collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by The Edge
[Today at 07:43:43 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:39:20 PM]

Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:38:12 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by nigel
[Today at 07:34:30 PM]

Robin Olsen by VillaTim
[Today at 07:34:00 PM]

VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 07:33:20 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Smithy
[Today at 07:26:06 PM]

Crystal Palace by Fingers
[Today at 07:18:14 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Home truths  (Read 32128 times)

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Home truths
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2013, 04:57:32 PM »
Our home form has been unacceptable since 1996. I am therefore surprised that still neatly 40k turn up.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2013, 04:58:16 PM »
Spurs had a shocking record against us when I was growing up, but they were generally a bottom half team. Role reversal in every way since then.

I'd argue Man U have had a couple of bad off-days in the last couple of years. It's just that they lasted for 60 minutes and then the inevitable happened.

Offline eastie

« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2013, 05:01:27 PM »
It's also worth remembering that after THAT 3-0 win Spurs had at the beginning of 86/87 they won something like one of the next 20 odd games at VP. And only about 4 in total since 86/87.

And in the last few years they've hardly broken sweat. The top teams seem to save their best form for us.

That game where they pissed around totally outplaying  us with 10 men was really embarrassing - like a training exercise .
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 05:05:54 PM by eastie »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2013, 05:02:11 PM »
It's also worth remembering that after THAT 3-0 win Spurs had at the beginning of 86/87 they won something like one of the next 20 odd games at VP. And only about 4 in total since 86/87.

And in the last few years they've hardly broken sweat. The top teams seem to save their best form for us.

Last season is the only stroll I can think of for Spurs since 86/87. The other 3 (I think) wins they've managed in that time have all been by one. We've won a lot more at WHL in that time.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2013, 05:06:58 PM »

Last season is the only stroll I can think of for Spurs since 86/87. The other 3 (I think) wins they've managed in that time have all been by one. We've won a lot more at WHL in that time.

Their win in 2010-11 was easy enough, with us making it look a bit better with a late goal. Take Spurs out of the equation, then, and the fact remains that the consistently best teams always play well at Villa. 

Offline royvilla949

« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2013, 05:47:19 PM »
all these stats & facts is all bollocks simple truth we need a new back four

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2013, 05:51:36 PM »
Our Midfield does not look that clever either.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2013, 06:00:06 PM »
Our home form was our Achilles' heel under MON, it's true.   And we were no great shakes at VP prior to that (we were generally hard to beat, mind). 

But for the past few years it's been brutally bad.   2011/12 was the worst in our history (or close to it) as far as total wins were concerned, and PL only managed one more victory than that lame effort. 

Indifferent/ underwhelming home form as per the O'Neill, O'Leary, Gregory era would actually be welcome now, that's how pish we've been in recent years.

Online Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2013, 06:01:03 PM »
Our Midfield does not look that clever either.
A lot of teams can get their noses in front and then be reasonably adept at closing the game out under prolonged periods of pressure. If we went one up early in the game how long would you predict it would be before Brad is picking the ball out of the net? 5 mins? 10 mins? Our powderpuff defence and midfield needs organising, refreshing and some flaming man-up pills.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2013, 06:03:19 PM »
How about we pioneer the initiative of two managers? I'll go for Lambert away and Gregory home.

Online JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2013, 06:11:02 PM »
We are desperately short of an attacking midfielder who can unlock defences, like Ben Arfa. It's painfully obvious and must be addressed.

Too late now as the window is shut but its been a priority for a long time and one that should have been addressed rather than another striker.
We are desperately short of an attacking midfielder who can unlock defences, like Ben Arfa. It's painfully obvious and must be addressed.

Too late now as the window is shut but its been a priority for a long time and one that should have been addressed rather than another striker.

still cant believe this .   oh well , at least Charlie will be fit sometime at christmas ;( Im sure he will unlock the opposition at home * grabs second bottle of whisky *

Offline supertom

« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2013, 07:00:29 PM »
I'm just wondering, and I believe it's been pondered before, but is the modern Premier League game and the way the majority of teams set up, actually suited to playing away? A lot of teams are actually more effective counter attacking. I would say there's very few genuine fortresses left in the league. Arsenal and Spurs (more so in the Bale era probably) I would suggest were rock solid home form away from being title chasers in recent years. And perhaps this year too.

Utd nowadays are more effective as a counter attacking unit too. Whether stats back it up I don't know, but very few grounds have an air of the impenetrable any more. Mourinho at the Bridge springs to mind as being one of those few.

It's probably not just us struggling to make their home patch a fortress. That said though, the last few years have been utter dire. I mean I know we pick out numbers under O Neill. 8, 9 home wins a season and figure it's not enough. But I'd snatch the arm off any man offering us 8 home wins this season. At the very least, we need to cut out so many defeats. 2 out of our first 2 is woeful, and sets a horrible tone. We shouldn't be losing any more than 5 at home in the league, but I can't see us able to do that.

Offline supertom

« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2013, 07:06:54 PM »
Just a cursory check of last seasons table, and from 7th down, all the home records were average at best. Spurs and Arsenal both dropped points in 8 home games a piece, and would expect to do better.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2013, 07:57:43 PM »
But I think only we picked up more points away than at home - though even that was marginal

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2013, 07:59:39 PM »
We're a soft touch. I fell for us after that game at Arsenal. I'm starting to change my mind now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal