collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by ChicagoLion
[Today at 10:10:38 PM]

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread by Le Lapin
[Today at 10:09:55 PM]

Diego Carlos by nordenvillain
[Today at 10:09:04 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 10:04:00 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:51:55 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Views on new signings so far  (Read 15194 times)

Offline QBVILLA

Re: Views on new signings so far
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2013, 11:50:37 AM »
Fair enough, but I'm not sure we've a Scholes or beckham no matter what the ethos!
It's actually a serious point. I think lambert draws inspiration from Dortmund. But they've got a massive advantage: German kids are technically much better and far more numerous than English youngsters.

I kinda disagree there. I think there are plenty of good, young, English players. I think the reason you dont see many Dortmunds (in Germany or England) is its bloody hard, requires a very special coach, time and a lot of patience.

Amazingly we are potentially in a position to follow that path and we actually have a fan base and owner who are willing to have the patience.

Think about it, last season lambert benched our best player, put us in the relegation zone, presided over the most humiliating defeat in our premier league history ,had us knocked out of a cup by Bradford , brought in a spurs offcast and a French League two player as his "fixes" in January and yet we STILL didnt turn on him.

His new signings are also likeable guys, even Benteke arguably the one with the worst attitude seems to be pretty affable and enthusiastic when playing, the rest always just look delighted to be there. This club is all in for the project, I am loving it.

I think Lambert was given the backing of the fans because he had succeeded McLeish, and whoever had followed him was going to be given somewhat of an easier ride. Had he followed MON or Houllier i'm not so sure the fans would have been so forgiving. The back end of the season suggests we turned a corner and players like Lowton and Westwood looked like seasoned Prem players.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2013, 12:03:46 PM »
The key to Lambert's transfer policy would seem to be that talent isn't enough without the right attitude. Perhaps the young players in this country have grown up with the attitude that they've 'made it' the moment they graduate to the seniors? Application, dedication and the right attitude can get you much further than natural talent alone.

I think this is a key point. There were even hints of it under Houllier. While Houllier brought through Bannan, Albrighton, Clark and they all had good seasons that year, he saw that the senior players at villa were not setting a good example and so made his list of demands with regard to commutes and training ground activity.

I always got the sense that McLeish let discipline slip when he was at villa. Things didn't seem that strict and we didn't look like a serious outfit. Perhaps the likes of Bannan started to act a bit Johnny big bollocks for it? I think Lambert is cut from the same kind of cloth as a Ferguson or Houllier, i.e he knows what it takes to win and therefore having the right players rather than the best players is what counts. The McLeish year genuinely was a year zero for us! I just couldn't see him dealing with all the bad apples we had.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 12:07:00 PM by Irish villain »

Online fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2013, 02:24:35 PM »
Perhaps he knew that it was going to be a short tenure so couldn't be bothered with the hassle.

Offline warleyboy

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2013, 04:31:42 PM »
Perhaps he knew that it was going to be a short tenure so couldn't be bothered with the hassle.

Or he was just a cock smoking bum banging useless piece of shite.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2013, 10:09:14 PM »
Nah, he's a decent bloke. Was just out of his depth.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2013, 10:11:13 PM »

Do you have to come out with such homophobic daftness?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 12:13:57 AM by dave.woodhall »

Offline warleyboy

« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2013, 12:09:26 AM »

Do you have to some out with such homophobic daftness?

I'm not homophobic Dave, but McDickhead was a worthless piece of shite in my opinion, and more infuriatingly, he came from that shower in bordesley green....so yes a cock smoker of he highest calibre.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2013, 12:12:43 AM »

I'm not homophobic Dave, but McDickhead was a worthless piece of shite in my opinion, and more infuriatingly, he came from that shower in bordesley green....so yes a cock smoker of he highest calibre.

You're not homophobic, but you use homophobic language. How does that work? No, don't answer that, just please don't say it again.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 12:14:48 AM by dave.woodhall »

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2013, 07:38:27 AM »

I'm afraid these posts make you come across as a bit of a tool. A worthless piece of shit? He's not a war criminal. He didn't fuck us over. He just wasn't good enough

Offline regular_john

« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2013, 08:52:45 AM »
Agreed. Always thought McLeish was a really likeable chap, in fact my Uncle, who is as Villa as they come, met him a bunch of times while he was working in Scotland and said you'd struggle to meet a nicer bloke. If I were to go for a pint with any of our previous five managers, it would be McLeish hands down.

Having said that, he's still a biblically shit football manager.

Offline Boz

« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2013, 09:20:55 AM »
I read lambert's transfer strategy as a bit of a condemnation of the talent coming through at villa and in England generally. He has a bunch of 21-23 year olds who were much feted coming through what is meant to be one of the best academies in the country.

What does he do? Brings in 6 players of a similar age from across Europe and bombs out bannan, fonz, Williams while most of us are questioning why he's hanging on to Clark and albrighton

It's all about opinions and Bannan and Fonz have had opportunities and not really delivered or stepped up to the challenge. Lambert sees these players every day in training and presumably has come to the conclusion they're not for his vision of Villa's future.

Regarding Clark and Albrighton, the latter's start in the first team didn't develop after the first flush of anticipation, plus his injury hasn't helped, while Clark is still developing IMO and Lambert must see something in him that he rates.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2013, 10:10:18 AM »

So anyone you don't like is insulted by making them out as gay? But you are not homophobic?

Online JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2013, 10:17:36 AM »
Why are posters nasty about McLeish. He was the Manager at a shitty club who got offered the chance to manage Aston Villa. He was out of his depth and paid the price. He has not bad mouthed Villa (that I know of) so you can hardly insult him for trying to make a go of it. 

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2013, 12:59:46 PM »
Why are posters nasty about McLeish. He was the Manager at a shitty club who got offered the chance to manage Aston Villa. He was out of his depth and paid the price. He has not bad mouthed Villa (that I know of) so you can hardly insult him for trying to make a go of it. 

100% this

It would be like making me head surgeon at the QE - i would have a real good go but regrettably my talent would not be up to it

Online DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2013, 04:05:48 PM »
My concern with all the new signings, is how long it will take for Lambo to work out his best team - who is performing, who works best with his system and style of play.

Last season cost us early on e.g. Hollman, Ireland etc once we got a settled side were started to move forward and get some some results.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal