collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Insignificant Villa players in history  (Read 56572 times)

Online SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
Re: Insignificant Villa players in history
« Reply #120 on: June 06, 2013, 12:45:39 PM »
Colin Calderwood trumps Johnsen in the insignificant stakes surely?

Bt... was it Calderwood who squared up to Phil Thomson on the Anfield touchline and Thomson reversed backwards at lightning speed?  If so surely not insignificant.

Offline SirSteveUK

« Reply #121 on: June 07, 2013, 03:37:44 PM »
Surely the most Insignificant player for Villa must be Jim Herriott,we signed him on loan from the Noses in 1971 and i am pretty sure he never actually played a game for us

Quite correct - he had to go to Durban City to get a game apparently....

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2013, 04:43:50 PM »
Geoff Vowden did indeed play for us around the same time,but he did play 97 games and score 22 goals .I use to like him as i can remember he use to get some awful stick from a lot of the Villa fans just for having come from the noses

We had Vowden and Beard towards the end of their careers, both of whom, especially Beard, were past their best, but I liked them both before and after they joined us. Malcolm Beard later became our youth coach.

Offline willywombat

« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »
Met my bro in law  in the Queslett once, he was having a drink with a bloke I'd never met before. He was a real character and had me in stitches. I didn't find out until he left that it was Mal Beard. Top bloke

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2013, 10:00:18 AM »
Colin Calderwood trumps Johnsen in the insignificant stakes surely?

Bt... was it Calderwood who squared up to Phil Thomson on the Anfield touchline and Thomson reversed backwards at lightning speed?  If so surely not insignificant.

Yes I was at Anfield that day and I've never forgotten Calderwood telling Thompson to fuck off back to the bench (which he did). He really went up in my expectations that day and I've had a soft spot for him ever since. Thompson was like a scolded child. Brilliant.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2013, 11:31:41 AM »
Surely the most Insignificant player for Villa must be Jim Herriott,we signed him on loan from the Noses in 1971 and i am pretty sure he never actually played a game for us

Quite correct - he had to go to Durban City to get a game apparently....

But became very significant in TV history.

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2013, 11:37:18 AM »
Geoff Vowden did indeed play for us around the same time,but he did play 97 games and score 22 goals .I use to like him as i can remember he use to get some awful stick from a lot of the Villa fans just for having come from the noses

We had Vowden and Beard towards the end of their careers, both of whom, especially Beard, were past their best, but I liked them both before and after they joined us. Malcolm Beard later became our youth coach.
Dont forget Trevor Hockey as well!!!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2013, 11:51:49 AM »
Gilles de Bilde.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2013, 12:03:48 PM »
I can remember seeing a headline about a 'big' Villa signing and being pretty underwhelmed to discover it was Gary Penrice. He was fairly insignificant.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2013, 03:07:11 PM »
Oyvind Leonhardsen.  I remember when SGT bought him, all he could think to say was "I'd forgotten about him!"

Offline Damo70

« Reply #130 on: June 08, 2013, 11:03:08 PM »
Did we not sign Johnsen and Leonhardsen because SGT was trying to strengthen the squad on a limited budget and they were both free transfers? They were a step up from Steve Sims and David Hunt to be fair. Jim Walker once said that Steve Sims was the only footballer he ever dealt with who had worse knees that Paul McGrath. Almost certainly the only time Sims and God have been seriously compared with each other.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #131 on: June 09, 2013, 10:34:09 AM »
Did we not sign Johnsen and Leonhardsen because SGT was trying to strengthen the squad on a limited budget and they were both free transfers? They were a step up from Steve Sims and David Hunt to be fair. Jim Walker once said that Steve Sims was the only footballer he ever dealt with who had worse knees that Paul McGrath. Almost certainly the only time Sims and God have been seriously compared with each other.

Sims and Hunt did their bit in the promotion season though (well Sims more than Hunt anyway)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #132 on: June 09, 2013, 10:36:46 AM »
Oyvind Leonhardsen.  I remember when SGT bought him, all he could think to say was "I'd forgotten about him!"

He scored a few though, didn't he end up with something like a 1 in 5 scoring rate for us?

Edit: looked it up, it was 3 in 19, so 1 in 6.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #133 on: June 09, 2013, 11:28:41 AM »

Yes I liked Malcom Beard he was a class act one of the two they had. The other being Terry Hennesey

Offline Damo70

« Reply #134 on: June 09, 2013, 12:20:04 PM »

Sims and Hunt did their bit in the promotion season though (well Sims more than Hunt anyway)

Sims gave us experience at the back for the first half of the season while Alan Evans was injured. Unfortunately, my main memories of him are taking all our free kicks that were awarded deep in our own half, kicking the ball out for a throw, then examining his boots to find out why this had occurred.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal