collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by mrfuse
[Today at 08:17:57 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by PeterWithe
[Today at 08:06:23 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by jwarry
[Today at 08:04:36 AM]

NSWE Investment by Clampy
[Today at 07:36:01 AM]

Ollie Watkins by stevo_st
[Today at 07:04:35 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our Fans  (Read 23667 times)

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: Our Fans
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 09:44:22 AM »
There's always a good effort from our away following, they never fail to make a noise but against Norwich in the league cup they were exceptional.  It's a long time since I seen us make such a consistent din at such a hard to get to location.  The team responded accordingly.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 09:47:43 AM »
I suppose you could criticise us for rarely filling the ground. For the season we were 82% full which was second lowest in the league. I have followed Villa since the 1960's and it was always so, a big support base but not likely to consistently turn out. That's the challenge for the club, how do we get 40000 every week, we did it when fighting for 4th place it would be good if we could do it always.
As for the quality of the support, first class in my opinion. We have really got behind the team at Villa Park in the last couple of vital months, such a contrast to the gloom of last season.

I've said that many times. Anyone who can turn our armchair/occasional fans into regular supporters will be as significant to the Villa off the pitch as Ron Saunders was on it.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2013, 09:54:44 AM »
As I posted in another thread, Garth Crooks said on TV that we were the best fans in the league this season.

Spot on Pingu. Anyone see it?

Online mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2013, 09:59:06 AM »
Up until this season I would have wholeheartedly agreed that Villa fans could easily be described as fickle.

I just don't get this. How are we any different from any other clubs supporters when things aren't going well

Exactly, Stoke are supposed to be renowned for there support but as soon as things started going wrong we soon saw how quickly that changed.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2013, 10:06:32 AM »
As I posted in another thread, Garth Crooks said on TV that we were the best fans in the league this season.

I think that was against Stoke but it might have been against Everton.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 10:09:37 AM »
The Twelfth Man was back in form this season. Definitely.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 10:11:25 AM »
As much as the regular home fans have backed the team all season, it's only been the last third of the season where the attendances have got to decent levels.

If you go back to Nov/Dec/Jan there was a period where we were only getting league gates of 28-30k. It's things like that opposition supporters can get on their high horse about.

Offline inside right

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2013, 10:12:42 AM »
I think if we play the same sort of swashbuckling football as we have done in the last third this season, I think home attendances will keep increasing.

League position aside, you cannot put your hand on your heart and say that you have not been entertained. 

Spot on that man

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2013, 10:28:27 AM »
There's always a good effort from our away following, they never fail to make a noise but against Norwich in the league cup they were exceptional.  It's a long time since I seen us make such a consistent din at such a hard to get to location.  The team responded accordingly.

Norwich away was amazing, it's true, but just as impressive was QPR and Sunderland at home.

There was a middle aged lady sitting/standing next to me at QPR who was very excitable.  She kept on shouting "Come on Villa!  Score a goal!  Get it in the net!"   I was tempted to dryly observe "that is the general idea," but I thought better of it.  She was having a good time so why try and piss on her chips?  At the end of the match when we hung on for the win I was so overwhelmed I staggered a bit, and she turned round full of concern and said "are you alright dear?"  I assured her I was great! :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 10:31:40 AM by not3bad »

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2013, 10:42:42 AM »
To think, Chelsea currently hold World, European and Europa titles and have qualified for the Champions League again, yet their fans fly banners about the next manager and call talk shows to moan incessantly about not being able to compete with the Manchester clubs.

We are a bigger and better club than Chelsea and always will be. We haven't won a trophy for 17 years, yet we can still get the support like we have this season, despite 3 consecutive relegation battles.

We are a fantastic set of fans.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2013, 11:48:42 AM »
Agree. I think the big turn-out at the QPR game sums it up and was a great show of support for the team in what was one of the most vital games played at VP for many a year. Well done Villans!

Same for the Sunderland game as well. We packed out Villa Park for both and the Holte End was a magical place to be.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2013, 11:55:44 AM »

I think that was against Stoke but it might have been against Everton.

It was after the Stoke game on Final Score

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2013, 12:14:39 PM »
Agree. I think the big turn-out at the QPR game sums it up and was a great show of support for the team in what was one of the most vital games played at VP for many a year. Well done Villans!

Same for the Sunderland game as well. We packed out Villa Park for both and the Holte End was a magical place to be.
Is their any link between pricing and attendance?

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2013, 01:01:48 PM »
If we became the first English club to have a German Bundesliga price structure you wouldn't have enough seats in the ground. £20 a match ticket or £250 a season ticket and we'd fill the ground.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2013, 01:16:56 PM »

Is their any link between pricing and attendance?

Possibly, but we also get high attendances when Man United/Arsenal/Chelsea have come to town which is usually the most expensive games.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal