collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Arsenal Post-Match Thread  (Read 37447 times)

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
Re: Aston Villa v Arsenal Post-Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 10:05:19 PM »
20 minutes doesn't make up for the months of dross that has gone beforehand.

It's a start.

And Grant Holt isn't the answer to anything, ever.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 10:05:27 PM »
Suarez  v  our defence..only one outcome

Offline glasses

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 10:05:41 PM »
Benteke scoring is a massive plus. Get him confident, we'll be better for it. Be nice if we buy some players to consistently supply him with chances.

We got in their faces but was too little too late. Naivety to go 2 down so quickly

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 10:06:24 PM »

Oh, come on. Think positively = he could be injured in training.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 10:06:28 PM »
We have to have a go at teams at home and hopefully Lambert realises that now. We weren't great in the second half, but part of Arsenal dropping off was because we pressed them and tried to show a bit of ambition.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 10:07:31 PM »
Some excitement at last!!!!

Buy a midfielder,  a bloody good one and the picture changes dramatically.

Offline gervilla

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 10:07:56 PM »
Too many average, no wait, below average players is our problem.
Spend,spend,spend.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 10:08:05 PM »
there's no reason why this kind of performance needed to start in 60th minute. When you give everything and try to win and pass the ball then against any opposition you give yourself a chance. Had we played like that against Palace or Fulham we'd have won those games. Football is a difficult enough game without the tactics being employed making it more difficult than it needs to be.

I'm glad we proved to ourselves that we can play this way, but then again it was similar against Everton and we have fallen away. It shouldn't take a massive bollocking at HT or to be 2-0 down to be playing this way. It makes me angry just thinking of the wasted opportunities this season.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 10:08:22 PM »

I'll put my winnings + my stake from today all on a Liverpool win. Sturridge is some player too.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2014, 10:09:34 PM »
there's no reason why this kind of performance needed to start in 60th minute. When you give everything and try to win and pass the ball then against any opposition you give yourself a chance. Had we played like that against Palace or Fulham we'd have won those games. Football is a difficult enough game without the tactics being employed making it more difficult than it needs to be.

I'm glad we proved to ourselves that we can play this way, but then again it was similar against Everton and we have fallen away. It shouldn't take a massive bollocking at HT or to be 2-0 down to be playing this way. It makes me angry just thinking of the wasted opportunities this season.

Agreed our defeatist tactics have really fucked us since Everton.

Offline paulcomben

• GM : Oct, 2013
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 10:10:26 PM »
Went down battling and a goal for the Beast. Probably about as good as we would have expected. Beating the teams below us is key, as in the old cliche. (Bit worried that Baker is made of glass.)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2014, 10:10:26 PM »
Wring tactics from the start was our downfall. They play one up front, so why do we play 5 at the back.

Except they didn't score during that time, only once we'd changed formation.

That goal and the determination the whole lot of them showed towards the end means they have got a bit of fight and I feel positive that with a couple of players we'll keep progressing.

Offline supertom

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2014, 10:10:32 PM »
Fairly decent last 30 in terms of intent and desire. Still poor quality. The main positive is Benteke now looking like a player again. Hopefully he goes on a scoring run again because we need him to hit form.

Arsenal really let the ball drop. They should have had the game well and truly killed off. It's a habit they've had for 10 years now, and have appeared to be improving on it this season, but they don't want to slip back into old ways if they still want the title.

If there's one thing I learned from this game, more so than anything else, it's that Ozil has a really punchable face. Possibly almost more so than Wilshere. That prick was just really winding me up all game. He's also taking perhaps more credit than he's due for Arsenal being genuine contenders this season. He's been good, but not great and hasn't found a great deal of consistency for a 40 mill player.

Offline baddowvillans

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »
"Hopefully Lambert realises that now".  Oh please.  The man remains clueless and is only in a job because no one else would sell their principles as he is prepared to.  At least we are away at the weekend!  Was better second half but like the Newcastle game last year we shouldn't need ripping apart before we try and compete.

Offline dekko

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2014, 10:11:13 PM »
Press high up the pitch, get in their faces, force mistakes - basically play with a bit of bottle and desire and we give ourselves a fighting chance against anyone.

Lets try it from the first minute rather than the 60th, ok villa?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal