offline Liam_Baggies

View From the Opposition - WBA fan
« on: January 22, 2014, 08:12:19 PM »
Hi, folks.

Again, if you could complete the questionnaire beneath it would be much appreciated - the finished article will then be provided in this topic early next week.

1. The game at the Hawthorns finished 2-2. What was your assessment of the game?

2. WBA recently sacked Steve Clarke and appointed Pepe Mel. What were your thoughts on Clarke's sacking and the appointment of Pepe Mel?

3. Paul Lambert has been receiving some criticism from supporters. Is he still the right man for AVFC?

4. Villa have signed Grant Holt and Ryan Bertrand. What are your opinions on these additions?

5. Are there any other positions which need strengthening during January?

6. Anelka has been in the headlines for the wrong reasons. What have you made of the situation? Does he warrant a suspension and for how long?

7. If you were to form a side using Albion/Villa players - what would the side be?

8. Which side shall win the league & which three sides shall be relegated?

9. What side is Paul Lambert likely to choose for our encounter?

10. And finally, score predictions.

Thank you.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
Re: View From the Opposition - WBA fan
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 08:23:55 PM »
1. The game at the Hawthorns finished 2-2. What was your assessment of the game?
We lulled you into a false sense of security with our second team and showed our superiority when the real players came on.

2. WBA recently sacked Steve Clarke and appointed Pepe Mel. What were your thoughts on Clarke's sacking and the appointment of Pepe Mel?
Harsh. Who?

3. Paul Lambert has been receiving some criticism from supporters. Is he still the right man for AVFC?
Yes, but needs a good second half of the season in terms of playing style.

4. Villa have signed Grant Holt and Ryan Bertrand. What are your opinions on these additions?
Holt - adequate cover. Bertrand - good signing in a position which really needed it. Hope we can keep him next season.

Attacking midfield.

6. Anelka has been in the headlines for the wrong reasons. What have you made of the situation? Does he warrant a suspension and for how long?
Yes. Even if he was just sticking up for a friend, the friend was a comedian accused of anti-semitism. He was a prat for doing it. 5 games minimum.

7. If you were to form a side using Albion/Villa players - what would the side be?
Guzan, Lowton, Bertrand, Vlaar, Okore/Clark, Westwood, Delph, Bacuna, Benteke, Gabby, Albrighton. Berahino and Foster can be subs if they behave.

Chelsea. Palace, Cardiff, West Ham.

See 7. Clark obviously rather than Okore. Probably Weimann instead of Albrighton.

4-0 Villa.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 08:26:26 PM by SheffieldVillain »

Offline Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 08:46:01 PM »
1. The game at the Hawthorns finished 2-2. What was your assessment of the game? The first 20 mins or so reflected the confidence of the 2 teams going into the game, but I thought after that we got to grips and in the second half should have pushed on to win as you were there for the taking !

2. WBA recently sacked Steve Clarke and appointed Pepe Mel. What were your thoughts on Clarke's sacking and the appointment of Pepe Mel? Harsh, no idea as not heard of him

3. Paul Lambert has been receiving some criticism from supporters. Is he still the right man for AVFC? I hope so but needs to learn quicker from mistakes and be less stubborn

4. Villa have signed Grant Holt and Ryan Bertrand. What are your opinions on these additions? Holt indifferent though will bring some experience, Bertrand delighted !

5. Are there any other positions which need strengthening during January? Centre half and midfield

6. Anelka has been in the headlines for the wrong reasons. What have you made of the situation? Does he warrant a suspension and for how long? Yes a definite suspension sorry but maybe not for 5 games

7. If you were to form a side using Albion/Villa players - what would the side be? I'd only have one of your centre mids, Mulumbu or other guy (sorry forgot his name), the rest would be Villa

8. Which side shall win the league & which three sides shall be relegated? Man City, Sunderland, Norwich, Fulham (but tbh it could be any of another 3 or 4 including WBA

9. What side is Paul Lambert likely to choose for our encounter? As per the Liverpool game unless Gabby is out in which case I hope Lowton plays right back and Bacuna plays behind Benteke and Weimann

10. And finally, score predictions. We should win 3-1 but hey this is normally a draw so 2 2 again

Offline frank black

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 08:47:01 PM »

Game of two halves.

Harsh but fine as you had a better one lined up..........?.?.? Eh?

Jury is still out for me.

Holt, good emergency cover. Bertrand is a good player.

Midfield

Plonker and yes for a few games.

I'd have Shane long on the bench........whoops he's gone ;-)

Man city
Sunderland, Cardiff and Palace.

The usual names.

1 - 1

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 08:49:07 PM »
Hi, folks.

Again, if you could complete the questionnaire beneath it would be much appreciated - the finished article will then be provided in this topic early next week.

we wuz robbed

his novels are on my bedside table

Absolutely

Bertrand was brilliant in a Villa shirt and Holt, who arrived later, will be brilliant in a Villa shirt.

Absolutely

Yes; and 100 years

All Villa  - except for Ridgewell.  I really like him, sorry he left.

Man City - relegated
Not really, MC for the title

And Cardiff, Wet Ham and Everton for the drop.

I know, I know. But I think Everton are about to implode.

Whoever is fit. They will still do the job!

Villa 3 WB 0

Thank you.
No probs, thank you for asking.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 08:54:45 PM »
As usual, a complete class response from our Louzie0 there.
Class girly, complete class. 8) 8)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 08:55:02 PM »

You were the better side in the first half, we were the better side in the second. It was quite a good game, it has to be said. I doubt Long will ever score goals better than his two that night. That also showed one way we've improved this year, we are more resilient.

Sacking was harsh. I like Mel's determination to answer press questions in English.

He's going to have to be, frankly, because starting all over again doesn't bear thinking about. I also suspect the major (though not only) constraining factor is money, in particular the need to not spend too much of it.

Holt - massively unimpressed, will turn out a waste of money. Bertrand, much more impressive. Thank God no more Luna.

Creative midfielder, possibly another midfield option.

I think he knew what he was doing, and deserves a suspension.

Mediocre.

Man City win league, Norwich, Sunderland, West Ham doomed.

Guzan

Bertrand Vlaar Clark Bacuna
KEA Delph Westwood
Weimann Benteke Agbonlahor

0-0

Offline Michel Sibble

• Wiibble.
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 08:58:35 PM »
Poor start, but improved and got back in the game.

Initially thought sacking was harsh, but MOTD flashed up his recent record, which was something like eight wins in 30-odd. Maybe he could have turned the corner? Who knows.
Pepe Mel, know very little about, but does show up the lack of quality British managers available and competent in the EPL.

Yes, because of the Liverpool game. We play our full-strength players in, we perform much better.

Very surprised to get Bertrand in, hope we got a first-dibs clause (doubt it). Had doubts over Holt, whether he still had the form he showed at Norwich, but showing every bit the door-picker we need in order to create attacking chances.
It also showed that when Lambert wanted experience, it didn't necessarily meant going back on his youth-first policy, or going after the high wage-low interest bleeders we have largely got rid of.

Midfield mainly. With Hoolahan possibly.

The FA need to set an example in charging Anelka, it's less about what constitutes a reverse Nazi signal, rather any such action needs to be nipped in the bud before it becomes a big problem. We can do without racists in the game and we can do without cocks like Anelka and Suarez.

Would take Sessegnon and Mulumbu, everyone else Villa.

Couldn't care less, and Norwich, Cardiff, Fulham

Guzan, Vlaa-rke, Bacuna, Bertrand -  KEA, Westwood, Delph, Gabby - Weimann, Benteke

3-2 with Holt setting up the winner.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 09:08:33 PM »

Was that rarest of games: We made subs that actually came on and changed the game.

Clarke sacking didn't make sense, unless he 'lost the dressing room'  or any other dial-a-cliche.

We'll have a better idea by the end of the season. It's not a given, but we should stay up.  The home form needs serious improvement.

Holt: meh.  Bertrand: better. 

Central midfield, centre defence and wide cover/attacking midfield too, ideally.

6. Anelka has been in the headlines for the wrong reasons. What have you made of the situation? Does he warrant a suspension and for how long? He was an arse to do that and to think that -as one of France's most recognised players- he'd get away with it.  Throw the book at him.

7. If you were to form a side using Albion/Villa players - what would the side be? Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Olsson, Bertrand, Mulumbu, Brunt, Delph, Gabby, Benteke, Behranio

Chelsea.   Slumberland, Palarse and Norwich   I expect West Ham and yourselves to be heavily involved though.  We might be fighting it out too, if the home form in the second half of the campaign mirrors the first

Guzan, Bacuna, Vlaar, Clark, Bertrand, Westwood, KEA, Delph, Hoolahan, Benteke, Gabby

2-1 Villa

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 09:32:38 PM »
As usual, a complete class response from our Louzie0 there.
Class girly, complete class. 8) 8)

It's always nice to be appreciated. Thanks, DanL!

Offline Sam Smith

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 09:33:38 PM »

We were poor first half and got what we deserved in the second after we introduced our more effective players and could have won it. I don't know why Albion don't go for our jugular when it's exposed.

You had been appalling for 12 months and I doubt he would have improved you. Interesting appointment and could go either way. I would imagine he will be better than Clarke.

Yes as any other Gaffa would be working under the same constraints. He really has to improve the home form and the quality of play as it has been genuinely shocking at times.

Sensible in the case of Holt, superb in the case of Bertrand. Time will tell of course.

Centre Half and Creative midfielders!

It's meaning appears to be ambiguous but it's ill advised at best and anti Semitic at worst. It should be treated like any other of the cases of this nature. Appropriate suspension following investigation assuming his guilt is proven.

Either Keeper - Lowton - Vlaar - Mcauley (Okore in time) - Bertrand - Westwood - Mulumbu - Brunt - Agbonlahor - Benteke - Berahinio

8. Which side shall win the league & which three sides shall be relegated? Man City, Cardiff, Palace and any one of 7

9. What side is Paul Lambert likely to choose for our encounter? Guzan / Bacuna / Vlaar / Clarke / Bertrand / Westwood / Delph / El hamadi / Gabby / Weiman / Benteke

Big Villa win or a Narrow Albion win. If we start like you did at the Hawthorns I think we will make you pay but our home form is so bad Albion must surely fancy it. It's gonna be a cracker!

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 09:40:00 PM »
1. We deserved the points
2. Madness
3. Assess in the summer
4. Good signings
5. Nr 10
6. Don't care
7. The villa 80/81 league winning 14
8. Chelsea / Cardiff west ham WBA
9. Pass
10. 2-1 home win

Offline Sam Smith

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 09:40:33 PM »

Mediocre.

On reflection this is of course the correct answer!

I am of course quoting above but have knackered the insert quote thing!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 09:42:28 PM by Sam Smith »

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 09:47:20 PM »

We were utterly dire in the first half, but played really well in the second and fought back fantastically. All in all, I was pleased with the point.

I thought the Clarke sacking was somewhat harsh. The managerial hunt seemed a bit protracted to me too, it was almost as if the WBA hierarchy were unsure what to do once they had sacked him. As for Mel, I know nothing about him. His record in Spain isn't brilliant but I have no idea what kind of constraints he worked under there. Seeing what Spanish football experts have to say about him he actually seems to be a good appointment and something of a character. However, I'd really be going with their opinions rather than mine if I said that, considering how little I follow continental football.

I think yes. We've put in some poor performances recently but were much better on Saturday against Liverpool. I definitely think he is a step forward compared to our last manager and has performed respectably given the financial constraints in place and the level of rebuilding the club has required. If the Liverpool performance is a sign of what is to come and we finish the season strongly then he remains the right man for me.

I think the Holt signing was a bit of a WTF? moment but having actually watched him on Saturday he didn't look out of place. At the end of the day he is a short term loan to cover for Kozak who is injured and gives us another senior person in the dressing room. My only disappointment with Bertrand is that it is only a loan. He is a good, young player who will fill in in a position we have two players who are not particularly great.

Yes, I think we need at least one new midfielder to provide a better link between the mid and the strikers. A quality defensive midfielder might also be a useful addition as Westwood isn't playing as well as last season and I'm really not sure about El Ahmadi. Experience defensive cover is also a must. Vlaar is injury prone and without him we are very weak in central defence.

I really don't know the background of the gesture he made in France but if it is something offensive then he has to be punished. I mean it is not as if Anelka hasn't got a record for bad behaviour.

I don't really watch Albion too much so I'm not really sure, I'd definitely put Yacob in midfield. None of your defensive options appeal and whilst I rate James Morrison he seems too similar to Delph who is simply a better player. So it'll be mostly Villa.

Man City to win the league. West Ham, Fulham and Cardiff to go down.

Guzan

Lowton
Vlaar
Clark
Bertrand

Westwood
Sylla
Delph

Weimann
Benteke
Gabby

2-1 to us.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 10:01:19 PM by TheSandman »

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 10:19:16 PM »
Hi, folks.

1. The game at the Hawthorns finished 2-2. What was your assessment of the game? Horrible Kit you were wearing.

2. WBA recently sacked Steve Clarke and appointed Pepe Mel. What were your thoughts on Clarke's sacking and the appointment of Pepe Mel? Obviously Peel Me is not English so an obvious improvement on Steve what a stupid name Clarke

3. Paul Lambert has been receiving some criticism from supporters. Is he still the right man for AVFC? WE will see.

4. Villa have signed Grant Holt and Ryan Bertrand. What are your opinions on these additions? Holt is a substantial addition.

5. Are there any other positions which need strengthening during January? The fence around West Bromwich.

6. Anelka has been in the headlines for the wrong reasons. What have you made of the situation? Does he warrant a suspension and for how long? It was an Old Black Country gesture, like thaputapigonthawalltawatchthabandguboy

7. If you were to form a side using Albion/Villa players - what would the side be? Lakaku would be good- titter

8. Which side shall win the league & which three sides shall be relegated? Boring

9. What side is Paul Lambert likely to choose for our encounter? What is this Encounter you speak of?

10. And finally, score predictions. Have a tener on a draw.

Thank you.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal