collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alan McCafu  (Read 279905 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Alan Hutton
« Reply #465 on: August 26, 2014, 04:56:29 PM »
Ah yes     I see it now....call for the code breakers at Bletchley ...we may have a mole here
This was a 'laugh out loud' post!
Thanks, OTN.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #466 on: September 05, 2014, 08:04:06 AM »
So, assuming he keeps up this level of performance - at what point (if any) do we think about offering him a new contract?

Offline sid1964

« Reply #467 on: September 05, 2014, 08:13:05 AM »
So after 3 half decent games, we should now offer the clogger a new contract! - lets wait until the end of the season before deciding, I cant imagine a queue of clubs wanting his signature  (none have so far)

For me he is average at best, against Hull he got the ball with space in front of him to run into and decided to slow down the attack and pass the ball sideways.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #468 on: September 05, 2014, 08:26:15 AM »
 He hasn't, however, committed a massive scything challenge that threatens to break an opponent's legs, nor attempted a cheeky handball inside the penalty area.  Defensively he has been much more solid than Lowton or Bacuna were last season, which is the primary function of a defender after all.  I'm hoping that the last 2 years have been a wake up call to him, I don't blindly believe that he has become the answer to all our problems, but if he maintains this level of performance he will certainly be a useful player for us.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #469 on: September 05, 2014, 09:00:46 AM »
Agreed, his game has improved, and he is certainly a better option than we have had for the last few years. where we are now Alan is good enough.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #470 on: September 05, 2014, 09:23:37 AM »
I never thought he was as bad as a lot of people on here made out. Neither do I think he's good enough to think about offering a new deal yet. If we do, he'd realistically be taking a big pay-cut.
Anyway, he's playing for one last decent deal before he retires so at least the onus is on him to do his best every week.

Offline peter w

« Reply #471 on: September 05, 2014, 11:02:11 AM »
So, assuming he keeps up this level of performance - at what point (if any) do we think about offering him a new contract?

Still not sure that I would. Only 3 games in and defensively he has been sound but hasn't been an option going forward and has at times slowed up play by not linking down the right well enough. Pleased for the upturn in form but I still hope to see a new right-back next season at this point.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #472 on: September 15, 2014, 01:51:15 PM »
I'd offer him a 2year extension on drastically reduced wages. He has been superb, what would we have to lose?

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #473 on: September 15, 2014, 01:59:45 PM »
Yes I am sure that conversation will go down well.

Lambert-"Hey Alan here's a deal you can't refuse. I know you have been brilliant this season so far and arguably amongst the best full backs in the PL. I know we have also royally fucked you around for the last two years and you've remained professional about it. How about sticking around for another two seasons and taking a 50% pay cut?"

Hutton - silence, click

Lambert - "Alan...Alan..."

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #474 on: September 15, 2014, 01:59:57 PM »
I agree with Peter.

We could barely give him away for the last couple of years, so I can't imagine the world will be beating a path to his door in January. I reckon around then if he's keeping up this level of form then we offer either a 12 month or a 24 month extension.

If then choose not to (or we do and he decides not to sign), then he'd leave with my best wishes.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #475 on: September 15, 2014, 02:48:57 PM »

Lambert-"Hey Alan here's a deal you can't refuse. I know you have been brilliant this season so far and arguably amongst the best full backs in the PL. I know we have also royally fucked you around for the last two years and you've remained professional about it. How about sticking around for another two seasons and taking a 50% pay cut?"

Hutton - silence, click

I agree with you on that, but would flag up that being great for four games is one thing, let's see how things pan out for a bit longer before deciding he's really the Scottish Cafu**

** I know you're not implying he is that good, I just like saying "The Scottish Cafu"

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #476 on: September 15, 2014, 03:29:58 PM »

Hutton - silence, click

I agree with you on that, but would flag up that being great for four games is one thing, let's see how things pan out for a bit longer before deciding he's really the Scottish Cafu**

** I know you're not implying he is that good, I just like saying "The Scottish Cafu"

Surely the time to move him on, is when we have a better replacement.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #477 on: September 15, 2014, 04:17:59 PM »

Hutton - silence, click

I don't think it's that simple. He's out of contract at the end of this season, so it'll be a "keep him or let him go" decision of some sort.

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #478 on: September 15, 2014, 05:00:10 PM »

Hutton - silence, click

I don't think it's that simple. He's out of contract at the end of this season, so it'll be a "keep him or let him go" decision of some sort.

At least it'll be our choice to offer a new contract or look for better.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #479 on: September 16, 2014, 03:03:25 PM »
3 year contract signed!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal