collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by mrfuse
[Today at 08:17:57 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by PeterWithe
[Today at 08:06:23 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by jwarry
[Today at 08:04:36 AM]

NSWE Investment by Clampy
[Today at 07:36:01 AM]

Ollie Watkins by stevo_st
[Today at 07:04:35 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Delfouneso & Bannan  (Read 13346 times)

Offline Sunny Villa

Re: Delfouneso & Bannan
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2013, 04:11:54 AM »
Sorry , but Bannan in my  opinion gets a bad rap, his disheveled demeanor does him no favors ,    there is something there , a little like Maloney .

He works hard , but I am sure once he crossed  the line as a young professional  the Villa will demonstrate that is not we expect and a poor example

, I think Carruthers had the same warning , then he was rewarded by captaincy .......  after he knuckled down..

The demon drink had may of our heroes , but today is a more testing time for the kids with more money than was ever on offer to Mcgrath and Robson at  21, agents, off the field attractions , only the dedicated succeed .

Lambert will find these people , internally and externally   

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2013, 06:36:05 AM »
Bannon and Delfounso have both had there chances under more than one manager, disappointing that two more juniors couldn't step up.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2013, 06:42:14 AM »
Paul Ince is crying out for players at Blackpool. The Fonz and Bannan have both played there on-loan, maybe both parties would be keen. Likely involve us subsidising the bulk of the wages though, I imagine.

I'd pay the remainder of their contracts as long as they give us Ince in return.  I suspect that would not reach the previously agreed value of 8m though.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2013, 11:16:05 AM »
Lambert probably knows somebody as good as Ince playing in sub-Saharan Africa who he could get for 200 gumbo beans.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2013, 11:46:31 AM »
Lambert probably knows somebody as good as Ince playing in sub-Saharan Africa who he could get for 200 gumbo beans.

And the people of the sub-Saharan Africa would say actually he's shit and only worth 50 gumbo beans.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2013, 11:56:21 AM »

If i had to pick between Delfouneso and Bowery as a forward i'd pick Delfouneso EVERY single time

I'm not sure why he gets so much flak. Decent player that's never had a proper run in his favoured position. But he certainly looks a better bet than Bowery in front of goal to me. You could say that's not saying a lot, but i think Nathan's got something to offer.

But I was told once that his main problem is a lack of self belief, and that was from folks at Bodymoor

I ran out of patience with Delfouneso, who seemed to have one great season in the Youth /Reserves. I thought it was that he thought he had already made the grade and couldn't be arsed anymore.
I am interested in the view from Bodymoor Heath that you raise.  I guess the test of it all will be where he eventually ends up in about 5 years. My personal view is that he will disappear but I hope that I am wrong.
Regarding Bannan. We know that he was taken to one side last year and told he was surplus to requirements. That may have been a shot across the bows. They may want to see him fight for his place.

Offline mr woo

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2013, 12:06:39 PM »
Watching Fonz over the years, I've come to the conclusion that whatever talent he has in his boots is being nullified by the shortcomings in his head.

I couldn't say if it's a confidence issue or not, but I saw him come on as a sub for the England U21s a few weeks back, at a point where the side was crying out for a creative spark up front. Someone who would demand the ball and make something happen.

So Nathan came on, hid behind the nearest central defender and stayed there for the rest of the game. I'm not sure he even touched the ball as he seemed determined to never be in a position to receive it. Unless anyone can get in his head and sort him out, he won't make the grade unfortunately.

As for Bannan, from the stories I hear of his social 'activities', he's the classic case of a young man getting too much money too soon. I hope the kick in the nuts he'll get at being dropped by Villa brings him to his senses.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2013, 12:15:35 PM »
I wonder, sometimes, whether the Fonz's Villa future would've panned out differently if he'd buried the chances he had at Fulham in TSMs first game.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2013, 12:21:17 PM »
I can't believe the Fonz is still with us - surely a Championship club will come in for him soon?

Offline Yossarian

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2013, 12:21:26 PM »
I hope it is not just a lack of self belief that is holding The Fonz back. I think with a bit of professional help, in the same way we might employ a dietician, and something like a bit of lack of confidence can be trained out. Do we have a head coach? Someone who can get the best mental performance from our players.

I think being a bit of a twat and thinking you are billy big bollocks might be a little more difficult to iron out. So I am far less bothered about what has happened to Bannan.

Offline bobdylan

« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2013, 12:23:08 PM »
I wonder, sometimes, whether the Fonz's Villa future would've panned out differently if he'd buried the chances he had at Fulham in TSMs first game.

Wrong match I think, it was the previous season's match at Fulham when he missed a hatful, under Houllier, Bannan played a blinder, Albrighton scored a cracker , Hangeland scored a last minute equaliser and Fonz missed a hatful.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2013, 12:27:50 PM »

Did someone really post that Bowery has 'so much potential' ???

Based on what ?. Certainly nothing he's shown since being at Villa that's for certain

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2013, 12:33:22 PM »

Wrong match I think, it was the previous season's match at Fulham when he missed a hatful, under Houllier, Bannan played a blinder, Albrighton scored a cracker , Hangeland scored a last minute equaliser and Fonz missed a hatful.

I was behind the bench Houllier was doing his nut at the Fonz for his generally running off the ball and positional sense , it was quite an eye opener

Offline supertom

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2013, 01:12:20 PM »
I would also have Fonz ahead of Bowery at this point. That said, I think we're fine without either going into the new season. Fonz should be sold, Bowery loaned out. I think JB would benefit from playing in the championship. The one thing that worries me about Bowery is that you never ever fancy him to score. No matter the game, whether pre-season or what. When Fonzy first broke through his goals to minutes ratio was actually quite good. He looked quite lively and looked like he could finish, but obviously he's just not had the mentality to really push on and establish himself.

At the moment I'd like to see Burke, Grealish and Carruthers ahead of JB in the pecking order for front 3 spots.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2013, 01:27:54 PM »
Bowery looked poor when he came on on Saturday. Offered very little except hustling their centre backs, mostly with his elbows. The chance he had was decent but he reduced it to a header in the general direction of the goal that went yards over.
A loan out at Championship level at best would seem the best option.

Pity about the Fonz. I always thought he would make it as our next local hero.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal