collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: VAR by Somniloquism
[Today at 08:27:52 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by KevinGage
[Today at 08:27:07 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by PaulWinch again
[Today at 08:23:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 08:23:39 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PaulWinch again
[Today at 08:20:07 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by jon collett
[Today at 08:19:03 PM]

Re: Bristol Villa fans by The Edge
[Today at 08:17:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Goldenballs
[Today at 08:15:59 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alan McCafu  (Read 279917 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Alan Hutton
« Reply #270 on: July 20, 2014, 02:01:03 AM »
The thing I worry about with Lowton is that he's just not very good.

In the last third of his first season, we got a bit carried away, what with that goal at Stoke and what not, but the rest of that season, people were pretty unconvinced by him.

He can be decent going forward despite his manifest lack of pace, and he has a good right foot. He also has a good football brain in that he knows how to attack space and change the direction of play. 

All opposition teams are now well aware that he can be skinned if they have a decent wide player with a bit of pace that can use both feet. Ditto Luna/Bennett. In fact, there have been many games, particularly at home, where you could predict the result very early on in proceedings based on how the opposition were exploiting this weakness.   

As with Baker, you could argue there should be better midfield support.

Agree with that and it's why I'd be interested to see him in a more advanced wing-back role, where he wasn't defensively isolated as much.  As for the last sentence about Baker, he could have Claude Makele and Roy Keane in front of him and he'd still be making the same mistakes!!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 02:04:51 AM by tomd2103 »

Offline bobdylan

« Reply #271 on: July 20, 2014, 06:49:21 AM »
Lowton puts some wonderful crosses in for the forwards, especially the beast, for me it's a tough call between him and Bacuna for the right wing back role, I'd only consider Hutton as part of a back four, and in this system I'd have him at right back over Lowton and Bacuna.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #272 on: July 20, 2014, 03:16:25 PM »
I think at this point Lambert is desparate to retain some experience and that is part of his thinking behind keeping the likes of Hutton, CZ, and Bent.  I am quite pleased with the full back positions.  Lowton has a lot of promise for me, and could turn out to be one of the better young prospects, Luna faded after a good start last time, but I think he deserves a chance to prove himself.   The centre back area is a bit more of a concern for me.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #273 on: July 22, 2014, 12:16:08 AM »
Why would Hutton or any of the bomb squad try a leg for Villa after Lambert bombed them out of the squad last term? Lambert effectively humiliated them and now it's all a clean slate!! It's not going to end well methinks. Hutton is a terrible player aswell mind you

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #274 on: July 22, 2014, 12:22:13 AM »
They're all on good money, so I don't think it's too much to ask to put a bit of effort in.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #275 on: July 22, 2014, 08:04:59 AM »
Why would Hutton or any of the bomb squad try a leg for Villa after Lambert bombed them out of the squad last term?
Because all of them are effectively playing for one last decent contract before the tail-end of their careers.

If Hutton or Bent have a solid year than they'll probably get a two year deal at somewhere like Stoke or West Brom. If they don't, they'll be looking at 12 month contracts at Wolves or Bolton.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #276 on: July 22, 2014, 08:24:38 AM »
Why would Hutton or any of the bomb squad try a leg for Villa after Lambert bombed them out of the squad last term? Lambert effectively humiliated them and now it's all a clean slate!! It's not going to end well methinks. Hutton is a terrible player aswell mind you

You can question their ability as everyone has an opinion but I don't think in either players case they can be accused of a lack of effort. For me both players are more likely the type to want to prove Lambert wrong.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #277 on: July 22, 2014, 09:05:25 AM »
Why would Hutton or any of the bomb squad try a leg for Villa after Lambert bombed them out of the squad last term?
Because all of them are effectively playing for one last decent contract before the tail-end of their careers.

If Hutton or Bent have a solid year than they'll probably get a two year deal at somewhere like Stoke or West Brom. If they don't, they'll be looking at 12 month contracts at Wolves or Bolton.

Couldn't you also have said that about Bent at Fulham last season, though? I mean that there was a clear incentive for him to do well there?

From what I saw, he looked like one of the most uninvolved and unbothered players I saw in the premier league last season.

Offline bobdylan

« Reply #278 on: July 22, 2014, 10:31:37 AM »

Couldn't you also have said that about Bent at Fulham last season, though? I mean that there was a clear incentive for him to do well there?

From what I saw, he looked like one of the most uninvolved and unbothered players I saw in the premier league last season.

He still comfortably outscored Gabby though even as a bit part player for a relegated side.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #279 on: July 22, 2014, 11:38:40 AM »

He still comfortably outscored Gabby though even as a bit part player for a relegated side.

Gabby 4 league goals, Bent 3.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #280 on: July 22, 2014, 11:39:33 AM »

I'm not sure that really means much, though.

Gabby got four in all competitions, Bent got six. Crap from both of them.

Offline bobdylan

« Reply #281 on: July 22, 2014, 12:19:30 PM »

Yer cup goals don't count, Withey didn't really score in Rotterdam it was all a dream.

Offline supertom

« Reply #282 on: July 22, 2014, 12:54:48 PM »
Bent in fairness to him didn't have a proper pre-season last year. He was pretty slow off the blocks for Fulham because he wasn't match fit and a few niggles in addition throughout the season, meant he never really got into full swing. He's never gonna set the world alight with his work-rate anyway. I don't think we particularly did him any favours by ostracising him last summer though.

I'll judge him by what he does in our shirt and hope that a good pre-season and a good run without injury will see him have a reasonable season for us. The Mansfield game for one, saw a Darren Bent who showed more than enough desire and will to impress. I don't see him shirking this season. After all, in a years time he'll be moving on a bosman. If he bangs in 10+ goals, he'll have ample takes in a years time.

One step at a time of course, but with regards to the returnees, so far, so good.

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #283 on: July 22, 2014, 01:02:54 PM »

Yer cup goals don't count, Withey didn't really score in Rotterdam it was all a dream.

What have cup games got to do with a team being relegated?

Nonetheless including cup games - Bent 6, Gabby 4.

Offline supertom

« Reply #284 on: July 22, 2014, 01:23:55 PM »

What have cup games got to do with a team being relegated?

Nonetheless including cup games - Bent 6, Gabby 4.
Minutes to goals ratio also worth considering. Bent didn't play a hell of a lot. Largely understandably to some extend of course given he looked cumbersome all season.

However on the basis of Mansfield. Gabby looked unfit, slack and a bit uninterested, whilst Bent looked up for it. Of course we can't play Mansfield every week.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal