collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Is Villa Park part of the problem?  (Read 12926 times)

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
Re: Is Villa Park part of the problem?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 06:23:35 PM »
Well we seem to be losing at home and drawing / throwing away wins away, so it does look like playing at VP is an issue.  I think it's because  our forwards get a bit more space to operate away from home so they are more likely to offset the goal haemorrhageing at the other end.

Offline neo_Villan

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »
Without doubt for me. The atmosphere at VP is just mundane. Seldom even 90% full too. Obviously it isn't the main reason for our shocking home form, but as we saw against Manure, a good atmosphere rubs off on the team.

Offline levico

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 07:35:30 PM »
Might be a bit more intimidating to teams in the Championship?  Or will they just raise their game?

Offline newtonsballs

• GM : 21.02.2020
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 07:52:34 PM »
Without doubt for me. The atmosphere at VP is just mundane. Seldom even 90% full too. Obviously it isn't the main reason for our shocking home form, but as we saw against Manure, a good atmosphere rubs off on the team.
[/b]

And we lost that one! The team needs to raise their game. We are paying to see them, they are being paid to play in front of us!

So there!

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 08:07:07 PM »
I think Lambert and players were aware of this when he was first appointed. Hence the moving of the dug-out and talk of 'getting fans on baord', getting the ground 'rocking'.

It's like there's a palpable sense of dread around the club.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 08:31:14 PM »
Our home record has been poor for years. We have only won over 10 home games in a season twice in the last 10 years. That is a terrible stat.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 08:45:45 PM »
The biggest worry for me is that our main attacking threat comes via counter-attacks.
So while on paper, Everton away should be much tougher than West Ham at home, the game today suited us in an attacking sense (see also recent away games at West Brom and Swansea) as our game plan was pretty much to soak-up home pressure and break with pace when possible.

When we have to take games to the opposition - i.e. at home against most sides when the onus is on us to attack, we struggle to create due to the lack of space (see Newcastle game during the week where we dominated possession for the second half but only had a goal from a penalty to show for it).
This was true even going back to MON but we were lethal at set-pieces in those days which won us a lot of games at VP. Now, we're awful at defending and attacking set-plays and the counter-attack is still our only real weapon to hurt teams which can't be used so much at home.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 08:52:04 PM by eamonn »

Offline neo_Villan

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2013, 08:56:14 PM »
[/b]

And we lost that one! The team needs to raise their game. We are paying to see them, they are being paid to play in front of us!

So there!
You know what I mean! It was a good performance. The whole reason playing at home is seen as an advantage is because the fans can spur the team on. As I say, the atmosphere at VP is just drab and uninspiring.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2013, 09:00:09 PM »
I've never understood why teams think they have to play different home and away. These are highly paid professionals, who should be able to go about their job in the same manner regardless of their surroundings.

Offline danno

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2013, 09:00:26 PM »
Last person to score from open play at villa park was weimann against man ure. THAT is the problem

That is quite frankly terrifying.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2013, 09:06:35 PM »
[/b]

So there!
You know what I mean! It was a good performance. The whole reason playing at home is seen as an advantage is because the fans can spur the team on. As I say, the atmosphere at VP is just drab and uninspiring.
Well bloody change it then ffs. You lot pay your money to watch the games live so back the fucking team then and create some sort of atmosphere. There is more atmosphere in my local!! 2000 fucking miles away. Get behind the team and the club and stop fucking moaning when you could be part of the fucking problem. Back the lads on the fucking pitch for 90 mins and you will see a big difference. Get a fucking grip and support your team like life depends on it. Rant fucking over. UTV

Offline newtonsballs

• GM : 21.02.2020
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2013, 09:07:18 PM »
[/b]

So there!

Of course I do Neo - but I wish these highly paid blighters would show some passion and professional pride.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2013, 09:21:20 PM »
Might be a bit more intimidating to teams in the Championship?  Or will they just raise their game?

We're not down yet - and we won't be gong down full stop if we can sort out our home form.  Would a galvanised Villa Park help?  Yes - we need to make it a fortress over the next couple of months. 

Offline neo_Villan

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2013, 09:37:40 PM »
Well bloody change it then ffs. You lot pay your money to watch the games live so back the fucking team then and create some sort of atmosphere. There is more atmosphere in my local!! 2000 fucking miles away. Get behind the team and the club and stop fucking moaning when you could be part of the fucking problem. Back the lads on the fucking pitch for 90 mins and you will see a big difference. Get a fucking grip and support your team like life depends on it. Rant fucking over. UTV
Would if I could mate. Live too far to make it regularly. But always get behind the players during my rare forays to VP.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2013, 09:51:09 PM »
Would if I could mate. Live too far to make it regularly. But always get behind the players during my rare forays to VP.
Fair play neo. Keep it up and we will make a difference, even me shouting at a telly miles away. We need to back our lads and just hope.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal