collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Statues?!  (Read 10734 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Statues?!
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 02:12:22 PM »
Ramsay. The most important man in our history without any doubt whatsoever.

Old Mac is there for what he did for football, GBR should be honoured for what he did for Villa.

'Never A Minute Wasted'.

I don't think there's much between him and Rinder. In an ideal world we'd have a Holy Trinity of statues of both of them to go alongside McGregor.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 02:15:17 PM »
I've always been relieved that Dennis didn't swap shirts like most of the others did. Would have been shit if all the pictures like the above were of him holding it while wearing a Bayern shirt.

It's a shame that most of them did as in a lot of the pics from the celebrations that night, our lads are practically all wearing red, German shirts. I know it's de rigeur to swap at the end of an important game but I can't recall seeing other pics of champions on the pitch after finals in the colours of the opposition.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 02:24:10 PM »
I understand that the noses are erecting a statue of a royal blue penis. It will be inscribed with the names of all of those who wore and soiled their colours.

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 02:36:30 PM »
Another statue would be great.  I'm not so sure who it should be of but I know where I'd love it to be placed:  right in front of the Holte Hotel.  That walk down to the ground would be set off nicely with a great monument being the first thing to greet the eye as you approach the Hotel and the Holte End.

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 02:50:58 PM »
It's got to be Doug outside his stand surely.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 02:54:16 PM »
We should erect a statue of two cans of blue paint so that the Dogshitters can just touch them up every now and again.

Offline Darlo Dave

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 03:06:26 PM »
Salifou.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 03:11:00 PM »
Johnny Dixon, aloft on his team-mates shoulders holding the FA cup ?

UTV
The Doc

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 03:14:05 PM »
Tony Barton and Ron Saunders

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 03:17:54 PM »
Sid Cowans riding a Lion, driving a lance through some Blues.

Offline Trinitymiddle

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 03:18:18 PM »
Archie Hunter, especially for the last sentence of the passage below:-

Archibald "Archie" Hunter (23 September 1859, Joppa, nr. Ayr, Scotland – 29 November 1894, Aston, Birmingham, England), was the first captain of Aston Villa to lift the FA Cup, in 1887. He was one of Victorian football's first household names.
Hunter played at Third Lanark, Ayr Thistle, and Aston Villa, whom he signed for in August 1878, just four years after their formation. His Aston Villa career began 10 years before the commencement of the first Football League season. In his league career (1888–1891) he played 73 matches scoring 42 goals.
Despite being one of the greats of the 19th century game, Hunter never fulfilled his dream of playing for Scotland against England. This is because at the time the Scottish Football Association had a policy of not picking 'Anglo-Scots' (i.e. Scots who played in the English League).
Hunter originally came to Birmingham planning to sign for Calthorpe FC, but after failing to locate them was persuaded to sign for Villa instead after hearing of Aston Villa's Scottish connections. Hunter later recalled in his memoirs;
“   Aston Villa to me as a club that had come rapidly to the fore and asked me to become a member of it. I hesitated for some time, but at last my friend told me that a "brother Scot," Mr. George Ramsay, was the Villa captain and that decided me. Mr. Ramsay was a Glasgow man and had exerted himself very considerably to bring the Villa team into the front rank.   ”
—Archie Hunter, Triumphs of the Football Field
He was idolized by the crowds and became the first player to score in every round of the FA Cup in Villa's victorious 1887 campaign.
“   Archie Hunter was a prince of dribblers. It was not an unusual performance of his to start at the half way mark, and dribble through the whole of the opposing team! he would not lose the ball until he had literally dribbled it between the posts.   ”
—Association Football And The Men Who Made It (1906)
During a Football League match against Everton in 1890 Hunter suffered a heart attack and collapsed. He never played again, and died at the age of 35. It is said that, on his death-bed, he asked to be lifted up one last time to see the crowd going to Perry Barr (then Villa's home).

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2012, 03:23:32 PM »
Good old Archie. If I was at home I'd post the song that he used to sing in the Crown and Cushion.

Can someone do the honours?

This bloody dust gets everywhere.

Online The Left Side

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2012, 03:34:02 PM »
Sid Cowans riding a Lion, driving a lance through some Blues.

Hoorah

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2012, 04:03:13 PM »
We've got a McGregor statue and we've got statues of Lions, why not have have a water feature for a bit of difference?  We could replicate the 'rivers of piss' that was the lower Holte in the 70's and 80's.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2012, 04:03:37 PM »
Statues are usually memorials to exceptional people and it should remain that way.

There is nothing more cringeworthy than a person unveiling a statue of themselves.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal