collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Arsenal Post-Match Thread  (Read 37446 times)

Online kippaxvilla2

Re: Aston Villa v Arsenal Post-Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2014, 10:12:38 PM »
The problem is the last 15 minutes will allow the manager to say how terrific we were when for 75 minutes we were in fact garbage as usual.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2014, 10:13:08 PM »
KEA is such a pedestrian player. It's not so much that he's really bad, it's just that everything he does is in slow motion. He slows down our attacks all the time, and he hasn't got the burst of pace to keep up when a player makes a darting run. He tries to press opponents, to his credit, but when he does it looks like a cow trying to harry a leopard.

And when is Lambert going to grasp that Westwood has no clue how to track back and no defensive instinct whatsoever, and actually play a holding midfielder in the holding midfielder role?

If we are signing Holt as short term cover for Kozak, I have no problem with that. He's experienced and Lambert presumably knows how to get the best out of him. But it's the midfield that needs boosting, and not with cover, but with first teamers, because the ones we've got make me pine for Gavin McCann, and that is just plain wrong.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2014, 10:13:34 PM »
We MUST get a couple of midfielders in who will dictate play and get us on the front foot. Get them in and we will be a completely different team.

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2014, 10:13:51 PM »
We now qualify for the label "perennial relegation candidates". Sadly.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2014, 10:14:14 PM »
I don't know the answer to this one but there is probably some clued up bugger out there who could tell me...What are the chances of a home team winning if they go 1 up as opposed to going 1 down..i know Lambert thinks statistics are irrelevant but I am sure the the statistics here would make for a pretty impressive case for going 1 up

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2014, 10:14:29 PM »
5-3-2 suits us as it can allow Lowton and Luna forward with some security behind them. 4-4-2 kills us because Westwood can track back and Lowton is not a good defender.

If we want to play 3 centre backs I have no issue with it, but we need to sign another one to allow us to do so, as Baker and Vlaar putting 10 fit games together is as likely as us turning to Gr...

Anyway, Benteke confident - Villa suddenly play.

Closing down was the key though, it is not rocket science. Close down, bust a gut, get there, make damn sure!

Offline Loxton01

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2014, 10:14:50 PM »
I think the display was much better than what we have seen recently like against united palace and Swansea!

We played as a team much higher up the pitch carrying more of a threat putting Lowton in places where he could deliver a good ball!

We have to take this performance forward! Higher tempo passing forward passing quicker fullbacks bombing on!

We play much better when we get the ball forward quick!

There were positives and we need to take them and learn from it

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2014, 10:16:23 PM »
Agree with all on here. Better second half for sure but at 2-1 we still reverted to hoofing it in the air. It seems very much a designated tactic. Its snit.

Benteke played well today. Our defence is a shambles. Our midfield is powderpuff.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2014, 10:17:15 PM »
5-3-2 suits us as it can allow Lowton and Luna forward with some security behind them. 4-4-2 kills us because Westwood can track back and Lowton is not a good defender.

If we want to play 3 centre backs I have no issue with it, but we need to sign another one to allow us to do so, as Baker and Vlaar putting 10 fit games together is as likely as us turning to Gr...

Anyway, Benteke confident - Villa suddenly play.

Closing down was the key though, it is not rocket science. Close down, bust a gut, get there, make damn sure!

Don't agree at all, 5-3-2 means we sit back pretty much on the edge of the area and just give the ball back to the opposition. We only started to put any pressure on them when we had 4 in midfield.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2014, 10:17:22 PM »
When was the last time under this manager that we actually played well for 90 minutes ,time after time we only put a decent 45 minutes in

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2014, 10:18:41 PM »
We now qualify for the label "perennial relegation candidates". Sadly.

We've become Coventry City (1990-2001).  We'll have enough in the tank to stay up again, though I'm not sure how much more of this I can take.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2014, 10:19:28 PM »
Please tell me the Holt rumours are a wind-up?

We'd be a decent side with a strong midfield enforcer and somebody to help Vlaar at the back. Unlucky with injuries Iknow but there is some sort of losing mentality in this side that concerns me.

A good signing might give fans and players a lift.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2014, 10:19:47 PM »
Westwood played much better in the second half when he started making some risky passes.

Offline johnboy

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2014, 10:20:07 PM »
We may as we'll play 5.3.2 as our midfield is so so poor

Offline WestleyArmsAV

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2014, 10:21:37 PM »
We have lost narrowly to the team top of the league, who could win it.

They were by far better than us for 70minutes, but as teams we have had different agendas for some years so I'm not going to cry over them having more possession and having better players - we actually had more shots on target for the stats fanatics.

A plus that Benteke scored, will not surprised if he goes and a scoring run now.

UTV and can't wait for the trip to Anfield.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal