collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alan McCafu  (Read 279968 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Alan Hutton
« Reply #240 on: July 19, 2014, 02:25:26 AM »
All clubs have players who aren't involved and are clearly up for sale, the only difference is that 1 or 2 of the players that we put in that group gave the press a nice 'bomb squad' soundbite and it's stuck.

A lot of people on here are guilty of reading everything that's reported about Villa, reading bits and pieces about other clubs and then wondering why they hear so much more bad press about Villa.

I agree about the point that we, quite naturally, tend to read way more about Villa than any other team and dissect what we read to the nth degree.

I'd also agree that the bomb squad tag was a nice sound bite, originating from Hutton in an interview at the start of last season if I remember rightly.

But for other clubs, perception seems to be that yes, they all have players that they want to move on for.whatever reason, but they're not totally ostracized in the way we've handled our unwanted players.

That it's public knowledge that they're training away from the first team, even before squad.numbers were announced puts us in a weak bargaining position.
Not to mention they pure waste of wages.
As poor as he is, I can't believe that there weren't times last season where we were playing a flat back 4 without Lowton, where Bacuna in front if Hutton wouldn't have been better than Bacuna getting ripped to shreds behind KEA.

As someone who agrees that we shouldn't be basing our play around Bent, again if we're going to go all gung-ho 4 up front for the last 10 minutes when trying to salvage something from a game, or whatever it is Lambert tries to do in those situations who's more likely to.convert a half chance in the box, Bent or one of Holt, Gabby or Wieman?

Ironically Ireland was just a waste of fresh air and beyond salvaging anything from, yet he was the one we managed where we at least duck some of his wages.

but that's not what happened, the club didn't make anything public, bannan and hutton (I think) were interviewed and announced that they and a few others (I believe they were named) were training on their own and they taken to calling themselves the bomb squad.  Before that interview I cant recall anything to suggest that was the case, just the usual 'villa are looking for offers for...' which all clubs leak every summer.

I'd be very surprised if there aren't players up and down the country with a whole host of clubs who are either training alone or are shunned off to one side as much as possible. The issue is that we let that soundbite go to press with nothing to counter it so it became the story of our summer and the press just ran with it.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #241 on: July 19, 2014, 08:44:34 AM »
To be fair Hutton was effectively in the bomb squad at spurs because he never got a game

Offline peter w

« Reply #242 on: July 19, 2014, 12:18:04 PM »
All clubs have players who aren't involved and are clearly up for sale, the only difference is that 1 or 2 of the players that we put in that group gave the press a nice 'bomb squad' soundbite and it's stuck.

A lot of people on here are guilty of reading everything that's reported about Villa, reading bits and pieces about other clubs and then wondering why they hear so much more bad press about Villa.

I agree about the point that we, quite naturally, tend to read way more about Villa than any other team and dissect what we read to the nth degree.

I'd also agree that the bomb squad tag was a nice sound bite, originating from Hutton in an interview at the start of last season if I remember rightly.

But for other clubs, perception seems to be that yes, they all have players that they want to move on for.whatever reason, but they're not totally ostracized in the way we've handled our unwanted players.

That it's public knowledge that they're training away from the first team, even before squad.numbers were announced puts us in a weak bargaining position.
Not to mention they pure waste of wages.
As poor as he is, I can't believe that there weren't times last season where we were playing a flat back 4 without Lowton, where Bacuna in front if Hutton wouldn't have been better than Bacuna getting ripped to shreds behind KEA.

As someone who agrees that we shouldn't be basing our play around Bent, again if we're going to go all gung-ho 4 up front for the last 10 minutes when trying to salvage something from a game, or whatever it is Lambert tries to do in those situations who's more likely to.convert a half chance in the box, Bent or one of Holt, Gabby or Wieman?

Ironically Ireland was just a waste of fresh air and beyond salvaging anything from, yet he was the one we managed where we at least duck some of his wages.

but that's not what happened, the club didn't make anything public, bannan and hutton (I think) were interviewed and announced that they and a few others (I believe they were named) were training on their own and they taken to calling themselves the bomb squad.  Before that interview I cant recall anything to suggest that was the case, just the usual 'villa are looking for offers for...' which all clubs leak every summer.

I'd be very surprised if there aren't players up and down the country with a whole host of clubs who are either training alone or are shunned off to one side as much as possible. The issue is that we let that soundbite go to press with nothing to counter it so it became the story of our summer and the press just ran with it.

Happened to me at Bromsgrove. Shoved out to train with the youth team when I was with the reserves. I was clearly head and shoulders above them and the youth coach told the reserve coach to take me back. He took me back but just ignored me and never spoke to me. Unlike the bomb squad I wasn't contracted so he won in the end and I just walked away. one of the first-team coaches new my dad and asked why he hadn't seen me for a while and my dad told him. He didn't even know what had gone on.

But, it's football. A shitty way to be treated but when you're judged on results and bringing good players into the first team sentiment goes out of the window.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #243 on: July 19, 2014, 12:42:21 PM »
Two lovely assists, or near-enough, from Hutton for Bent's goals the other night. At least he seems to be giving it a lash.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #244 on: July 19, 2014, 01:04:10 PM »
Two lovely assists, or near-enough, from Hutton for Bent's goals the other night. At least he seems to be giving it a lash.
Hutton has been the one that seems to have kept his head down and always claimed he'd like to get back into the first team reckoning, IIRC.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #245 on: July 19, 2014, 02:30:33 PM »
Meanwhile Bent seems to have taken a comfort eating approach instead.

Online edgysatsuma89

« Reply #246 on: July 19, 2014, 02:39:37 PM »
To be fair Hutton was effectively in the bomb squad at spurs because he never got a game

Maybe he just loves bombs. The thug etc.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #247 on: July 19, 2014, 03:03:42 PM »
Meanwhile Bent seems to have taken a comfort eating approach instead.

Happens just after you get married. Then reality sets in that dinner isn't guaranteed to be there when you get home, lunch is no longer made for your day ahead. You lose weight just fending for yourself.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #248 on: July 19, 2014, 03:37:24 PM »
Hutton has behaved impeccably, he's never dissed the club the manager or the fans, for this he gets some good credit

However if you were to draw  a list of worst  footballers ever to play for Villa he would be on it.
I doubt this will change in the forthcoming season

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #249 on: July 19, 2014, 03:52:12 PM »
spot on but I guess the consolation of 50k a week or thereabouts, does help to cushion the blow of rejection and partial rehabilitation

Offline Rolta

« Reply #250 on: July 19, 2014, 04:08:34 PM »
He could have left the club, but he didn't want to lower his wages. He was happy to not play and keep the money.

He's under contract for one more year, and he only wants out because he can get a longer contract elsewhere, 2 or 3 years. If Lambert wants to use him, then let him I say. I lost so much faith in Lowton last year, and I'm really unsure about Bacuna as a fullback.

Offline peter w

« Reply #251 on: July 19, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »
hutton isn't particularly good. Or at least didn't show it for us a couple of seasons ago. But at times looked decent at Tottenham and certainly has playing for Scotland recently. He's obviously being kept to play at right-back so as fans we may as well draw a line under the past and see what he can produce for us next season.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #252 on: July 19, 2014, 05:14:51 PM »
hutton isn't particularly good. Or at least didn't show it for us a couple of seasons ago. But at times looked decent at Tottenham and certainly has playing for Scotland recently. He's obviously being kept to play at right-back so as fans we may as well draw a line under the past and see what he can produce for us next season.

He looked poor when he played his season with us but I would agree it is worth giving him a chance this season. Do we know much about his form when he was out on loan?

Online N'ZMAV

« Reply #253 on: July 19, 2014, 05:17:51 PM »
Hutton isn't very good. I'm glad Bent and N'Zogbia are now included in the squad, as they have something to offer. Hutton doesn't. He's poor. We should ship him out ASAP.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #254 on: July 19, 2014, 05:34:36 PM »
we've tried and failed.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal