collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by eamonn
[Today at 01:34:31 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 01:33:31 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Liverpool Post-Match Thread  (Read 50932 times)

Offline Matt Collins

Re: Aston Villa v Liverpool Post-Match Thread
« Reply #300 on: April 01, 2013, 01:31:29 PM »
I can understand Bannan's inclusion because him, Westwood and Sylla were the midfield in the last two games that were won, but I'm pretty confident he won't start the next match.

I can understand Bannan's inclusion because him, Westwood and Sylla were the midfield in the last two games that were won, but I'm pretty confident he won't start the next match.

Good comment and maybve some people need to be realistic, Bannan fucked up massively with great pass to Suarez but he werent crap IMHO and I am not a fan.

You might get away with playing Bannan against a championship side like Reading but not against Liverpool. 

Yes, thank fuck he didn't play at Anfield this season, we'd have been massacred.

What's that? Oh.

More seriously, it really frustrates me why people make 'black and white' statements that are unjustifiable. 'Baker will never make it'. 'You can't get away with Bannan against Liverpool'.The world is rarely that straightforward.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #301 on: April 01, 2013, 01:38:30 PM »

Good comment and maybve some people need to be realistic, Bannan fucked up massively with great pass to Suarez but he werent crap IMHO and I am not a fan.

You might get away with playing Bannan against a championship side like Reading but not against Liverpool. 

Yes, thank fuck he didn't play at Anfield this season, we'd have been massacred.

What's that? Oh.

More seriously, it really frustrates me why people make 'black and white' statements that are unjustifiable. 'Baker will never make it'. 'You can't get away with Bannan against Liverpool'.The world is rarely that straightforward.

Those black and white statements are just opinions that we're entitled to. If someone claims the likes of Baker and Bannan won't make the grade then I don't see what's wrong in saying it. Sometimes you have to trust your own judgement.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #302 on: April 01, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
Of course. And I don't think Bannan will be here in a couple of years, and Albrighton, Lichaj and Herd I don't think are good enough either.

But that's different from giving up on someone after 4-5 games (Benteke) or saying that because a 20 year old defender makes stupid mistakes now he's never going to be good enough to stop making them.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #303 on: April 01, 2013, 01:48:50 PM »

Bannan and Westwood are the same player for me.Both good footballers, generally good passers, but both are young, and vulnerable to nervouseness.Both lack the physicality to get us out of this mess imho.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #304 on: April 01, 2013, 02:12:59 PM »

Bannan and Westwood are the same player for me.Both good footballers, generally good passers, but both are young, and vulnerable to nervouseness.Both lack the physicality to get us out of this mess imho.

Bannan is 23 for gods sake! In footballing terms that is not young. His problem is that although he does have talent he does not have the ability to use it at speed like Zola could ,or the physical shape to hold off the well muscled boys that most top clubs use in midfield these days.

Not his fault thats just the way he was born. I suspect he will head north at the end of this season probably for 2mil or something like that.
Or to a Dutch club where he might do well with his technique.

Which means Lambert will no doubt play him against Stoke whose giants will be rubbing their hands with glee at the thought.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #305 on: April 01, 2013, 03:09:26 PM »
1 The Centre backs are crap, Vlaar included.
2 Bannan is terrible. Im no Bannan hater but physically he's appalling and technically crap too.
3 Benteke is our best out and out centre forward of the last 20 years for me. Imagine him with Yorke up front.
4 Sylla is scared to pass the ball forward more than 5 yards.
5 There is too much pointing at players making runs and not enough following them
6 The players don't take the game by the scuff of its neck, loads of indecisive half hearted attempts at tackles and passes. No one saying give me the fucking ball.

Sylla does what he's been asked to do, press the opposition and keep the tempo going I think he's done very well.

What tempo is that? 2 yard passes backwards and sideways contributes nothing 99% of the time. He doesn't add any protection to our donkey back 4 either.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #306 on: April 01, 2013, 03:14:59 PM »
... No one saying give me the fucking ball.
One of BB's problems is that he demands the ball too much, sometimes in places where he does not have the physciality or speed of thought and action to avoid opposition attention.
Several times this season he has demanded and rceived the ball from the back five in places that are just not sensible.

He's either too keen or has an inflated opinon of his ability to get out of tight situations; probably a bit of both.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #307 on: April 01, 2013, 03:18:21 PM »
The bloody Ref blew up on exactly 3 mins (added time) which included nearly a minute where there was a player down injured. You'd have thought he would have added it onto the time, but no he didn't bother.

Stevie didn't ask for it.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #308 on: April 01, 2013, 03:22:14 PM »
The bloody Ref blew up on exactly 3 mins (added time) which included nearly a minute where there was a player down injured. You'd have thought he would have added it onto the time, but no he didn't bother.

Stevie didn't ask for it.

And then the time before he finds 5 minutes from nowhere and plays nearly 6

Wheres that conspiracy thread

Offline eastie

« Reply #309 on: April 01, 2013, 03:23:03 PM »
... No one saying give me the fucking ball.
One of BB's problems is that he demands the ball too much, sometimes in places where he does not have the physciality or speed of thought and action to avoid opposition attention.
Several times this season he has demanded and rceived the ball from the back five in places that are just not sensible.

He's either too keen or has an inflated opinon of his ability to get out of tight situations; probably a bit of both.

Maybe so but his biggest problem Is he isn't very good! ( and thats being far more polite than I would like)

Offline black pearl of inchicore

« Reply #310 on: April 01, 2013, 03:23:39 PM »
10 pts from the last 21, another 10 from the next 21 should be enough.....and then a huge car boot sale to clear out the wasters.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #311 on: April 02, 2013, 07:36:30 AM »

I noticed that too, especially as the week before the Ref played nearly a minute extra for similar reasons (when QPR nearly scored). 

That's 'The Mighty Reds YNWA' games for you.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #312 on: April 21, 2013, 05:56:23 PM »
A random thing to throw in the pot but there were a number of new faces in my part of the Lower Holte yesterday and fuck me were they a moaning bunch of bastards.

Everyone and everything was shit from start to end in their eyes.
They will be first in the queue if we get to a Final. Funny have these people cluster together or is there one main arsehole and the rest join in like sheep?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal