collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Brad Guzan Depreciation thread.  (Read 188808 times)

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
Re: The Brad Guzan Appreciation thread.
« Reply #585 on: August 23, 2015, 07:15:27 PM »
The 4 in defence have to work with him and Amavi and Richards are new. The whole 5 are not used to working together yet.

Brad is an international goalie and maybe pressure during a match like yesterday comes from misunderstandings within the defensive team.

Richards taking more of a lead in crucial moments can certainly help but time and training between them and their seconds will probably be most effective to build confidence in each other and improve decision making under pressure, in the long run.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #586 on: August 24, 2015, 08:06:25 AM »
In terms of ability, Guzan is a very good goal-keeper. His downfall, in my opinion, is in his decision making and that is a huge flaw and what separates him for the likes of Friedel  and even (in his prime) Given.

The mistake on Saturday was unarguably Amavi's But you have to question why he even had the ball in that area of the pitch, at that time of the game. The fact that it was Scott Dann who dispossessed him shows how out of position Palace were and it’s nonsensical that Guzan didn’t play an early ball up-field to capitalise. I’ve heard people say that “all Amavi had to do was put his foot through it” but that’s exactly why he shouldn’t have had the ball in the first place. If that was his only option then Guzan’s just passed the buck to him.

I said the same about his error at Man City last season. Although it was a mis-kick that lead to the goal, if you watch the couple of minutes prior to it, Guzan had tried to play out from the back a couple of times and had just been given the ball back as there was no clear route away from goal and Aguero was loitering with intent. Why he was even trying to play out to the full-back again was utterly beyond me.

I’ve said it all summer and maintain that we need an upgrade, asap.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #587 on: August 24, 2015, 08:19:44 AM »
I agree Russell.  He's an integral part of the culture of defeat, but I suspect we'll be stuck with him for the rest of the season.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #588 on: August 24, 2015, 08:22:20 AM »
Agree with all of that. Brad is an enigma. He speaks well with intelligence and good command of his opinions and their articulation but on the pitch he is such a duffer. He seems constantly caught in two minds. If you watch him warm up he is fed numerous bck passes to clear with his right foot and he does so with competence. Then in the game he will always take two touches from a back pass to use his left foot giving time for a challenge on him. How many times have you seen him rush with the ball to edge of the area then stop dead and eventually hoof the ball long. Constantly caught in two minds. I am not convinced by what we have seen of Bunn but having a goal put past him after 28 seconds at Forest did not help his confidence.

Offline warleyboy

« Reply #589 on: August 24, 2015, 09:19:14 AM »
I'm hoping Bunn will have a great game against Notts Co which he can hopefully take into the Sunderland game.
If there was ever a chance to grab the bull by the horns, his time is now.

I have a soft spot for Guzan, very likeable, but he is a weak link in the team, as is Bacuna and Gabby.
We cannot afford to have a weak keeper with the team also trying to gel.
time for change.

Online KRS

« Reply #590 on: August 24, 2015, 12:03:34 PM »
If you want to take criticism to the extreme, then the decision by Guzan on Saturday essentially lead to costing us a point...and if we have a bad season, then that point could be the difference between relegation and staying up. I'm sure that wont be the only late goal or unnecessary mistake that costs us points this season but it needs to be stop.

Offline LTA

« Reply #591 on: August 24, 2015, 12:50:30 PM »
I'm not sure if this needs a new thread, but his problems with distribution have really reached a farcical level now, have they not? It wasn't just the second goal either - he'd already made a couple of poor kicks and put the fullbacks into awkward positions prior to that; and his kicking at Bournemouth wasn't good either. If GK distribution is important to how Sherwood wants to play, he can't persist with Guzan despite his other qualities; if distribution isn't that big a deal, he should basically be told to belt it upfield every single time.

It's a shame because I thought he commanded his box well and looked secure the couple of times he was faced with a shot he could actually save.

I don't get it when people rave about keepers being good shot stoppers.  Surely that should be a basic requirement for any keeper?

Sadly I think Guzan has become too complacent with no real pressure for his place in the side.  Now he is coming under closer scrutiny, he isn't dealing with it very well.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #592 on: August 24, 2015, 01:01:34 PM »
Not sure on Guzan. I soon formed the opinion that Carson was well dodgy though, and was amazed at his England call-up.

Offline somec

• GM : 01.08.2020
« Reply #593 on: August 24, 2015, 01:06:35 PM »
So is Bunn the No 2 choice now?

What happened to that other GK we got from Norwich, Jed Someone?

Has he started for us? Has he now moved down the pecking order?

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #594 on: August 24, 2015, 01:20:29 PM »
Has he started for us? Has he now moved down the pecking order?

Started against Burnley on the last day of last season. Along with various early rounds of the cups over the last couple of years

Online Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #595 on: August 24, 2015, 01:23:14 PM »
In terms of ability, Guzan is a very good goal-keeper. His downfall, in my opinion, is in his decision making and that is a huge flaw and what separates him for the likes of Friedel  and even (in his prime) Given.

The mistake on Saturday was unarguably Amavi's But you have to question why he even had the ball in that area of the pitch, at that time of the game. The fact that it was Scott Dann who dispossessed him shows how out of position Palace were and it’s nonsensical that Guzan didn’t play an early ball up-field to capitalise. I’ve heard people say that “all Amavi had to do was put his foot through it” but that’s exactly why he shouldn’t have had the ball in the first place. If that was his only option then Guzan’s just passed the buck to him.

I said the same about his error at Man City last season. Although it was a mis-kick that lead to the goal, if you watch the couple of minutes prior to it, Guzan had tried to play out from the back a couple of times and had just been given the ball back as there was no clear route away from goal and Aguero was loitering with intent. Why he was even trying to play out to the full-back again was utterly beyond me.

I’ve said it all summer and maintain that we need an upgrade, asap.

Completely agree about this.  It was like some bloody 3 way chuckle brothers convention between Guzan, Vlaar and I think Richardson in the minute or so before the goal.  It looked like we were time wasting after 2 minutes of the game which is another criticism. 
Go back two years when he gave that early ball over the top for Weimann to score the winner against Man City, and then think when was the  last time he tried something similar?

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #596 on: August 24, 2015, 02:23:56 PM »
Odd isn't it? It's like the coaching staff have encouraged him to play out form the back as often as possible and he's taken this literally, without really thinking about what's going on around him. The panic that he omits then seems to resonate through the whole team, particularly the back 4.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #597 on: August 24, 2015, 02:50:52 PM »
reading the last couple of pages of this thread you would have thought Guzan had picked the ball up and thrown it into his own net,
 when in reality he threw the ball out to another players feet,
 admittedly Amavi was soon pressured but here's the thing defenders from time to time are going to be put in tricky situations preferably not by their own players, but it happens, and will have to deal with it,

so the rest of the game what did he do wrong ?
he made a string of good to reasonable saves, well that's what he's there to do but plenty of goalkeepers don't, caught a few of his line, didn't drop the ball, had a good to reasonable match overall,
he put the ball into touch once wow wee, lets all lose sleep over that

goalkeepers will not have perfect games, the fella everyone was going on about Begovic made a Guzan man city type error in his debut game in pre season, so it happenes to the best, look at Chech at Arsenal not a great start

I'm in no way absolving Guzan for his Man City blooper which was massive, and he was dropped for it, and the lesser keeper Given came in and all to soon we were calling for Guzan to return

Guzan is now the scapegoat, he didn't make the actual mistake on Saturday but never the less gets the blame for it because oh the player that made the mistake is the new crowd favourite

in three games we have let in 3 goals, its not horrendous, and all in all he has kept well,
if he goes on a spree of really shit goalkeeping then I will add my name for the call for him to be replaced but Saturdays performance wasn't anything like as bad as people are saying

I know people have made there minds up on Guzan and that's fair enough I've done the same with certain other players,
but it still doesn't mean they are right, in my view they are bang wrong,
 Guzan will save us points this season far more than he costs us, and has been doing for the last 3/4 seasons

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #598 on: August 24, 2015, 02:57:10 PM »
reading the last couple of pages of this thread you would have thought Guzan had picked the ball up and thrown it into his own net,
 when in reality he threw the ball out to another players feet,
 admittedly Amavi was soon pressured but here's the thing defenders from time to time are going to be put in tricky situations preferably not by their own players, but it happens, and will have to deal with it,

so the rest of the game what did he do wrong ?
he made a string of good to reasonable saves, well that's what he's there to do but plenty of goalkeepers don't, caught a few of his line, didn't drop the ball, had a good to reasonable match overall,
he put the ball into touch once wow wee, lets all lose sleep over that

goalkeepers will not have perfect games, the fella everyone was going on about Begovic made a Guzan man city type error in his debut game in pre season, so it happenes to the best, look at Chech at Arsenal not a great start

I'm in no way absolving Guzan for his Man City blooper which was massive, and he was dropped for it, and the lesser keeper Given came in and all to soon we were calling for Guzan to return

Guzan is now the scapegoat, he didn't make the actual mistake on Saturday but never the less gets the blame for it because oh the player that made the mistake is the new crowd favourite

in three games we have let in 3 goals, its not horrendous, and all in all he has kept well,
if he goes on a spree of really shit goalkeeping then I will add my name for the call for him to be replaced but Saturdays performance wasn't anything like as bad as people are saying

I know people have made there minds up on Guzan and that's fair enough I've done the same with certain other players,
but it still doesn't mean they are right, in my view they are bang wrong,
 Guzan will save us points this season far more than he costs us, and has been doing for the last 3/4 seasons

Hurrah a sense of reason.

Offline Slaphead

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #599 on: August 24, 2015, 03:00:12 PM »
I don't need to add more to this as I completely agree with John e. I think he has been encouraged to always play from the back and with an inexperienced team like ours we will often be put under pressure for it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal