collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Skerra
[Today at 08:33:49 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by dave.woodhall
[Today at 08:33:32 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Goldenballs
[Today at 08:31:36 PM]

Re: GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by ldavfc4eva
[Today at 08:30:59 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by SaddVillan
[Today at 08:30:46 PM]

Re: VAR by Somniloquism
[Today at 08:27:52 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by KevinGage
[Today at 08:27:07 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by PaulWinch again
[Today at 08:23:45 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alan McCafu  (Read 279922 times)

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
Re: Alan Hutton
« Reply #255 on: July 19, 2014, 05:49:46 PM »
Hutton has behaved impeccably, he's never dissed the club the manager or the fans, for this he gets some good credit

However if you were to draw  a list of worst  footballers ever to play for Villa he would be on it.
I doubt this will change in the forthcoming season

This

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #256 on: July 19, 2014, 05:51:58 PM »
He's another one who has got better the less he has played. Which says more about Lowton. Theres a good player there somewhere, just needs good coaching, something we lack and hasn't been addressed. Get out your German black book Lambert.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #257 on: July 19, 2014, 05:52:48 PM »
I'm no fan of Hutton at all really

But the fact that some people claim he's barely a footballer whilst also claiming herd can do a job for us (in midfield!!) is laughable

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #258 on: July 19, 2014, 07:58:09 PM »
He's another one who has got better the less he has played. Which says more about Lowton. Theres a good player there somewhere, just needs good coaching, something we lack and hasn't been addressed. Get out your German black book Lambert.

Hutton had a very poor season under McLeish, but Lowton and Bacuna have been as bad if not worse at times in that position in the preceding years. 

Offline garyshawsknee

« Reply #259 on: July 19, 2014, 08:16:03 PM »
Lowton started off well in his first season. Last season was awful. Bacuna isn't a full back at all,no positional sense. Still don't think Hutton is the answer.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #260 on: July 19, 2014, 08:26:35 PM »

Hutton had a very poor season under McLeish, but Lowton and Bacuna have been as bad if not worse at times in that position in the preceding years. 

There's potential in those two though with better coaching.

Hutton at 29 ain't getting any better.

Offline Quiet Lion

• GM : Feb, 2013
« Reply #261 on: July 19, 2014, 08:35:56 PM »
The sad truth for me is Hutton would have improved our team last season.

Doesn't mean he isn't shit though.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #262 on: July 19, 2014, 09:18:21 PM »
Lowton started off well in his first season. Last season was awful. Bacuna isn't a full back at all,no positional sense. Still don't think Hutton is the answer.

I don't think any of those three are the answer at right-back in all honesty.  Lowton and Bacuna may be better suited to a more advanced wing-back role though. 

Offline garyshawsknee

« Reply #263 on: July 19, 2014, 09:36:27 PM »

Sorry i worded that poorly, i was talking about Lowton. Columbus, Vasco De Gama and Francis Drake couldn't find a good player in Hutton.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #264 on: July 19, 2014, 09:50:11 PM »

Sorry i worded that poorly, i was talking about Lowton. Columbus, Vasco De Gama and Francis Drake couldn't find a good player in Hutton.

I just worry about the defensive side of Lowton's game and the fact that he isn't particularly quick means he can't make up the ground when he is beaten or caught out of position.  I think back to Mark Delaney and he was the opposite really when he arrived, defensively solid, but not so great on the ball and going forward.  I think it's easier for defenders to improve when it is that way round really.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #265 on: July 19, 2014, 11:17:26 PM »
The thing I worry about with Lowton is that he's just not very good.

In the last third of his first season, we got a bit carried away, what with that goal at Stoke and what not, but the rest of that season, people were pretty unconvinced by him.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #266 on: July 19, 2014, 11:22:49 PM »
Lowton gave the best full back performance I've ever seen from a villa player, against Sunderland. I'm not ready to give up on him yet

Online Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #267 on: July 19, 2014, 11:38:11 PM »
All clubs have players who aren't involved and are clearly up for sale, the only difference is that 1 or 2 of the players that we put in that group gave the press a nice 'bomb squad' soundbite and it's stuck.

A lot of people on here are guilty of reading everything that's reported about Villa, reading bits and pieces about other clubs and then wondering why they hear so much more bad press about Villa.

I agree about the point that we, quite naturally, tend to read way more about Villa than any other team and dissect what we read to the nth degree.

1 .I'd also agree that the bomb squad tag was a nice sound bite, originating from Hutton in an interview at the start of last season if I remember rightly.
2 .But for other clubs, perception seems to be that yes, they all have players that they want to move on for.whatever reason, but they're not totally ostracized in the way we've handled our unwanted players.
That it's public knowledge that they're training away from the first team, even before squad.numbers were announced puts us in a weak bargaining position.
Not to mention they pure waste of wages.
As poor as he is, I can't believe that there weren't times last season where we were playing a flat back 4 without Lowton, where Bacuna in front if Hutton wouldn't have been better than Bacuna getting ripped to shreds behind KEA.

As someone who agrees that we shouldn't be basing our play around Bent, again if we're going to go all gung-ho 4 up front for the last 10 minutes when trying to salvage something from a game, or whatever it is Lambert tries to do in those situations who's more likely to.convert a half chance in the box, Bent or one of Holt, Gabby or Wieman?

Ironically Ireland was just a waste of fresh air and beyond salvaging anything from, yet he was the one we managed where we at least duck some of his wages.

1. but that's not what happened, the club didn't make anything public, bannan and hutton (I think) were interviewed and announced that they and a few others (I believe they were named) were training on their own and they taken to calling themselves the bomb squad.  Before that interview I cant recall anything to suggest that was the case, just the usual 'villa are looking for offers for...' which all clubs leak every summer.

2. I'd be very surprised if there aren't players up and down the country with a whole host of clubs who are either training alone or are shunned off to one side as much as possible. The issue is that we let that soundbite go to press with nothing to counter it so it became the story of our summer and the press just ran with it.

Paul, I think we basically agree -  hopefully the highlighted bits make sense.

Everything else is recognising the weak bargaining position we ended up in and questioning how good an idea ostricising them in genreal was, regardless of it being common knowledge or not

Sorry about the quoteathon, couldn't decide how to edit it so went it all.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #268 on: July 20, 2014, 01:20:33 AM »
The thing I worry about with Lowton is that he's just not very good.

In the last third of his first season, we got a bit carried away, what with that goal at Stoke and what not, but the rest of that season, people were pretty unconvinced by him.

He can be decent going forward despite his manifest lack of pace, and he has a good right foot. He also has a good football brain in that he knows how to attack space and change the direction of play. 

All opposition teams are now well aware that he can be skinned if they have a decent wide player with a bit of pace that can use both feet. Ditto Luna/Bennett. In fact, there have been many games, particularly at home, where you could predict the result very early on in proceedings based on how the opposition were exploiting this weakness.   

As with Baker, you could argue there should be better midfield support.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #269 on: July 20, 2014, 01:24:47 AM »
Lowton gave the best full back performance I've ever seen from a villa player, against Sunderland. I'm not ready to give up on him yet

He played very well that day, and for much of that season. His decline last season was very frustrating, no doubt for him as well as us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal