collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Brad Guzan Depreciation thread.  (Read 188771 times)

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

Re: The Brad Guzan thread.
« Reply #720 on: January 16, 2016, 03:45:17 PM »
I'm not sure if the anger and insults directed at Guzan is due to the crap season both he and we are having, stupidity or just your typical football fan fickleness.

He's been an exceptional pro for us since he claimed the number 1 shirt back in the autumn of 2012. By 2013 we were all lining up to declare him Player of the Season. He followed that up with another great season, saving and earning us just as many points as Benteke. If he had one real weakeness, it was his kicking but other than that he's more than done his part in keeping us up every season.

Admittedly, this season he's been way below the standards he's set himself and there may be several reasons for that. I doubt he's had more than a couple of weeks off over the last few years, what with the World Cup and international summer tournaments for the US. The change in goalkeeping coach brought in by Sherwood (Tony Parks) and kept on by Garde is could possibly be another reason for his drop in form. The less said about the defence in front of him the better. It can't be easy for any goalkeeper so he has my sympathy. No doubt his confidence has taken a beating this season and it couldn't have helped reading since May how we were looking for (and failed to sign) a new goalkeeper.

Guzan is currently out the side due to his performances. Whether he's willing to try and fight his way back in the side is another matter. Sometimes a change of scene is as good as a rest and maybe a new club will help him get back to the standards he's shown for us and his international team over the years. He's been a more than decent keeper for us, as this thread clearly demonstrates but if he is to leave he'll go with my thanks for what he's done over the years, not some kneejerk reaction to him spitting his chewing gum or the few howlers he's let in this season.

Disagree entirely, there's nothing exceptional about him and there never has been. An average at best keeper, but for the last two seasons he's been utterly inept. The chewing gum incident is just the final straw. As in any job, if you're doing a shit job don't sit there taking the piss.

agree totally

put him up for sale and see who is interested

it will be like when we released him and no one wanted him

for nothing

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Re: The Brad Guzan Depreciation thread.
« Reply #721 on: January 16, 2016, 04:00:19 PM »
Jimmy Cumbes is Number 1 and I remember him throwing the ball into the back of his own net.

Leeds ?

Online john e

« Reply #722 on: January 16, 2016, 04:14:40 PM »
I'm not sure if the anger and insults directed at Guzan is due to the crap season both he and we are having, stupidity or just your typical football fan fickleness.

He's been an exceptional pro for us since he claimed the number 1 shirt back in the autumn of 2012. By 2013 we were all lining up to declare him Player of the Season. He followed that up with another great season, saving and earning us just as many points as Benteke. If he had one real weakeness, it was his kicking but other than that he's more than done his part in keeping us up every season.

Admittedly, this season he's been way below the standards he's set himself and there may be several reasons for that. I doubt he's had more than a couple of weeks off over the last few years, what with the World Cup and international summer tournaments for the US. The change in goalkeeping coach brought in by Sherwood (Tony Parks) and kept on by Garde is could possibly be another reason for his drop in form. The less said about the defence in front of him the better. It can't be easy for any goalkeeper so he has my sympathy. No doubt his confidence has taken a beating this season and it couldn't have helped reading since May how we were looking for (and failed to sign) a new goalkeeper.

Guzan is currently out the side due to his performances. Whether he's willing to try and fight his way back in the side is another matter. Sometimes a change of scene is as good as a rest and maybe a new club will help him get back to the standards he's shown for us and his international team over the years. He's been a more than decent keeper for us, as this thread clearly demonstrates but if he is to leave he'll go with my thanks for what he's done over the years, not some kneejerk reaction to him spitting his chewing gum or the few howlers he's let in this season.
Very good post, I'd agree with all of this. He's not alone in a huge loss of form. If we had more quality, better management and coaching he might himself be in better form.

He's done brilliantly for us in previous seasons and this hatred towards him does not sit comfortably with me.

I also agree with the two posters above, but I think we are fighting a losing battle now
his every move is now analysed to a ridiculous degree, if the next keeper is judged by the same standards he will also be found wanting

all keepers make mistakes, all keepers are beaten at the near post, just look at Joe Hart and Petr Cech this season, it didn't make them bad keepers

where I would agree with the criticisms would be on his distribution ie his kicking, that is woefull and he hasn't improved

but iv'e said this before, whatever goalkeeper we bring in on the budgets we have will be no better probably worse,
imo we would be far better trying to get Guzans confidence going again and try and get him back to his best

and people using a messing about with chewing gum as a valid reason to give him pelters just shows how pathetic the arguments have become, that's why I say we are fighting a losing battle,
 you cant argue with a closed mind

Offline johnny from donny

« Reply #723 on: January 16, 2016, 04:16:54 PM »
Jimmy Cumbes is Number 1 and I remember him throwing the ball into the back of his own net.

Leeds ?
That was Gary Sprake I think

Online john e

« Reply #724 on: January 16, 2016, 04:19:32 PM »

Leeds ?

no first game of the season I think early 70's against leeds, he threw one in the net (not quite but it looked like that)
I could be wrong of course  as my memory is shot

Offline supertom

« Reply #725 on: January 16, 2016, 05:07:29 PM »
Guzan is a strong personality. I think he has a big influence in the dressing room. Often under Lambert if we had team huddles in the center circle before the game, Guzan would orchestrate. So for me the key issue here, is whether Guzan still has a positive influence on the side or not. Does he unify the dressing room or contribute to the supposed splits?
His form is woefully out of soughts. He needs a spell out, that's for sure, but if his attitude has soured then he also needs to be shown the exit door ASAP.
I think we've clearly got a few poisonous personalities in the squad. Whether Guzan is one, who knows, but anyone undermining the manager has to go. Gabby for one has been found out. I wonder how many others have.

Online john e

« Reply #726 on: January 16, 2016, 05:25:00 PM »
Guzan is a strong personality. I think he has a big influence in the dressing room. Often under Lambert if we had team huddles in the center circle before the game, Guzan would orchestrate. So for me the key issue here, is whether Guzan still has a positive influence on the side or not. Does he unify the dressing room or contribute to the supposed splits?
His form is woefully out of soughts. He needs a spell out, that's for sure, but if his attitude has soured then he also needs to be shown the exit door ASAP.
I think we've clearly got a few poisonous personalities in the squad. Whether Guzan is one, who knows, but anyone undermining the manager has to go. Gabby for one has been found out. I wonder how many others have.

I don't disagree with any of that

Offline alanclare

• Went to school in Aston
  • GM : 02.08.2021
« Reply #727 on: January 17, 2016, 02:46:35 PM »

As in any job, if you're doing a shit job don't sit there taking the piss.
Fine example ofi Shakespearean English.t
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 02:48:47 PM by alanclare »

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #728 on: January 17, 2016, 03:18:55 PM »
Guzan has had one good season where he was probably playing beyond his ability. But that is history. He's been poor for us for the last season and a half. Positioning, shot stopping, distribution, all of them weaknesses in his game.

I'm glad he's been dropped because it's been coming for a while now.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #729 on: January 17, 2016, 03:28:10 PM »
Guzan has had one good season where he was probably playing beyond his ability. But that is history. He's been poor for us for the last season and a half. Positioning, shot stopping, distribution, all of them weaknesses in his game.

He was dropped last season as well Chris, but then Sherwood seemed to give up the search for a new keeper when we missed out on Begovic.  Time to move on.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #730 on: January 17, 2016, 03:30:19 PM »

He was dropped last season as well Chris, but then Sherwood seemed to give up the search for a new keeper when we missed out on Begovic.  Time to move on.
You're right, after Man City away. Should've stayed dropped.

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #731 on: January 17, 2016, 03:46:45 PM »

Leeds ?

no first game of the season I think early 70's against leeds, he threw one in the net (not quite but it looked like that)

75-76 v Leeds, first game of the season, Cumbes made an absolute howler, footage can be found in the Memories section.  I also remember him letting in more than one soft goal in games v West Brom.  Still liked him though.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #732 on: January 17, 2016, 10:39:26 PM »

Leeds ?

75-76 v Leeds, first game of the season, Cumbes made an absolute howler, footage can be found in the Memories section.  I also remember him letting in more than one soft goal in games v West Brom.  Still liked him though.

Shocking fumble against Leeds. The Albion game may be the one.

Offline levico

« Reply #733 on: January 18, 2016, 03:44:22 PM »
Definitely against Albion - I remember it well.

Online john e

« Reply #734 on: January 18, 2016, 04:35:14 PM »
Then he (Cumbes) went and played cricket in the summer, those were the days

I think he's one of the top blokes at old Trafford now, don't know if he's still there

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal