collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:22:39 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:21:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 04:20:20 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 04:19:54 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 04:18:27 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 04:17:54 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 04:17:30 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Footy-Vill
[Today at 04:16:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dwight Yorke.  (Read 32433 times)

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

Re: Dwight Yorke.
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2013, 05:19:48 PM »
'One day I will come back and manage the football club '- thanks for the offer but no thanks !
Its a decent write up but I'm not sure I'd agree that he's one of the greatest players in villa history , he was a class player for us but I've seen many better.

Since I've been going (roughly 94/95), Dwight Yorke has been by far the best player at the club that I have seen.

Surely your not including mcgrath there who was by far the best I've seen in 36 years of watching villa.

I am. McGrath was at the end of his Villa career when I started going, so I never got to really see how great he was.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »
'One day I will come back and manage the football club '- thanks for the offer but no thanks !
Its a decent write up but I'm not sure I'd agree that he's one of the greatest players in villa history , he was a class player for us but I've seen many better.

Since I've been going (roughly 94/95), Dwight Yorke has been by far the best player at the club that I have seen.

Surely your not including mcgrath there who was by far the best I've seen in 36 years of watching villa.

I am. McGrath was at the end of his Villa career when I started going, so I never got to really see how great he was.

certainly depending on how much you watched us and specifically when you could vertainly make a case for Dwight being spoken of in those terms. McGrath is Villa royalty, but Dwight isn't too far off in terms of the time he spent with us and what he was able to do in that time.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2013, 05:45:37 PM »
How many other times have we sold a player who went on to improve one of the best teams in the world? Never in my lifetime and I can't think of any before then. That's how good he was.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2013, 05:56:43 PM »
Great player for us, and I can't really blame him for leaving. How many players would turn down the best team in the country? Not many. He totally justified his leaving with what he achieved at Man Utd.
I remember him getting some quite disgusting abuse on one of his returns to Villa Park when fans sung about his relationship with Jordan and his handicapped son. Not one of our finest days.
Terrific player who I'll always have fond memories of, and I'm just glad he played for the Villa.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2013, 06:02:02 PM »
Great player for us, and I can't really blame him for leaving. How many players would turn down the best team in the country? Not many. He totally justified his leaving with what he achieved at Man Utd.
I remember him getting some quite disgusting abuse on one of his returns to Villa Park when fans sung about his relationship with Jordan and his handicapped son. Not one of our finest days.
Terrific player who I'll always have fond memories of, and I'm just glad he played for the Villa.

well put SH. A lot of stuff was horrendous being chanted about him and his son. Not just from our fans mind you but made all the more sad given what he did for us. That video of Big Ron singing It's Up to You Dwight Yorke and his massive cheesy grin is still one of my favourite moments. We just seemed so much happier back then and for a short while under Big Ron magnficent to watch. Cries

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2013, 06:07:45 PM »
One of the few truly world class players i've seen play for us in about 37 years. The other two being Platt and McGrath. Many others were just a slight level below, Sid, Laursen etc.

His actions after leaving us left a sour taste, but fuck me, when his song was being belted out it was something special. No other players song has ever felt like it was sung that loud or that often. If that makes sense.
As above. Absolutely fantastic player for us. When he left it was devastating as he was not just brilliant but he could create such an atmosphere in the ground by a moment of magic.

Although when he left and helped turn Manchester Utd into European Champions it didn't bother me, I was proud for him. I wish he never kissed the badge, but sod it he must have been in some special place in his life after the upbringing he came from. I can forgive him for that.

Offline class_of_82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2013, 06:15:02 PM »
Met Dwight yorke at Barbados airport in 2008 told him I hated him for leaving villa not because he went to manure but because I couldn't sing the Dwight yorke song again. He said you can't describe how I felt when the Holte sung that song. Class player who would not of looked out of place in any team in the world. He has to be included in the list of all time villa greats no matter what gripes anyone has about him. Still have that chipped penalty against Sheffield utd in my mind which has been copied by all but for me yorke put his patent on that. "Start spreading the news he's playing today we gonna see a goal from him" think you know the rest

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2013, 06:16:46 PM »
I'm pretty sure Panenka (sp?) has the patent on chipped pens.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2013, 06:25:39 PM »
I'm pretty sure Panenka (sp?) has the patent on chipped pens.

Fuck Panenka. It's the Yorke and always will be :)

Online ez

« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2013, 06:27:01 PM »
Does he say these nice things in his book?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2013, 06:29:32 PM »
I always remember being at St James' Park on a Monday night when he took the Gerdies on by himself and was robbed of a 4th by poor decision from the linesman.

A world class player.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2013, 06:30:32 PM »
We lost that fucking game as well.

Offline eastie

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2013, 06:32:05 PM »
I always remember being at St James' Park on a Monday night when he took the Gerdies on by himself and was robbed of a 4th by poor decision from the linesman.

A world class player.

A rare occasion to get a hat trick and lose the game - one of his best games in a villa shirt that night.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2013, 06:33:34 PM »
People are right about him not being rated as highly for us as he should have been as well.

The year he went and the rumours were doing the rounds in advance as he had been tapped up.

Playing Summer skittles and have some plastic Manc moaning about what they were willing to pay for him. "What will he add to the team?" He cried.

I explained that after a season they would think him worth double what we were asking.

He did.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2013, 06:35:02 PM »
Though it took him a fair while to produce his best, he was a top quality player by the time he moved on.  Had it all as a forward really and although I couldn't blame him for wanting to leave, I still think the price we got for him was way too low.

As good as he was, I'd still have McGrath, Cowans and Platt above him.   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal