collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread by Goldenballs
[Today at 09:32:29 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 09:32:20 PM]

Player Discipline, Bookings and Suspension by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:28:43 PM]

Robin Olsen by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:25:36 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:12:29 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Drummond
[Today at 09:11:32 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by Footy-Vill
[Today at 08:54:32 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Insignificant Villa players in history  (Read 56573 times)

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
Re: Insignificant Villa players in history
« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2013, 08:13:37 PM »
and Stan Lynn was super significent.. John Neal was passable.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2013, 09:16:21 PM »
Stefan Beinlich
Mattaius Brietkruetz

Online eric woolban woolban

« Reply #107 on: June 03, 2013, 09:43:52 PM »
Mark Kinsella unless he's been mentioned previously.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2013, 10:15:26 AM »
Again, for us old fogey's, another I've posted about on here, Dave Pountney; he of the milk bottle legs, and just as quick!

Didn't he play left half after Alan Deakin broke his leg?

Seem to remember we called him "Passback Poutney" after his favourite manouvre.

That's the one.  Dire.

Regarding Cammie Fraser Ron, I was right about 1962.  Check out Wiki, it says on there that he went on to help relegate the Noses, I forgot about that so he can't be all that bad!

Actually bridging the gap between Stan the Wham and Cammie Fraser was Gordon Lee IIRC (later Everton boss) ??

Cammie debuted 17.11.62  Stans last game was at Blackburn 16.9.61 (Charlie's 2nd game)

Not sure if mentioned earlier - I give you Frank Pimblett - barely made it into double figures in 2 seasons - score a couple mind...

Another senior moment!  I thought Gordon Lee played at left back. Im wrong. I also thought he had died several years ago but he hasnt.
Hes 78 and living in Lytham St Annes.

Gordon Lee was interviewed for the Villa job in 1984. Steve Stride described this in his book as being such a boring event to endure, he and Doug dreaded to think what his team talks were like.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2013, 01:00:03 PM »
To be a truly insignificant player they can't have been so bad they became infamous, or a loan signing. An insignificant player must have cost not very much, been here a while, done absolutely nothing, had no effect on the team, played in no great games and been forgotten the day after they left, never to be discussed again.

Terry Bullivant, Adrian Heath,  Nicky Shorey, Colin Calderwood, Joe Ward, Willie Young.

I think that's just about perfect as a criteria for insignificance but I would be inclined to include loan signings and Michael Bradley would certainly fit the bill.

Alternatively, Ronny Johnsen must be worthy of inclusion and Wayne Routledge too, can't imagine the printers in the club shop sticking their names and numbers to many shirts.

Maybe even Carl Tiler but I'm pretty sure he scored for us which might rule him out as may also be the case with Franz Carr whose only goal was an enormously signinficant one.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #110 on: June 04, 2013, 09:20:27 PM »
I think you needed to have some reputation before playing for us yet are infamous for being utterly insignificant during the time with us. That's why Adrian Heath came to mind because he did have a standing in the game yet did absolutely fuck all for us. To me that's where the line is between insignificant and irrelevant. There are lots of irrelevant players in our history that came from nothing, did nothing for us and disappeared up their own arses. However, when I think of Nigel Callaghan as an example, I think of a player signed by Sir Graham, played quite well at Watford, and yet couldn't be fucking arsed when he came and played for us. I just think to myself, did he really play for us?

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2013, 10:01:33 PM »
To be a truly insignificant player they can't have been so bad they became infamous, or a loan signing. An insignificant player must have cost not very much, been here a while, done absolutely nothing, had no effect on the team, played in no great games and been forgotten the day after they left, never to be discussed again.

Terry Bullivant, Adrian Heath,  Nicky Shorey, Colin Calderwood, Joe Ward, Willie Young.

I think that's just about perfect as a criteria for insignificance but I would be inclined to include loan signings and Michael Bradley would certainly fit the bill.

Alternatively, Ronny Johnsen must be worthy of inclusion and Wayne Routledge too, can't imagine the printers in the club shop sticking their names and numbers to many shirts.

Maybe even Carl Tiler but I'm pretty sure he scored for us which might rule him out as may also be the case with Franz Carr whose only goal was an enormously signinficant one.

I thought Ronnie Johnsen did a decent job for us while he was here.

Online bilsim

• I just love Aston Villa.
« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2013, 01:14:18 AM »

He did, I think he scored for us aswell?

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #113 on: June 05, 2013, 12:30:15 PM »
Colin Calderwood trumps Johnsen in the insignificant stakes surely?

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #114 on: June 06, 2013, 12:39:35 AM »

He did, I think he scored for us aswell?

I agree - he played well for us. I was disappointed he didn't get a second season

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #115 on: June 06, 2013, 01:10:05 AM »
Malcolm Beard from the Noses,i am sure he played a few games for us.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #116 on: June 06, 2013, 01:18:03 AM »
Surely the most Insignificant player for Villa must be Jim Herriott,we signed him on loan from the Noses in 1971 and i am pretty sure he never actually played a game for us

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #117 on: June 06, 2013, 08:24:41 AM »
Malcolm Beard from the Noses,i am sure he played a few games for us.

I'm not going to look it up but around the same time did we have Geoff Vowden from them as well?

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #118 on: June 06, 2013, 09:39:44 AM »
Geoff Vowden did indeed play for us around the same time,but he did play 97 games and score 22 goals .I use to like him as i can remember he use to get some awful stick from a lot of the Villa fans just for having come from the noses

Offline ACVilla

• GM : 16.03.2017
« Reply #119 on: June 06, 2013, 10:37:24 AM »
Charles N'Zogbia

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal