collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:11:02 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by KevinGage
[Today at 12:09:54 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by London Villan
[Today at 12:07:17 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:59:17 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Nii Lamptey
[Today at 11:57:56 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 11:57:13 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:54:44 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 11:51:46 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our Fans  (Read 23669 times)

Offline rob_bridge

Re: Our Fans
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2013, 01:27:44 PM »
The noise on 5live during the Sunderland game even in the first half prior to any goals (and even after Rose scored equaliser) was louder than any of those 'special European nights at Anfield' that the Beeb plug unashamedly. It was deafening and obvioulsy got louder as the match progressed. Brilliant effort

As others have posted turning a small % of what must be 150,000-200,000 casual fans in West Mids conurbation into regulars would see the ground 95% full.
90% of people's incomes are shrinking so it would be good to see Villa (as gate receipts are a smaller % of overall income)
a) reduce the price of season tickets for all by 10% as those hardy people are the most loyal fans and ensure no increase for 3 years
b) ensure there are 3-4 games per season (cup games where possible) with a blanket £10 for all (5 for kids). Season ticket holders could be compensated with food/beer/shop vouchers when this occurs for League games.
c) Dunno if this happens - ground tours for kids for free during school holidays. Long term build up of fan base.
d) Reduce the normal match day ticket prices by 5% and promise a freeze for 3 years.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2013, 01:39:19 PM »
 There were Sunderland fans on the SMB saying that they couldn’t believe how loud it was. That with The Hole and the North going, it was just a wall of noise.

As an aside, I love reading North East message boards when it comes to fans. Sunderland always take 19,000 to every away game, make a racket everywhere and the opposition only brought up 200 to the SoL, even though there were free rocket packs for each fan.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2013, 01:47:28 PM »
There were Sunderland fans on the SMB saying that they couldn’t believe how loud it was. That with The Hole and the North going, it was just a wall of noise.

As an aside, I love reading North East message boards when it comes to fans. Sunderland always take 19,000 to every away game, make a racket everywhere and the opposition only brought up 200 to the SoL, even though there were free rocket packs for each fan.

Fair to say they have an 'over-inflated' view of their own support then? That sounds more like Jawdees than Mackems but maybe it's spreading!

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2013, 01:48:16 PM »
even though there were free rocket packs for each fan.

What's in a rocket pack?

Offline neo_Villan

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2013, 01:48:28 PM »
Up until this season I would have wholeheartedly agreed that Villa fans could easily be described as fickle.

I just don't get this. How are we any different from any other clubs supporters when things aren't going well
I think peopld just compare us to the likes of Newcastle and Sunderland who, to be fair, do fill out even when things aren't going well. Newcastle kept getting 50k crowds even when in the Championship if I'm not mistaken. I think they are an exception though and most fans aren't much different to ours. I doubt the Emirates or Stamford Bridge would be selling out if they were facing mid-table mediocrity year in, year out.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2013, 01:52:37 PM »
Up until this season I would have wholeheartedly agreed that Villa fans could easily be described as fickle.

I just don't get this. How are we any different from any other clubs supporters when things aren't going well
I think peopld just compare us to the likes of Newcastle and Sunderland who, to be fair, do fill out even when things aren't going well. Newcastle kept getting 50k crowds even when in the Championship if I'm not mistaken. I think they are an exception though and most fans aren't much different to ours. I doubt the Emirates or Stamford Bridge would be selling out if they were facing mid-table mediocrity year in, year out.

It would be interesting to see what St James's Park would be like after a couple of years of Mcleish in charge.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2013, 02:13:23 PM »
The fans have been good this season (apart from the awful repertoire of "songs") especially in the last few home games.  I can't take any credit whatsoever as I think this is the first season since about 1966 or 1967 that I haven't attended a single Villa game, due to not having been in the country at any point during the season.  Must do better next season.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2013, 02:20:45 PM »
I've read and heard many positive comments about the Villa support this season and how vocal and supportive they have been. I very rarely get to Villa Park these days but the atmosphere for the QPR game was the best I've experienced at Villa in years, it was like the old days!

The Sunderland game came accross as pretty noisy on TV which takes some doing.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2013, 02:26:26 PM »
our fans do the whole going mental thing when we score as good as anyone in the world. Maybe it's because we just don't get enough of it.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2013, 02:40:38 PM »
I'm really proud of the way that the vast majority of us have been behind Lambert all through the season, including black December.  I honestly don't think there are many top flight clubs who would have demonstrated such support for a manager in the same circumstances.  Imagine any of the 'top 6' teams singing their manager's name whilst losing 3-0 at home to Wigan?

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2013, 04:21:51 PM »
Considering what we have been through this season, we have been fantasic (which, let's face it, is not going to get all the fair weather support through th gates), supported Lambo (most of us) in turning it around from the shower of sh*t from last season, bringing in his own methods, players etc... I think next season will be a good one. Build it and they will come.
The Stan support, Brigada and away support have been superb. It's been evident we have been singing our own songs again and not too much SMA bashing & the awful Paul McGrath song (which seems to be started by the yoofs at the back of the Holte).

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2013, 04:49:09 PM »

Sunderland boast about their attendances yet ignore the fact they give away considerable numbers of free tickets for every home game - not just a few hundreds here and there, but thousands and thousands.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2013, 04:51:33 PM »
Considering the season we've had, we the fans have been fucking fantastic this season.

Lower North Massive in da house.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2013, 04:56:17 PM »
Interesting to hear people on here describe us as "much maligned" or "fickle".

I've never considered us to be much maligned, far from it, and the only time I have ever really heard the "f" word used in relation to us was regarding that whole O'Leary kerfuffle.

The vast, vast majority of fans of other clubs would have been going nuts halfway through this season if they had had our results. We didn't, we stuck with the team and the manager to a remarkable degree.

You really don't see that in the PL very much, not even when managers have a good reputation. Look how quickly MON's star fell with Sunderland fans, for instance.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2013, 05:02:33 PM »
I've got an old football book - I say old, it's from the early 80s- which gives an overview of all the first division teams. Not particularly brilliant stuff but on the Villa page it describes Villa fans as fickle.

The only reason I knew what fickle meant was because those fortune fish you used to get in Christmas crackers used it

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal