collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by OCD
[Today at 10:40:29 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Risso
[Today at 10:40:09 AM]

Re: GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by Rotterdam
[Today at 10:35:10 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:31:59 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Dave
[Today at 10:27:30 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by paul_e
[Today at 10:25:46 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:24:40 AM]

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by johnc
[Today at 10:22:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Chelsea match moved! Or Not?  (Read 18083 times)

Offline eastie

Re: Chelsea match moved! Or Not?
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2013, 09:53:35 AM »
Here's a radical idea - rather than fcuk around with the fixtures like this, they could hold the FA Cup final at 3.00 on the Saturday after the end of the season. Can't see such it catching on though.

Wasnt an option this season due the champions league final being at Wembley .

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2013, 10:13:38 AM »
That's this year's excuse Eastie. There always seems to be some UEFA edict - x weeks between the end of season and the Euros or CL final which the FA bow to. It shouldn't be beyond the wit of the PL to get a full set of fixtures in midweek well before the end of the season - especially with the reduced number of teams/games in the top flight now - leaving the requisite gap. The FA Cup final has long lost its shine and playing it on the same day or weekend as normal fixtures only adds to its demise.

Offline eastie

« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2013, 10:18:20 AM »
That's this year's excuse Eastie. There always seems to be some UEFA edict - x weeks between the end of season and the Euros or CL final which the FA bow to. It shouldn't be beyond the wit of the PL to get a full set of fixtures in midweek well before the end of the season - especially with the reduced number of teams/games in the top flight now - leaving the requisite gap. The FA Cup final has long lost its shine and playing it on the same day or weekend as normal fixtures only adds to its demise.

Totally agree cj.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2013, 11:00:09 AM »
So, can someone tell me if the simplest of terms what needs to happen for the match to revert back to the Sunday please?

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2013, 11:04:09 AM »
So, can someone tell me if the simplest of terms what needs to happen for the match to revert back to the Sunday please?

Sky telly to mysteriously disappear

Offline eastie

« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2013, 11:08:52 AM »

If Chelsea win their semi final the match will be rearranged possibly for midweek before cup final.
Either way it won't revert back to Sunday.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2013, 12:08:38 PM »

As Eastie says, it won't now go back to the Sunday. It'll only go to a midweek, although if Chelsea reach the final of both the FA Cup and Europa League they have a problem in that they will only have one free midweek before the end of the season - which is the one before the FA Cup final - and would have to fit in their games with both us and Spurs somehow.
At the moment of course, both them and Spurs could reach the semis of the Europa League so if that happens it seems the fairest solution is they play each other in the league on the Monday before one of their Thursday semis, leaving us to play Tues/Wed 7/8th May.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2013, 01:08:33 AM »
Here's a radical idea - rather than fcuk around with the fixtures like this, they could hold the FA Cup final at 3.00 on the Saturday after the end of the season. Can't see such it catching on though.

Wasnt an option this season due the champions league final being at Wembley .

And they couldn't just move the end of the Premier League forward by a week because?...

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2013, 09:09:35 AM »
So, if chelsea win this weekend, the match against us shall probably on the Wednesday before the Cup final. But, and I know it's bugger-all to do with us, that still leaves them with the spurs game. They fail to make the Europa final, play it on that day. However, if, god-forbid, they make that final too, I wouldn't be too amazed if it were played after everyone else has finished. Two reasons: firstly, there is a sizable precedent in the 'The Mighty Reds YNWA'-arse title decider of '89; secondly, if it turns out to be a CL qualification showdown, Sky would wank themselves silly to have this as a stand-alone game.

Offline eastie

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2013, 09:49:22 AM »
So, if chelsea win this weekend, the match against us shall probably on the Wednesday before the Cup final. But, and I know it's bugger-all to do with us, that still leaves them with the spurs game. They fail to make the Europa final, play it on that day. However, if, god-forbid, they make that final too, I wouldn't be too amazed if it were played after everyone else has finished. Two reasons: firstly, there is a sizable precedent in the 'The Mighty Reds YNWA'-arse title decider of '89; secondly, if it turns out to be a CL qualification showdown, Sky would wank themselves silly to have this as a stand-alone game.

All matches must be completed by the final day of the season - if necessary Chelsea would probably have to play on the Monday and possibly thurs night of the final week - it cannot be played after the 19th may.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2013, 09:52:30 AM »
wouldn't it be easier to give us the points and erase the problem?

Offline danlanza

« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2013, 12:30:38 PM »
Yes. I agree with that 100% ;D

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2013, 12:47:59 PM »

All matches must be completed by the final day of the season - if necessary Chelsea would probably have to play on the Monday and possibly thurs night of the final week - it cannot be played after the 19th may.

Fair enough, it was just a thought.

Sky ad on tawkspawt just, plugging the chelsea-spurs game tomorrow. I take it Sky realise they're unavailable?!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2013, 04:12:53 PM »

They would but Uefa have fcuked that up by a) moving the champions league final from a Wednesday to the Saturday after the final prem fixtures and b) choosing Wembley again as their cash cow venue.

What I want to know is say Chelsea win today and beat Basle, not only when would we play them but when on earth would they play Spurs at home which was their league fixture this weekend?

They can't play it on Wednesday as they've got Fulham away and the next two midweeks are eaten up by the two Basle games and then the midweek before the final day they could be in the europa league final.

Could there be a mind boggling scenario where they could have to play their league fixture on the saturday, Spurs on the monday night, us on the Wednesday and then the cup final on the saturday?

They would be shot with a fixture list like that.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2013, 04:17:42 PM »

The europa league final is that midweek and on the wednesday so there's no way Chelsea would play that monday night, 48 hours before a europe final (I expect them to beat Basle over two legs). That said Man. City have dominated the first 15 minutes today and I expect them to win and us to play them on cup final weekend.

Amen to Malandaro's suggestion anyway!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal