collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Norwich City v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 62904 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: Norwich City v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #300 on: May 05, 2013, 01:06:38 PM »
A lot of Bennett's fouling is from a lack of body strength.  Spend the break in the gym and I think he will be decent.  I don't think he really warranted the yellow card so early, maybe he deserved one later for persistent fouling but there was no way he deserved to go off.  I think the ref had the sense to realize that.

There's a lot more to his weaknesses at the back than just being small.  He's always out of position and doesn't link up at all well with his centre back.  Defensively he's just bloody awful, I'd rather see him on the left of midfield, as he has good energy and gets the ball in well.

In the first half he did actually tuck in well on crosses and got in before Holt 3-4 times. I think strength will help, but long term he will end up much higher up the field.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #301 on: May 05, 2013, 01:12:16 PM »
Regarding Guzan's aberration; I have watched it several times and Bennett is just ball-watching and allows Holt to go around him, in fact I think that Guzan coming out so brazenly actually might have put Holt off a bit otherwise he would have had more of a free header?

Yep, I think Guzan saw who Holt was up against and thought shit, I've got to do something here.  Not the smartest move ever, but lucky for us, he got away with it.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #302 on: May 05, 2013, 01:30:49 PM »
Norwich fan said on that thread
I've had the unfortunate experience of spending 3 years in the Midlands and most of the Villa fans i've met are complete morons.

;D

Probably an older fan who has disliked us since 1975.
Aston Villa ! Canary Killa ! 

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #303 on: May 05, 2013, 01:38:51 PM »
Norwich fan said on that thread
I've had the unfortunate experience of spending 3 years in the Midlands and most of the Villa fans i've met are complete morons.

;D

Probably an older fan who has disliked us since 1975.
Aston Villa ! Canary Killa !

Clever penalty from Ray Graydon that!  Aimed for the post and knocked in the rebound.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #304 on: May 05, 2013, 02:11:30 PM »
Still trying to work out how Bennett was still on the pitch at the end!

I am still trying to work out why Bennet is even on the pitch. They never looked like scoring and he gave them there two best chances. (Penalty -- free kick at the edge of the penalty box) I know he is young and all that but look at Lowton and Benteke. He might get better with experience but at what cost ??

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #305 on: May 05, 2013, 02:50:51 PM »
Great result, two very good goals from Gabby and generally a feeling of relief that the team has just about assured its safety. I still feel an apathy about everything else football wise but the love for The Villa will never leave me.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #306 on: May 05, 2013, 03:00:26 PM »
I see the Bennett knockers are out in force again.  Shirt pulling is part of the game these days and unfortunately Bennett got caught at it a few times.  Look at what goes on in the penalty area these days and Bennett's were mild in comparison but it is far easier for a ref to give them outside the box.  He must learn this and he will.

He was targeted yesterday due to his inexperience and he will learn to cope with the experienced PL players he comes up against.  This is his first season in the PL for f**** sake.  I am sure the coaches will work with him during preseason and tell him to not get so close to his player as he has the pace not to need to.

One thing that would help him is for the defenders and midfield players to play better balls to him.  Constantly they knock balls behind him so that he is facing his own goal rather putting it in front of him.

He has been improving of late and I would put that down to confidence as much as learning.  Yesterday was a high pressure game, the like of which he may never have been involved in.  To keep on knocking him after a poor performance is not going to help him.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #307 on: May 05, 2013, 03:51:24 PM »
I agree he's been much improved of late. But I would hope not to play him against Chelsea and possibly against mcmanaman of Wigan. And I'd like to buy a better defensive left back in the summer and rotate / let them compete for the spot.

Offline Ross

« Reply #308 on: May 05, 2013, 11:00:10 PM »
Very late in the day here, but can I just say what a dirty cheating ugly fat fucker Grant Holt is. And Tony Gale is an utter cock too. That is all.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #309 on: May 06, 2013, 08:41:29 AM »
Very late in the day here, but can I just say what a dirty cheating ugly fat fucker Grant Holt is. And Tony Gale is an utter cock too. That is all.

Both good points, well made.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #310 on: May 06, 2013, 10:48:11 AM »
I see the Bennett knockers are out in force again. 

Someone else has posted how the close season fitness training may help him to gain some upper body strength. I go along with that.
Regarding knockers, there was one behind me at Norwich who slagged off most of the team at Norwich at some point or other.  I think he only had Guzan and Vlaar left to have a moan at. I was getting ready to shout 'BINGO' when their turn came.
Anyway, at the end of the game, he was as happy as the rest of us. I think the moaning may have been his way of coping with the tension.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #311 on: May 06, 2013, 11:33:42 AM »

Both good points, well made.

Yep, it's total hypocrisy for Hughton to complain that Bennett should have been sent off after the way Holt smashed into everything all game.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #312 on: May 06, 2013, 12:09:27 PM »
Holt isn't very good really is he?

I was impressed with Bassong's marking of Benteke.  I think he won that battle.  Even so, I can't see Norwich getting anything more than a point from their next two games.  They seem a bit disjointed. 

Offline McGraths Dry Cleaning

« Reply #313 on: May 06, 2013, 01:16:16 PM »
Great result. I was born in Norwich and if my folks hadn't moved to the Mids when I was a baby I might never have experienced the joy that it is to be a Villa fan.

We are in a strong position now and our run over the last couple of months has given everyone great heart - players and fans alike. I was out in Solihull yesterday and it was nice to see so many kids and adults wearing their Villa tops - might have been a coincidence (or the sunshine) but it feels like I havn't seen many out and about recently.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
Norwich game
« Reply #314 on: May 06, 2013, 02:15:23 PM »
Not that its very interesting but....

On Saturday I had some last minute business in Norwich. I managed to get to the ground about 25 mins into the game, unfortunately for me, I was told there was no way to get a seat.
I was told by two stewards I could watch it in the Yellows bar, but it was all shut up.

I walked back to the Morrisons, where I parked, and bought a few things for my journey home. I had local radio on and as I sat at the traffic lights to turn right past the ground Gabby got his first goal. So I drove past the ground tooting my horn! I wonder if anybody could hear? (I guess my tinny horn would probably fail to penetrate the stadium)

As things were pretty tense and I would probably be unsafe driving, I sat in The Red Lion car park (The building reminded me of Villa Park, obviously the Lion too so I thought it was good luck http://www.bedandbreakfast-directory.co.uk/uploads/estate/hotels/hotels41699.htm)

I probably blended in with the locals, by being bright red, twitching and looking very retarded - only kidding I found the place very friendly.

A great day out!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 02:17:32 PM by Malandro »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal