collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Robin Olsen by Neil Hawkes
[Today at 11:57:36 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by martin o`who??
[Today at 11:57:15 AM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by LeeB
[Today at 11:49:39 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:43:43 AM]

Champions League Contention by Astnor
[Today at 11:38:10 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Mister E
[Today at 11:34:56 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by Nev
[Today at 11:16:38 AM]

Ollie Watkins by andyh
[Today at 10:53:07 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sunderland v Aston Villa Match Thread  (Read 61821 times)

Offline eastie

Re: Sunderland v Aston Villa Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 02:14:00 PM »
Huge boost to have Vlaar back and benteke - massive lift - bacuna in midfield will be interesting - worried about luna at left back and Weimann is very lucky to keep his place .

It really is an enormous lift though to see Vlaar and benteke play.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 02:14:51 PM »
I didn't expect to see those two in the team.

I hope they are both fit

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 02:17:30 PM »
Happy New Year everyone!! Let's hope we are not rushing these two back as much as we absolutely need them. Here's to a successful day and my sincere best wishes to all of brothers and sisters at H&V for 2014.

Offline supertom

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 02:18:11 PM »
I've never really seen the fuss about Weimann to be honest. Had we stuck it out with Delfouneso as much as we have with Andi, we might have a better player on our hands. I think Fonzie had more natural ability, but Weimann has the right attitude and work-rate.

I certainly don't think Weimann is worthy of all the fuss that happened in the summer regarding him signing a new deal. He's probably getting paid very good money at the moment. But the fact is he's a player who should be a bit fitter, and his touch is pretty poor.

He's been held back a lot though, by being played as a right sided forward, as opposed to up through the middle. He's an out and out CF. How good potentially, who knows? As a wide player he'll only ever be mediocre.

Right now he does need a rest though. But I suspect a large part of his inclusion is that we're getting by mostly on work-rate at the moment, and he'll offer that.

Offline eastie

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 02:18:38 PM »
Happy New Year everyone!! Let's hope we are not rushing these two back as much as we absolutely need them. Here's to a successful day and my sincere best wishes to all of brothers and sisters at H&V for 2014.

And the same to you Toronto - lets hope we can get off to a winning start.

Offline hartman_1982

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 02:19:59 PM »
I've never really seen the fuss about Weimann to be honest. Had we stuck it out with Delfouneso as much as we have with Andi, we might have a better player on our hands. I think Fonzie had more natural ability, but Weimann has the right attitude and work-rate.

I certainly don't think Weimann is worthy of all the fuss that happened in the summer regarding him signing a new deal. He's probably getting paid very good money at the moment. But the fact is he's a player who should be a bit fitter, and his touch is pretty poor.

He's been held back a lot though, by being played as a right sided forward, as opposed to up through the middle. He's an out and out CF. How good potentially, who knows? As a wide player he'll only ever be mediocre.

Right now he does need a rest though. But I suspect a large part of his inclusion is that we're getting by mostly on work-rate at the moment, and he'll offer that.

How can a player who needs to be a bit fitter get in the team on his work rate?

Online ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 02:20:03 PM »
Gardner needs a loan away to get fit properly and test his fitness. 2 months in the Championship would be ideal.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 02:20:41 PM »

And the same to you Toronto - lets hope we can get off to a winning start.

thank you sir, best wishes

Offline eastie

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2014, 02:21:52 PM »
Gardner needs a loan away to get fit properly and test his fitness. 2 months in the Championship would be ideal.

I think this is the final year of this contract so the next few months will be huge as to whether he gets another deal - its a shame he has suffered such injuries .

Offline BoskoDjembaSalifou

• BoskoDjembaSalifou
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014, 02:22:27 PM »

Agree with most of that. Not sure about Delfouneso though, just don't think it ever would've happened for him here.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2014, 02:24:49 PM »
Weimann starting.

Offline eastie

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2014, 02:25:25 PM »
Pleased to see donacien on the bench today too.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2014, 02:26:01 PM »
Let's hope vlaar and benteke are genuinely fit

It's actually my strongest side bar Clark in for baker. But that's on paper and plenty of players are out of form and potentially not fit

But if they are, and looking at the Sunderland back line - Roberge and diakite at centre back - and I'm optimistic we can win this . .

Offline eastie

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2014, 02:27:42 PM »
@SAFCofficial: #safc team to play @AVFCOfficial: Mannone, Celustka, Bardsley, Diakite, Roberge, Cattermole (C), Ki, Colback, Ji, Giaccherini, Fletcher.

Online eric woolban woolban

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2014, 02:27:45 PM »
We need to go out all guns blazing at Sunderland and quieten the hone crowd.

Get ourselves into an unassailable lead and bring Benteke off after 60.

We'll then have just under two weeks to get Vlaar and Benteke in shape for Arsenal.

UTV I'm feeling surprisingly optimistic.  0-3. Come on you lions!!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal