collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alan McCafu  (Read 279942 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Alan Hutton
« Reply #300 on: July 27, 2014, 02:56:30 PM »
I thought Crouch's Villa Park debut was right up there with the best debut performances we have seen. If I remember right it was against Newcastle and they couldn't handle him. I never understood how he wasn't given more chances after his loan spell at Norwich where he appeared to get his form and confidence back. Again, if my memory isn't playing tricks on me I recall him putting in a very good performance in the second leg of the semi against Bolton.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #301 on: July 27, 2014, 03:02:11 PM »
I thought Crouch's Villa Park debut was right up there with the best debut performances we have seen. If I remember right it was against Newcastle and they couldn't handle him. I never understood how he wasn't given more chances after his loan spell at Norwich where he appeared to get his form and confidence back. Again, if my memory isn't playing tricks on me I recall him putting in a very good performance in the second leg of the semi against Bolton.

He was ace when he came back from Norwich, but it coincided with Angel's best form for us, and his chances were limited. We were penniless at the time, and my guess is we were due to pay more to Pompey if he played much more so we took the bid off Southampton.

With hindsight, we'd have kept him and flogged Angel whilst his stock was high.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #302 on: July 27, 2014, 03:14:56 PM »
Petrov was a pretty decent debut from what i remember too.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #303 on: July 27, 2014, 03:19:23 PM »
Surely Dion Dublin had the best debut for Villa in the last 20-25years, and followed it up over the next few as well (was it 7 in his first 4 starts?).

Online walsall villain

« Reply #304 on: July 27, 2014, 03:21:55 PM »

He was ace when he came back from Norwich, but it coincided with Angel's best form for us, and his chances were limited. We were penniless at the time, and my guess is we were due to pay more to Pompey if he played much more so we took the bid off Southampton.

With hindsight, we'd have kept him and flogged Angel whilst his stock was high.
We were penniless at the time? Compared to now we were rolling in it.

Offline BoskoDjembaSalifou

• BoskoDjembaSalifou
« Reply #305 on: July 27, 2014, 03:45:22 PM »
2. There is a touch of the Darren Bent's about him. That is, he can be quiet and seemingly no threat in the game.  He isn't particularly quick, and for his size, he doesn't throw his weight around or win enough flick ons.   If he isn't scoring, he isn't really doing much else.

Pretty much why I don't like him.

As for Hutton, get him in the team vs Stoke. He had one bad season under McLeish, but who didn't? He's currently our best option at RB.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #306 on: July 27, 2014, 04:03:41 PM »
I'd play Hutton v Stoke for sure. Never rated Lowton defensively , far too easily rolled off the ball. Our major concern will be LB though , who on earth is playing there ? KR ? Has he played there in any of the 3 friendlies so far ?

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #307 on: July 27, 2014, 04:20:33 PM »
Carbone's debut at home to Wimbledon was total class also.
Remember coming away from that game thinking that we had a real talent on our hands

Offline Damo70

« Reply #308 on: July 27, 2014, 04:48:50 PM »
One of the most underrated debuts for me was Steve McMahon against Albion in the 4-3. It was a 'covered every blade of grass on the pitch' performance. In fact because he was only with us for two seasons and they were hardly great seasons I think he is one of the most underrated Villa players. We could do with someone like him in the side now. Hard as nails and could score a few from long range. I must add though that I met him at a Swindon Town awards night when he was manager and my ex fiance had a brother who was a youngster a the club. He was a a bit of a misery arse and I did't detect any enthusiasm from him regarding his time at the Villa.

Even though we lost, after David Platt's debut at Blackburn I tipped him to be an England player one day. Although I went to a Blackpool v Walsall match with a couple of mates whilst on a weekend in Blackpool years back and said the same about a bloke called Alex Dyer so I can't quite claim to be a 'superscout'.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #309 on: July 27, 2014, 04:58:01 PM »
He's comfortably looked the better of the right full back options. If he continues in this form then Lowton's mrs is going to be less than pleased.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #310 on: July 27, 2014, 05:07:21 PM »
He's comfortably looked the better of the right full back options. If he continues in this form then Lowton's mrs is going to be less than pleased.

Serves her right for not moving house. Do these people not understand that this is a local club for local people? (Adopts a sinister comedic look that is totally wasted as nobody can see it).

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #311 on: July 27, 2014, 07:21:53 PM »

I genuinely don't know what people dislike about Kozak.

He came in, he scored a few goals, he got injured. Lots of people seem to forget the "scoring a few goals" thing.

I really rate Kozak. When he plays he is just a colossal Czech pain in the arse to the opposition. He has that gift of "right place" but doesn't get it by picking nice runs or good positioning, he gets there by scrapping for every chance and is willing to put his face in front of a boot to score.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #312 on: July 27, 2014, 08:41:25 PM »
Re Hutton, I'm not surprised that he looks better than Lowton and other options: he is, after all, an experienced international fullback. Lowton, meantime, was a promising FB who spent most of last season - a key season in his development - arguing with the club about stuff.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #313 on: July 27, 2014, 08:43:07 PM »
I think Hutton was given a tough time as bought by McLeish, I think he is a decent player tbh, certainly a good defender

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #314 on: July 27, 2014, 08:48:29 PM »
I think Hutton was given a tough time as bought by McLeish, I think he is a decent player tbh, certainly a good defender

He was given a tough time because he looked poor whenever he played.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal