collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Skerra
[Today at 08:33:49 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by dave.woodhall
[Today at 08:33:32 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Goldenballs
[Today at 08:31:36 PM]

Re: GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by ldavfc4eva
[Today at 08:30:59 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by SaddVillan
[Today at 08:30:46 PM]

Re: VAR by Somniloquism
[Today at 08:27:52 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by KevinGage
[Today at 08:27:07 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by PaulWinch again
[Today at 08:23:45 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alan McCafu  (Read 279923 times)

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Alan Hutton - new three year contract signed
« Reply #540 on: September 16, 2014, 08:37:42 PM »
Which Circle of Hell are we in now?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #541 on: September 16, 2014, 08:41:29 PM »
Which Circle of Hell are we in now?

2nd.

(lust, grrr)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #542 on: September 16, 2014, 08:44:33 PM »
I don't think Faulkener had much influence on playing matters, I know he's become a bit of a scapegoat
But Lamberts his own man, he would not be dictated to by a CEO about who to play and who not to, I am pretty sure of that,

But Lambert hinted at the fact from the word go that the Hutton "situation" was down to money.  Why would a manager like Lambert, or any other manager come to that, just ostracise a player like Hutton before he'd even seen him play?

Whoever did have the idea, it was utterly baffling, and made sense on no level whatsoever.

He didn't even just hint at it, he came out and said quite clearly that that was what it was about.

I don't imagine for a second that was a decision the manager made, it will have been passed down.

It's great that we've got him playing again and that he's doing well so far, but it makes you wonder, what kind of management fuckwittery was it that meant we paid his wages for almost the entirety of two years and just left him training with the kids that whole time.

The entire bomb squad thing was just beyond idiotic.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #543 on: September 16, 2014, 08:46:40 PM »

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #544 on: September 16, 2014, 08:48:13 PM »
The bit I never got was if you've got to pay the wages anyway may aswell have at least played the players or had them as an option. To castigate the likes of Hutton Zog and given for a year was non sensical.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #545 on: September 16, 2014, 08:55:22 PM »
It's mad, isn't it? There must have been something quite major going on behind the scenes.

I reckon Randy has said PL needs to reinstate the bomb squad and bury the hatchet particularly with the likes of Hutton. He has done so, and so far, its worked a treat.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #546 on: September 16, 2014, 08:56:59 PM »
The strategy is based on them not getting appearance money and they get so pissed off they leave.

This strategy was first tested with Bogardt at Chelsea who could be seen by his team mates walking his dog around Imperial College sports ground whilst they were running around getting fit.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #547 on: September 16, 2014, 09:00:39 PM »
Whether it was Lerner, Faulkner or Lambert or an agreement between any combination of them it didn't make sense either financially or from a football point of view. To be fair we don't know exactly how much money we saved from loaning Given, Hutton and Bent out for spells or the loan fees involved, but surely having them as part of the squad whilst having them available for transfer would have aided the team in the short term and been more financially beneficial in the long term by them possibly getting a permanent move and us getting the transfer fees. Wolves have been doing the same for the last year or so. But they are paying Roger Johnson without even considering him for selection, O'Hara left by mutual consent which I doubt he would have done without getting some or all of his contract paid up and Kenny Jackett was complaining about their lack of goals. But they let Kevin Doyle go out to Palace on loan without him ever being considered as a possibility this season.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #548 on: September 16, 2014, 09:02:10 PM »
The bit I never got was if you've got to pay the wages anyway may aswell have at least played the players or had them as an option. To castigate the likes of Hutton Zog and given for a year was non sensical.

I don't know about N'Zogbia as he was injured anyway, but yes, I agree.

All clubs have players they want rid of. Not many of them refuse to pick them and just leave them training with the kids. I'm not sure how that was ever expected to work, to be honest.

Borrini at Liverpool, for example, told explicity by Rodgers that he won't be part of his plans. I note he came on on Saturday.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #549 on: September 16, 2014, 09:02:35 PM »
Whether it was Lerner, Faulkner or Lambert or an agreement between any combination of them it didn't make sense either financially or from a football point of view. To be fair we don't know exactly how much money we saved from loaning Given, Hutton and Bent out for spells or the loan fees involved, but surely having them as part of the squad whilst having them available for transfer would have aided the team in the short term and been more financially beneficial in the long term by them possibly getting a permanent move and us getting the transfer fees. Wolves have been doing the same for the last year or so. But they are paying Roger Johnson without even considering him for selection, O'Hara left by mutual consent which I doubt he would have done without getting some or all of his contract paid up and Kenny Jackett was complaining about their lack of goals. But they let Kevin Doyle go out to Palace on loan without him ever being considered as a possibility this season.
Who are these Wolves people you speak of?

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #550 on: September 16, 2014, 09:03:30 PM »

This.
When the team was struggling so obviously last season, it was irresponsible of the decision-makers to ignore the experience of the bomb-squadders,

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #551 on: September 16, 2014, 09:04:05 PM »
But appearance money will only be a fraction of their wages... and they are all back in the first team squad now. It would be good to have some answers.

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #552 on: September 16, 2014, 09:09:48 PM »
I don't think Faulkener had much influence on playing matters, I know he's become a bit of a scapegoat
But Lamberts his own man, he would not be dictated to by a CEO about who to play and who not to, I am pretty sure of that,

But Lambert hinted at the fact from the word go that the Hutton "situation" was down to money.  Why would a manager like Lambert, or any other manager come to that, just ostracise a player like Hutton before he'd even seen him play?

Whoever did have the idea, it was utterly baffling, and made sense on no level whatsoever.

He didn't even just hint at it, he came out and said quite clearly that that was what it was about.

I don't imagine for a second that was a decision the manager made, it will have been passed down.

It's great that we've got him playing again and that he's doing well so far, but it makes you wonder, what kind of management fuckwittery was it that meant we paid his wages for almost the entirety of two years and just left him training with the kids that whole time.

Is it just a coincidence that the bomb squad has been rehabilitated now that Faulkner has gone?

As to the motive, was it simply to reduce the wage bill? Sounds barmy since when selling something it's always a good idea to put your goods in the shop window, not hide them away out of sight and out of mind.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #553 on: September 16, 2014, 09:11:04 PM »
The strategy is based on them not getting appearance money and they get so pissed off they leave.

This strategy was first tested with Bogardt at Chelsea who could be seen by his team mates walking his dog around Imperial College sports ground whilst they were running around getting fit.

I think there was definitely a freeze them out so they will even drop a division and take a pay cut just to play football again plan involved. Which was as 100% foolproof as a Baldrick cunning plan.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #554 on: September 16, 2014, 09:12:31 PM »
We're all talking about Hutton, but the case of Given is even more weird.

From the bomb squad and number three goalkeeper, then briefly on the bench as a member of the coaching team, now last season's number two keeper, Steer, is off on loan and Given is back to being our number two.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal